Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK i synced my i tunes library to my pre and went to delete some songs the way it tells u to do it on the phone but my songs arent in any of the folders, in fact it doesn't even show a music folder at all.
    I'm having the same problem. Anybody with any insight here?
    Bumpity-bump.
  4.    #4  
    no one has any idea?
    All I did was the swipe the song from left to right and it deleted it. Sort of wish it would ask, or show the delete option as it does in text... If that is not working for you then open the pre as a usb drive. You'll need to show hidden folders (tools, folder options, view, show hidden files and folders). Then you'll see iPod Control, Music then folders. They are labeled oddly, F1 through F19 on mine. My music was in F4, again the files will be labeled oddly but you should be able to make out which one you want to delete.
    Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by palmit View Post
    All I did was the swipe the song from left to right and it deleted it. Sort of wish it would ask, or show the delete option as it does in text... If that is not working for you then open the pre as a usb drive. You'll need to show hidden folders (tools, folder options, view, show hidden files and folders). Then you'll see iPod Control, Music then folders. They are labeled oddly, F1 through F19 on mine. My music was in F4, again the files will be labeled oddly but you should be able to make out which one you want to delete.
    Good luck
    I couldn't do it your easy way that worked for you. But I was able do it the hard way via Win Explorer. You're right. Weird filing system.
    Odd, when I went back into music the file I thought I deleted was there again. So I guess it is only the "hard way". I've not tried to see if I can delete via iTunes...
    You can't see the songs on the Pre while it's connected to iTunes. Don't know why.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    i transfer some music and when i put it as a ring tone it wont even come up
    Quote Originally Posted by palmit View Post
    Odd, when I went back into music the file I thought I deleted was there again. So I guess it is only the "hard way". I've not tried to see if I can delete via iTunes...
    Same thing happened to me.

This is gonna be a problem if they don't give us a workaround soon. The guidebook's directions are simply wrong and other attempts aren't working. Help Palm! Help!
    The only way I was able to create a new ringtone was to go into Pre as USB and put the music I wanted as a ringtone in the RINGTONE folder. That you see without showing hidden files. Then when you go to the ringtones on the pre you will see the added songs
  12.    #12  
    I've had no problem setting my ringtones. but the only way i've been able to delete my songs is thru itunes.
    Windows Media - Explore Device - shows all or open pluses - right click - rename or delete song
    Anybody have success with deleting songs from the Pre?

I've been able to delete songs, but they still appear on the music list, although when you try to play them, the player skips the song that's been deleted and moves on to the next song that's actually there.

Net net, the player still lists songs whose files no longer exist on the device. WTF?
    Can't you just unflag songs or delete songs form itunes and have it synch again? Maybe it will take the songs off that way?

The only advantage I see to using itunes is that it puts the album art on the Pre in such a way that the Pre recognizes it. If you have album art together with your songs on your computer, and you create a folder called "Music" (for example) on the Pre with Windows Explorer, and then copy everything into that folder, then you do have all your music accessible in the Pres media player, but the album art is not there.....instead, the album art is all over your pictures folder, what a mess.

So, I am just careful what songs I want on my pre and just have those in itunes. You can also hook up your pre up to your pc again and delete the whole itunes folder. Then organize the music that you really want in itunes and just synch it again. Long way to do it, but I suppose it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Can't you just unflag songs or delete songs form itunes and have it synch again? Maybe it will take the songs off that way?

The only advantage I see to using itunes is that it puts the album art on the Pre in such a way that the Pre recognizes it. If you have album art together with your songs on your computer, and you create a folder called "Music" (for example) on the Pre with Windows Explorer, and then copy everything into that folder, then you do have all your music accessible in the Pres media player, but the album art is not there.....instead, the album art is all over your pictures folder, what a mess.

So, I am just careful what songs I want on my pre and just have those in itunes. You can also hook up your pre up to your pc again and delete the whole itunes folder. Then organize the music that you really want in itunes and just synch it again. Long way to do it, but I suppose it works.
    You can't edit your song lists on the Pre from iTunes. It won't let you touch them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TREOpalooza View Post
    You can't edit your song lists on the Pre from iTunes. It won't let you touch them.
    Yeah I haven't messed with that part of itunes at all. Personally I don't like itunes, I am one of the few people that find it unintuitive and cumbersome. But since I wanted all the music that I stuffed into itunes on my Pre, I never even looked to see if anything could be edited or not.

Well...there's always plan B, clean up your song list by deleting songs you don't want out of itunes, delete the itunes folder on the pre, and synch all over again.
    It works exactly the same as an iPod. If you sync with itunes it creates hidden folders (which you can see if you turn that option on in windows explorer on a PC). It then creates folders with songs in it that may not look like what you're expecting. Basically it's treating the pre just like it would a iPod, so you can search to do anything on it in that mode using the term iPod instead of palm pre.

Also you can 'delete' songs by swiping them from left to right, but in my experience it doesn't really delete it as refreshing or reloading the music app brings it back. This may only be true if you're syncing with itunes, not if you just copy files onto the pre.

I tried to post a link to more info, but I don't have ten posts yet so I can't. Search google for transferring music from ipod to computer, or hidden ipod files and you can find articles explaining it better than I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Yeah I haven't messed with that part of itunes at all. Personally I don't like itunes, I am one of the few people that find it unintuitive and cumbersome. But since I wanted all the music that I stuffed into itunes on my Pre, I never even looked to see if anything could be edited or not.

Well...there's always plan B, clean up your song list by deleting songs you don't want out of itunes, delete the itunes folder on the pre, and synch all over again.

This worked for me. I wanted Itunes to only sync my top rated. Soooo...I deleted the itunes folder on Pre and resynced. :-)
    You wrote: "files will be labeled oddly but you should be able to make out which one you want to delete" When I look in those folders, I see things like JIH.mp3 and RRI.mp4a. How in the world do I figure out which one is the song I want to delete?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast