Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. enjoyingsilence
    i've had my palm pre for a few days and wanted to share a interesting story about my current relationship with the device, Palm (as a company), Sprint, and BestBuy (where I purchased it).

Sunday night *june 7th* I decided to use the erase device feature of the palm profile website. Well, as the rumors say: it bricked my phone. After 2 calls to PALM tech support, I got no where, they seemed to be more concerned with my satisfaction of the device, and consistently asked "survey like questions".

This morning, Monay june 8th, I gave up, and called Palm corporate, and asked to leave a message with Mr Rubenstein. I was transferred to his administrative assistant, who took down my information, and assured me someone would call me.

15 minutes later, a representative from engineering called me, walked me thru a number of recovery features on the device, assisted me in the restore of WebOS, and restoring my palm profile backup! Took no more than half an hour.

sweet , I'm back online Called Mr Rubensteinss administrative assistant, thanked her for helping me, and continued my day.

LATER that day, I had to make a run to the sprint store, to get the Sprint Air Rave, mini cell phone tower thing, for your house... since i don't get good coverage @ home. At least it has wifi for data, but I need to be able to make calls.

I live 45 minutes from the nearest sprint store, and called to make sure they had one in stock. I'm told yes, and asked if they'd hold it for me. And that I'd be there in about an hour to hour in half.

Arrival at sprint store.. 1 to 1.5 hour wait. Finally a rep calls my name, and it turns out, they only had the demo unit. After I asked the woman, on the phone, if it was in stock. In stock means you have one or more you can sell. Not just a demo unit. They can't sell the demo unit.

So I leave, I'm upset, the Sprint rep gets chewed out for incompetence. And I'm dreading a 45 minute ride back home. I guess in the course of getting into the car, I set my phone on the trunk lid, and forgot (yes, I was this mad, and out of it, about the air rave, and such)... and ran it over when I backed out.

No biggie. I had purchased the best buy geek squad black tie mobile protection plan eh? Drove a mile up the road to Best Buy. Long line, waited about an hour in line, because the people in line kept asking useless pointless questions about their upgrade, and the poor best buy mobile rep had to repeat herself about 40 times. I felt bad for her, until she got to me....

"How can I help you". Yes, I bough this last saturday, and I just ran it over, accidental damage is covered on your protection plan, can you help me out here? I know you also give loaners phones.

"Well we don't have any". Ok I understand, that's fine... but what of this protection plan claims process, how does it work, what about loaner phones, do I have to pay for them up front, and get refunded over time? How do I make sure my Pre is replaced, etc etc.

"We don't know when we're getting more, due to inventory constraints, and not sure about the loaner".

(best buy was near closing time of 9 pm)... so she's rushing anyway... Well as she's calling some number to help her out with determining what loaner phone I get, the managers shut the power off in the store, and ask everyone to leave.

She tells me basically, to call back on certain mornings, to see if there are any pre's in stock so they can replace mine... and that if I get a loaner phone, it's a dinky little phone. Aka the "free sprint phone". that doesn't have a keyboard, wifi, email, webbrowser, gps, etc...

Given the circumstances of this situation, I hardly think it's fair, considering most of us don't know when best buy will be getting more in. Also, she said best buy doesn't call me when they get stock of the replacement device, that it's up to me to call and figure out if they have it, even if I take a loaner phone. WHICH MEANS they keep the broken pre somewhere.

Nuh uh. I don't think so....

So.. tomorrow morning, back up to best buy, bear in mind, it's nearly a 100 mile round trip, to talk to the bb mobile supervisor (who actually setup my account) to figure this whole shaboozie out.

---

as of now, I'm disappointed with the entire thing. I cannot use my phone, I've just spent a lot of money on something which no one has any idea will be back in stock anywhere on the planet allegedly, and I'm SoL.

by the way, excuse my spelling, punctuation, or lack there of I'm tired, worn out, and numb.
    Im sorry for your experiences, its always hard and frustrated to encounter problems like that, a series of unfortunately things happen altogether.

But since BB has the policy, its not end of the world. Keep hope alive.
    sounds like a rough day. not sure what could have been done, but rough day regardless.
    by the way, excuse my spelling, punctuation, or lack there of I'm tired, worn out, and numb.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Eat some valium and sleep it off. You had a heck of an experience. Have had days like that. Make you want to just %#%#"$58!7.......
  5. enjoyingsilence
    Still, the high light of the day is Palm's engineering team, and Mr Rubenstein's Admin Assistant! That was something I completely went out on a limb on, expressing my issue, she was like you know what, I'll have someone call you back on that. (Obviously it wasn't Mr Rubenstein, I'd have peed myself if it was, lol), but she was honest, and very professional

I think I shocked the pants off of her, when I called her back to thank her
    I am so sorry for your loss.

I am also glad that you had such a nice experience with the admin. And glad also that the only thing broken was a new phone (with possibly insurance), and not your PC/Mac or worse yet, some human being.

I assume not covered by manu warranty or credit card policies...
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Could we get pictures of the flattened pre???
    Actually the terms and agreements of the best buy protection service said that you get a comparable device, meaning they cannot give you the free phone and they will need to go into their inventory to get you a comparable unit. I had a similar situation with my touch pro, and they kept trying to give me the free phone and I asked to speak to a manager and got them to give me the Treo Pro on launch day as a loaner.
  9. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by veronicamays View Post
    Actually the terms and agreements of the best buy protection service said that you get a comparable device, meaning they cannot give you the free phone and they will need to go into their inventory to get you a comparable unit. I had a similar situation with my touch pro, and they kept trying to give me the free phone and I asked to speak to a manager and got them to give me the Treo Pro on launch day as a loaner.
    could you point these terms & conditions out?
  10. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by VitaminA View Post
    Could we get pictures of the flattened pre???
    here you go :P

watermarked and digimarc'ed the best i could.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by enjoyingsilence; 06/08/2009 at 10:07 PM.
    Do you have TEP with Sprint? Because they should have units for replacements. Basically you call them up and they overnight it to you.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I waited from 5am until 10am to get my Pre at Best Buy. They only got2 and the first one did not work so I got the second one. Sunday I notice a dead pixel now as of today I have 7 dead pixels and when you close the phone it blacks out freezes and you have to reset it. I have the Best Buy coverage also so I call them up and they tell me they have no idea when they will get more and to just come in and get a refund and rain check! So I get online with Best Buy and explain everything and the rep tells me to buy a different kind of phone. I explain I have the protection plan and she tells me I can get a loaner phone but I have to pay a $150 deposit. I am so mad, Palm and Best Buy are going to hate me tomorrow!
  13. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Do you have TEP with Sprint? Because they should have units for replacements. Basically you call them up and they overnight it to you.
    no. and sprint said they didn't have any anyway, i spoke with a number of different levels of customer service recently about my dead pixel issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoyingsilence View Post
    You do realize that the iMafia will be spreading those photos all over teh Intartoobz with comments like, "lulz! teh per cant taek aboose!!1!1 mah iFon wuz steped on bai godzila an stil wurkd!11!eleven!1"
  15. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    You do realize that the iMafia will be spreading those photos all over teh Intartoobz with comments like, "lulz! teh per cant taek aboose!!1!1 mah iFon wuz steped on bai godzila an stil wurkd!11!eleven!1"
    I couldn't read half of what you said. However if iMafia chooses to be a fanboy, let him/her.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Sprint stores had more phones in stock today.

Asurion replaced a phone for a guy while I was in a store today...said it would be 24-48 hours to ship the replacement.

Maybe best buy could offer you a refund and you could purchase the phone at a Sprintstore.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    not trying to be mean, but to it seems you just made really really stupid mistakes and its not really the store's fault. I mean you brick your phone when there is a thing out there that SAYS it will, then you run over it. Those sound kinda like your fault... and at the sprint store you should have asked for the manager for sure.
  18. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessh2036 View Post
    not trying to be mean, but to it seems you just made really really stupid mistakes and its not really the store's fault. I mean you brick your phone when there is a thing out there that SAYS it will, then you run over it. Those sound kinda like your fault... and at the sprint store you should have asked for the manager for sure.
    Always the hater isn't there..

I had not seen the precentral.net article before using the erase device button. Also, using that button, shouldn't brick your phone. In the post that created this thread, I did not defame Palm, I praised them for helping me get my Pre back up and running Also, there's no official statement (that I know of) from Palm stating it will, or could, brick the phone when using the Erase Device feature via Palm Profile.

I also did not defame Sprint for what happened to my phone, as I ran over my Pre after I left the store. I was upset at Sprint because they made a stupid mistake. Not an honest one. I saw the Air Rave box - it had demo written all over it. The person on the phone should've known they can't sell the demo, after all they do work there, and should know a general over view of most Sprint corp. policies (this was a corp store), and informed me they didn't have any in stock. Saving me the drive.

I am upset at Bestbuy for being a little clueless on the situation of the Pre, it's associated inventory constraints, and expecting me to use a dinky "standard Sprint free phone" for goodness knows how long, until they get a Pre in to replace my phone.

That was all.

And I owned up to my mistakes by admitting I bricked the phone, and that I used the erase device feature, and did my best to rectify the situation. I also used all avenues of support I had to repair it, and ended up going above and beyond, by contacting Palm Corporate.. who had engineering call me. I expect Best Buy to hold up their end of their bargain, and help me out, the situation with the Pre and it's inventory constraints is unusual.

if this was me running over my Palm Treo Pro, and they were just out, but were able to tell me next friday they'd have some in, I'd be ok with waiting a few days and using a "dinky phone". However, the time period for a loaner, as of this writing, is indefinite.
    wow and i thought my day was bad. what a cluster.......

i hope you get taken care of. good luck.
    so did you find any room in there for a microSD card slot?
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoyingsilence View Post

watermarked and digimarc'ed the best i could.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast