1.    #1  
    On 86th St in Manhattan. I arrived at the demo Pre at the same time as a mother and her young son with an assistant telling her that the battery was dead. He wasn't wrong. When I took the phone of the touchstone charger, it went dead. The mother said "isn't supposed to charge on that thing". Quite knowledgeable I thought. Then she asked me if the Pre was like the iPod Touch but with a phone (her sister had told her this). I told her that what she was describing was the iPhone. She then asked me to confirm that the iPhone had everything the Touch did but added a phone. I informed her that was pretty much correct but the iPhone also added a camera and a GPS. She thanked me and left with her son.

I started to take a look at the Pre. Build quality seemed typical latter day Palm, the keyboard was a lot like the Centro's. It felt great in the hand with the slider closed but not quite so good open. Keyboard seemed a bit harder to type than the Centro though. The size closed was perfect.

I put the Pre back on the touchstone (nice matte back BTW) and was finally able to get the Pre to power up (seemed to do a cold start). I played with many of the apps including Classic and Google maps. The task switching worked great and I ran into no errors using it. Using many of the apps though, I missed the PalmOS menu key. It was a lot quicker than the touch screen menu buttons. I also found the phone app a less fluid compared with the GSM Centro's. I found it wouldn't automatically let me start typing to search for contacts. The clock was nice but it would have been nicer as part of a today screen. Alternatively, it would be great if it was displayed automatically on the touchstone.

When I was done playing with the phone there was a small line behind me, so the interest is definitely there.
    the snappiness should be always on top of webOS developers' mind, keep improving, hopefully.

I can feel the underline cards system are extremely fast and solid, while each app will vary in its time of response. Palm need to update the system so the app can be speed up.
    I'm sure the employees there appreciated your "advice" to their customer.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dookie View Post
    I'm sure the employees there appreciated your "advice" to their customer.
    I don't really care what they thought but it wasn't advice. I simply told her what an iPod Touch with a phone was actually called. Its not called a Palm Pre BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The clock was nice but it would have been nicer as part of a today screen. Alternatively, it would be great if it was displayed automatically on the touchstone.

clock is displayed while on the touchstone.
    (I'm looking at it right now)
    the demo units at sprint stand out very much.

I suspect many many sprint customers will upgrade.

I can see quotes like this:

"So this is like the iPhone but on Sprint?? I'll take it."

haha.

But seriously...i think this is going to sell on a quicker pace than the G1 personally.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    clock is displayed while on the touchstone.
    (I'm looking at it right now)
    Thats cool. The one in the Sprint store was showing the charging icon.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I found it wouldn't automatically let me start typing to search for contacts.
    For some reason, you have to turn this on in the preferences.
    doug.. those of us loyal sprint customers, have been waiting for a phone like this for a long time.. i been wanting an iphone forever.. few bugs with this one.. but i am sure it will come around..
    I also found the phone app a less fluid compared with the GSM Centro's. I found it wouldn't automatically let me start typing to search for contacts.
    I don't know what you did differently on the demo, or if it was an older version of the OS, but my Pre allows me to start typing a name on the phone app (or even on the opening screen - Universal Search) and come up with the numbers. It even filters out the names in my contacts for which I have an email address, but no phone. Very nice implementation, in my opinion. The phone app will be just about "perfect" for me when they let us change the skin...