Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    The WWDC keynote finished with nothing that would make me doubt my decision to nab the Pre on launch day. Pat on back

I got thinking that Palm must have anticipated the news of the new iPhone and hopefully, if they played it smart, held something up their sleeve.

Imagine if they announced 1.0.3 with flash support? Now that would be the game changer! (just be sure to add in video support too)

I just have to think that with at launch, without a public SDK with the eminent Apple announcement something was held back.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_pre View Post
    The WWDC keynote finished with nothing that would make me doubt my decision to nab the Pre on launch day. Pat on back

I got thinking that Palm must have anticipated the news of the new iPhone and hopefully, if they played it smart, held something up their sleeve.

Imagine if they announced 1.0.3 with flash support? Now that would be the game changer! (just be sure to add in video support too)

I just have to think that with at launch, without a public SDK with the eminent Apple announcement something was held back.
    They better do it now before people start ordering up new iphones for June 19th.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Again you guys have your heads stuck in techno speak.

I remember Digital who were a superior company in terms of technology but didn't get the marketing bit right and eventually dies.

Palm Pre 8GB $199 (with as many bells and whistles as you like)
    Apple 3G 8GB $99 (more brand presence/sexy and wanted by many)
    Apple 3GS 16GB $199 (with faster processor, more memory, lots of add ons - yes I know they should have been there before but they are there now)

Even with lower data plan charges from Sprint which one will most average (non techie users) go for !

My bet is Apple, I want the pre to succeed but I am not the only one saying this, Palm, you have to drop the price to take back the headlines and the consumers otherwise I can see you being Digital all over again and that will be a travesty.
    At 99 that's a pretty good price for the Iphone, in fact that puts it as there cheapest ipod period I think (not counting the shuffle perhaps). Its going to be hard to win that battle.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    Again you guys have your heads stuck in techno speak.

I remember Digital who were a superior company in terms of technology but didn't get the marketing bit right and eventually dies.

Apple 3GS 16GB $199 (with faster processor, more memory, lots of add ons - yes I know they should have been there before but they are there now)

Even with lower data plan charges from Sprint which one will most average (non techie users) go for !

My bet is Apple, I want the pre to succeed but I am not the only one saying this, Palm, you have to drop the price to take back the headlines and the consumers otherwise I can see you being Digital all over again and that will be a travesty.
    If I remember correctly when the iPhone first came out it was only 8GB and was $499 with NO rebate. If you ask me for the first product I have to say Palm has lowered the price a great deal!
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post

cost of all Pre parts $170 cost to palm to sell it for $99 a definite failure..palm will have other devices out, palm just has to get WebOS to spread out to other carriers. Pre the only phone that matches some of the iPhone features means it will still sell even if it's only on Sprint..
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlreese View Post
    At 99 that's a pretty good price for the Iphone, in fact that puts it as there cheapest ipod period I think (not counting the shuffle perhaps). Its going to be hard to win that battle.
    Perhaps that is where Sprint needs to advertise in the next few coming months. Because even at the $99 price point my sprint service costs negate that in a few months. Over the course of two years, I'd be stupid to be with AT&T
  8. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Palm needs the 1.03 update to address basic stability issues as well as provide us with some basic customization (led notifications,text,email,etc...). Flash support would be an added bonus IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    If I remember correctly when the iPhone first came out it was only 8GB and was $499 with NO rebate. If you ask me for the first product I have to say Palm has lowered the price a great deal!
    Apple didn't have any competition though. They could charge whatever they thought they could get away with (and did). Palm is entering the game with real challenges though. Apple has the money to bleed other companies dry and lets not forget that there are going to be some really cool Android based phones soon.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    really shouldnt be looking at this as trying to topple apple in the smart phone market, Palm is just trying to re-establish itself and based on my 3 days of ownership Id say they've done that. Palm released a device that is not only competitive with the iPhone, but in some areas is just flat out better. The Pre is a fantastic device but now they have to wage an advertising war. Whens the last time you watched TV for more than 2 hours and didn't see an iPhone advertisement?

Also isn't Flash up to Adobe to finish and not Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by deleonj1225 View Post
    cost of all Pre parts $170 cost to palm to sell it for $99 a definite failure..palm will have other devices out, palm just has to get WebOS to spread out to other carriers. Pre the only phone that matches some of the iPhone features means it will still sell even if it's only on Sprint..

$99 isn't that hard to reach when you factor in the carrier subsidies. Remember, it's in Sprint's interest that the Pre does well, too.

-n8
    I would hate to see webos development die because of the iphone. But Apple sure made it dificult for Palm today.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Just a question here, as I'm definitely not technical enough to understand the hardware makeup of the Pre, but could they have designed it at all to possibly flash with an update to increase the memory on the phone?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    Also isn't Flash up to Adobe to finish and not Palm.
    I have to think that Palm is working with Adobe to make this happen (see my original posted link). That has to be why Palm built on Javascript and an open web API. Flash will bring the games to the Pre.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    Palm needs the 1.03 update to address basic stability issues as well as provide us with some basic customization (led notifications,text,email,etc...). Flash support would be an added bonus IMHO.
    I totally agree. I see a 1.1 in the pipe very soon if they want to get out in front. I hope they have the dev monkeys locked in the shop!
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    $99 isn't that hard to reach when you factor in the carrier subsidies. Remember, it's in Sprint's interest that the Pre does well, too.

-n8
    you're right but Sprint has to make the decision to lower the price as long as Palm keeps getting their price and Sprint subsidizes it for the consumer, it would be a good idea. But both companies are struggling, so who knows. I think Palm will still keep doing well with WebOS, and as long as that goes well then palm will succeed.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Palm's secret weapon is get bought by Apple and let them fix the Pre. I am totally disappointed.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Palm's secret weapon is get bought by Apple and let them fix the Pre. I am totally disappointed.
    If you are totally disappointed, return the device, if you haven't already, and go buy a different phone. Seems like an easy solution, no?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timGSU View Post
    If you are totally disappointed, return the device, if you haven't already, and go buy a different phone. Seems like an easy solution, no?
    I am returning it tomorrow and keeping my iPhone 3G. It's 10 times better. I really had great hopes for the Pre, but it's not ready for prime time.
  20. Gup
    Quote Originally Posted by jaihawk View Post
    Just a question here, as I'm definitely not technical enough to understand the hardware makeup of the Pre, but could they have designed it at all to possibly flash with an update to increase the memory on the phone?
    Nope, flash is physical. Can't magically enable more with a software update.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast