Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emkman View Post
    Oh and it seems Mojo is built on Prototype/Scriptaculous (which you may or may not like). Linux gurus, its your time to shine!
    Not sure that's the case. In this release of the software Prototype is packaged in, but Palm has said not to rely on that always being there -- not sure if they mean that they may change the codebase or that it just may never have been intended to have stayed.
    Does anyone see access to Palms default alert tones (the ones for messages that you cant change)??

If so, you should be able to make a new alert tone on your computer, give it the same name & then copy it back to the phone (overwriting the old file).
    Quote Originally Posted by valvalis View Post
    Not sure that's the case. In this release of the software Prototype is packaged in, but Palm has said not to rely on that always being there -- not sure if they mean that they may change the codebase or that it just may never have been intended to have stayed.
    In the videos I've watched and documentation I've read it appeared as though developers could RELY on having the prototype library being available all the time. Not sure about scriptalicious though. The videoes and docs I've seen also stated explicitly that the Mojo SDK javascript libraries were NOT relying on any 3rd party libs (so you are right that they do not appear to be built on top of them). Another thing I watched and read was that they would fully support app developers including additional javascript libs if they wanted and indicated they should work fine (they gave jQuery as an example).

REALLY looking forward to this SDK being released to the public (or at least to me ;-) ). In the mean time lets continue the effort to root this thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Does anyone see access to Palms default alert tones (the ones for messages that you cant change)??

If so, you should be able to make a new alert tone on your computer, give it the same name & then copy it back to the phone (overwriting the old file).
    this is a long way from rooting but it would still be nice if this was possible :-)
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    I'm posting this from my pre! I'm glad my OP put everyone in the right direction. I am at work now so can't do any partitioning but when I get home I will do more work on it. If everyone can post what you find it will help everyone.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    glad to finally see some folks working on this. keep us updated as i'm sure several of us will be keeping a very close eye on this thread
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    Ahhh no.. oops, it is using whatever the default is. 6.7G copied so far. I have been letting it run while I am working.

And Emkman, I don't know if it would be a good idea to share an image because a) some people don't own the phone or palm might not like it being shared. and b) It might have our personal information, phone ID etc, somewhere in there.

Otherwise it would probably compress pretty small once its ripped as long as theres not much on there.
    I do not want anyone's personal information being exposed against their will. I did not necessarily mean sharing it publicly, but perhaps with some people who are working on this. I think we may need a wiki to organize our information. Threads only go so far.

Quote Originally Posted by valvalis View Post
    Your right, I falsely assumed Mojo was built on this, but Palm may have simply used it for a single application. I imagine developers will be able to use whatever libs they want, whether its jQuery or moo tools or whatever. Can't wait for the SDK.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    i've got plenty of webspace for a wiki if nobody directly working on this has their own. just pm me and i can get it set up
    phwelo: I just set up a free one on wikidot. I am thinking for now, that is should be viewable by anyone but write access will be invite only. Do people generally agree with this? I do not want spam or newbs editing articles to ask questions.
    Might be worth trying it with everyone allowed to edit and then change to invite only if it becomes a problem. Just my $0.02 though. I don't mind going through the invite process to get access.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    windows users: i used the tool testdisk to extract these out. it worked like a charm and didn't take time as it sounds like the others do

eh nvm, using this utility files are 0bytes empty - looks like i'll have to scan the whole thing first - which doesn't save time over the other options
    Last edited by phwelo; 06/09/2009 at 01:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Are you sure the file system you've been able to dd isn't just the data portion of the device? (ie., music, photos, etc.)
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    btw, this is from another thread. it contains the entire root file system, just unzip it down to nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre_p...0ewwsprint.jar

i'm fairly sure that this along with some programming knowledge and we'll have a rooted pre
    Thanks phwelo. The wiki is up and running: pre p0wn wiki: Welcome to the Pre p0wn wiki
    My only question is, should I enable the forum, so we can have one solely for hacking, or would you all rather use this forum? It would be less cluttered over there, but less people will see it. For now, you can join the site with the password 'hackthepre' Please fill in any useful information you have and invite people who can help. I need to get back to my real job, but when I get home I will check the updates. If there is any spam or junk, I will disable the password. Just PM me for an invite in that case.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phwelo View Post
    btw, this is from another thread. it contains the entire root file system, just unzip it down to nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs

i'm fairly sure that this along with some programming knowledge and we'll have a rooted pre
    Wow! It's all there. All the apps.

The SyncML client is Funambol's. It is located in the java directory.

I thought this part was cool (from devicewipe.jar):

"Got Device Wipe SMS message in scheduler job"

I suspect the lost iPhone locate feature for the PrPrPr&#$275$; $is$ $coming$ $very$, $very$ $soon$. $It$'$s$ $as$ $simple$ $as$ $writing$ $an$ $apps$ $that$ $looks$ $for$ $a$ $special$ $SMS$ $message$ $and$ $goes$ $from$ $there$. $Easy$, $easy$, $easy$.
    Yep, its a shame cause I got the domain prelocator.com, but an early access partner or Palm themselves will probably beat me to it. Oh well. The most interesting thing I found so far is that the UTMS firmware is already done and is included in there right along side the CDMA firmware. That and the filesystem map in the installer config XML. There is a bunch of good stuff in there, could keep me busy for hours. Arrgg stupid day job.
    How did someone gain access to the root system??

I'd LOVE to be able to get SSH going & root into my Pre from the computer over my WiFi network.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    How did someone gain access to the root system??

I'd LOVE to be able to get SSH going & root into my Pre from the computer over my WiFi network.
    No ssh, but there is a telnetd.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    #
    # bootmisc.sh Miscellaneous things to be done during bootup.
    #

Can we use this to run scripts and gain root? I know squat about linux but this is etc\init.d

I'd assume edit that, pile it all back in, use the java tool to reflash, and go?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgus View Post
    No ssh, but there is a telnetd.
    I believe this is how android was rooted. I don't remember what exactly was involved but I do remember that the first thing I had to type on my G1 to get root was telnetd.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast