Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    I tried ssh, i tried telnet, i tried cygwin and no luck. Finally when I was about to give up I tried data recover which worked! It started listing the files that were hidden. It seems all the applications that you download from the app store are located in /downloads/ as hidden folders. There are 2 GZ files (gzip) 2 debian files and if I remember correctly a .py (python) file but I could be mistaken on that one. I didn't feel like waiting 2 hours to finish the scan so I gave up since it was trial software anyways and wouldn't be able to copy the files to my local pc for further browsing.

Anyways now that you know how to browse the OS system files have a go at it!
    Nice find! I had unhidden the hidden files in Windows yesterday but didn't find too much of note that way.
    Nice, just opened the door to adjustments. Thanks......
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    sorry I was wrong it was pem not py.

control.tar.gz
    data.tar.gz
    debian-binary
    pubkey.pem
    signature.sha1
    and a folder controlTmp
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    sorry I was wrong it was pem not py.

control.tar.gz
    data.tar.gz
    debian-binary
    pubkey.pem
    signature.sha1
    and a folder controlTmp
    Thats a public key, probably used to verify the package from where you got it. Would be interested in looking inside those tar.gz files.
    This brings back memories.... *sigh* I wish Shadowmite were here...
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Did anyone check for a hidden partition? I'd doubt the USB drive mode would show anymore than the FAT32 but it's worth a try.

EDIT: Got nothin' from windows disk management tool. Let me boot into linux, but I still doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinAli View Post
    Did anyone check for a hidden partition? I'd doubt the USB drive mode would show anymore than the FAT32 but it's worth a try.

EDIT: Got nothin' from windows disk management tool. Let me boot into linux, but I still doubt it.
    I tried this on my mac, but I think it doesn't just mount the whole device. It only showed up as one single partition. When you unmount the partition the usb device disappears so I think WebOS is doing something to allow the drives to mount.
    The data tar contains program code. I was hoping Palm's SDK would provide more protection to the software itself.

EDIT: I'm going to see if I can modify a program. If anything, I know the exact location of the Mojo framework JavaScript file.

EDIT2: oh god I am not going to goto sleep tonight am I?
    How exactly did you get to these files, like the data recovery part? Curious as to what you did.

I also tried doing a port scan on the phone after connecting to it via bluetooth PAN, no ports came up open. They probably have a firewall on there. If you could get a script to do an 'ls -lR /' or something like that somehow and get a full list of files then we could see whats there at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    How exactly did you get to these files, like the data recovery part? Curious as to what you did.

I also tried doing a port scan on the phone after connecting to it via bluetooth PAN, no ports came up open. They probably have a firewall on there. If you could get a script to do an 'ls -lR /' or something like that somehow and get a full list of files then we could see whats there at least.
    Data Recovery - Smart Data Recovery

Used this program, did the "extended" scan mode. The normal scan will not be able to recover the files.

After that, the hidden files are your oyster. Just for clarification, the Mojo framework javascript file is located on the Pre's main partition, which I do not have access to. You'll see once you open an app's index.html file.

EDIT: Checked out the control tar, contains basic app info like this

Package: com.***.***.***.palm.pre
    Version: *.*.*
    Section: misc
    Priority: optional
    Architecture: all
    Maintainer: SomeGuy <palm@palm.com>
    Description: SomeGuy's Program
    Installed-Size: *

I've starred everything for no reason other than a little bit of respect, I guess, but the omitted information isn't the important part. Section is an obvious descriptor, declaring what genre the app is. Priority is something I'd have to look more into, but Architecture is quite interesting. I'm guessing "all" means it supports all webOS devices as it's a Mojo based application. In the case of the Classic application (which I do not see anywhere), I would bet the descriptor would say TI-OMAP-3430 or something.

This proves something already proven; native apps are possible (duhhhhh). This also means that Palm might be considering releasing a native SDK, which would be great. Of course this is all speculation.
    Last edited by ShinAli; 06/09/2009 at 12:57 AM.
    I am using dd on my mac to pull a disk image to see if I can extract anything out of it. Its going like 1MB/s might take a while.
    Let me know what you get out of it. I'm going to try to download every program from the app market to get a better clue.
    Because Palm is being good and being compliant with all the open sources licenses, unlike some companies, they have actually provided us with a list of the components which make up webOS. This is pretty cool. One that really excites me is the Host AP linux wifi driver. This gets its name from the fact that it can run the 802.11 card in "Host AP mode, which allows a WLAN card to perform all the functions of an access point." Aka once we root this bad boy we will have PdaNet style tethering no problem! Other interesting ones are dropbear (ssh server!), Legion of the Bouncy Castle Java Crypto APIs, and libpcap. Oh and it seems Mojo is built on Prototype/Scriptaculous (which you may or may not like). Linux gurus, its your time to shine!
    Quote Originally Posted by emkman View Post
    Because Palm is being good and being compliant with all the open sources licenses, unlike some companies, they have actually provided us with a list of the components which make up webOS. This is pretty cool. One that really excites me is the Host AP linux wifi driver. This gets its name from the fact that it can run the 802.11 card in "Host AP mode, which allows a WLAN card to perform all the functions of an access point." Aka once we root this bad boy we will have PdaNet style tethering no problem! Other interesting ones are dropbear (ssh server!), Legion of the Bouncy Castle Java Crypto APIs, and libpcap. Oh and it seems Mojo is built on Prototype/Scriptaculous (which you may or may not like). Linux gurus, its your time to shine!
    Linux gurus, do what this man says, he speaks the truth.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    My image file is 4GB so far, I guess I will let it keep going. Most of it is probably empty space, but seeing as we don't know where on the thing the data is exactly... For all we know the important stuff could be at the end, or not there at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    My image file is 4GB so far, I guess I will let it keep going. Most of it is probably empty space, but seeing as we don't know where on the thing the data is exactly... For all we know the important stuff could be at the end, or not there at all.
    Did you add the bs= parameter for DD? bs=1M has the transfer going over 9MB/s for me.
    I did the extended scan with PC Data Recovery and got none of the files listed by OP. I am gonna hook it up to OS X now and see if the bsd tools are any better. Once you get the dump, maybe you and PreGame can upload them somewhere for people to play with. I think a good first step is turning off the firewall. Then maybe we can ssh in. I assume the system is signed somehow and the key/checksum might be an issue, but heres hoping.
    Quote Originally Posted by RawsonDR View Post
    Did you add the bs= parameter for DD? bs=1M has the transfer going over 9MB/s for me.
    Ahhh no.. oops, it is using whatever the default is. 6.7G copied so far. I have been letting it run while I am working.

And Emkman, I don't know if it would be a good idea to share an image because a) some people don't own the phone or palm might not like it being shared. and b) It might have our personal information, phone ID etc, somewhere in there.

Otherwise it would probably compress pretty small once its ripped as long as theres not much on there.
    image came out to be 6.7GB, which I think is the size of the storage for the user. The image even mounts exactly like it does when you plug the device in.
    Here is what the file command reports on the disk image:

Desktop/predisk.img: x86 boot sector, mkdosfs boot message display, code offset 0x58, OEM-ID " mkdosfs", sectors/cluster 64, FAT 1, Media descriptor 0xf8, heads 4, sectors 14024704 (volumes > 32 MB) , FAT (32 bit), sectors/FAT 1712, serial number 0x401405f7, label: "PALM PRE "

I haven't been able to discover anything else out of it though. The only files I have extracted were ones I knew were there already.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast