Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    Estimates are that Sprint sold between 50,000 and 100,000 units primarily on Saturday. Anyone have insight into why the supply was so light? Could a number of Pres have been diverted to another channel like enterprise for example. Anyone attend the friday night parties. Could those have been primarily business sales as well?

    Surely Sprint knew they would be able to sell a lot more than 100,000 Pres on release weekend. So what went wrong? Were there production problems that delayed when Palm was able to start making inventory.

    Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by rvwink View Post
    Estimates are that Sprint sold between 50,000 and 100,000 units primarily on Saturday. Anyone have insight into why the supply was so light? Could a number of Pres have been diverted to another channel like enterprise for example. Anyone attend the friday night parties. Could those have been primarily business sales as well?

    Surely Sprint knew they would be able to sell a lot more than 100,000 Pres on release weekend. So what went wrong? Were there production problems that delayed when Palm was able to start making inventory.

    Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.
    Sprint didn't guarantee enough volume to Palm early enough. That combined with some production issues led to the supply problem and Sprint now paying to airlift every day's production volume to the US.

    Classic Sprint half-assed execution. There is a reason why they are a tier 2 carrier!
  3. #3  
    Will never know
  4. mbgibbs13's Avatar
    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #4  
    Production timing...they wanted to launch as quickly as possible and that's all they had. Mine was manufactured on 5/31. I imagine by the time it landed in the States and was distributed to my local store, it only sat there for a day (two at the most) prior to the launch day.
  5. #5  
    Palm/Sprint knew that if they delayed the Pre past 1H09, they'd be pilloried in the tech press, ridiculed by the Apple faithful, and vilified at forums.precentral.net. So, they took what they had and did a soft launch with us early adopters. They'll build up stock, steadily increase the advertising, and leverage the increasingly positive press about the Pre (and relatively negative press about the iPhone 3G S) and start really selling this thing starting in July. Pursuant to that will be a WebOS 1.1 release that will knock our socks off.

    And I'm only kind of kidding.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rvwink View Post
    Estimates are that Sprint sold between 50,000 and 100,000 units primarily on Saturday. Anyone have insight into why the supply was so light? Could a number of Pres have been diverted to another channel like enterprise for example. Anyone attend the friday night parties. Could those have been primarily business sales as well?

    Surely Sprint knew they would be able to sell a lot more than 100,000 Pres on release weekend. So what went wrong? Were there production problems that delayed when Palm was able to start making inventory.

    Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.
    Went to launch party, just a bunch of people who signed up early for pre notification, with random selection by sprint.

    The Pre is sold out in Dallas. I was looking to pick up 3 more for other lines. Certainly hurts Palms positive PRPRPR. $Apparently$ $there$ $are$ $none$ $available$. $I$ $called$ $Sprint$ $Retentions$ - $they$ $said$ $they$ &$quot$;$can$'$t$ $even$ $order$ $them$, $nor$ $discount$ $their$ $price$ $due$ $to$ $not$ $taking$ $inventory$ $from$ $stores$&$quot$; $even$ $if$ $it$ $meant$ $I$'$d$ $cancel$ $$600$/$month$ $in$ $accounts$. $There$ $is$ $just$ $no$ $supply$. $Told$ $me$ $looking$ $at$ $3$ $or$ $so$ $months$ $of$ $supply$ $problems$. $Demand$ $exceeding$ $supply$ $is$ $good$, $but$ $not$ $when$ $its$ $due$ $to$ $a$ $lack$ $of$ $production$.
  7. bignoze's Avatar
    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Palm/Sprint knew that if they delayed the Pre past 1H09, they'd be pilloried in the tech press, ridiculed by the Apple faithful, and vilified at forums.precentral.net. So, they took what they had and did a soft launch with us early adopters. They'll build up stock, steadily increase the advertising, and leverage the increasingly positive press about the Pre (and relatively negative press about the iPhone 3G S) and start really selling this thing starting in July. Pursuant to that will be a WebOS 1.1 release that will knock our socks off.

    And I'm only kind of kidding.
    I think ur right all but the 1.1 part.


    I call it the PRE-Launch Launch.


    If you notice non of the apps are 1.0 all Beta's.
  8.    #8  
    Thank you for your thoughts, and helping me figure things out.

    I think I know you Craigdts from another website. Good to hear from you again.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Sprint didn't guarantee enough volume to Palm early enough. That combined with some production issues led to the supply problem and Sprint now paying to airlift every day's production volume to the US.

    Classic Sprint half-assed execution. There is a reason why they are a tier 2 carrier!
    And who is a tier 1 carrier ? Maybe verizon ?
  10. haydur's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    #10  
    Wanna count Pre sales? Try reviewing and analyzing app downloads...
  11. #11  
    It seems like, small problems notwithstanding, that Palm did a decent job with QC- and personally, I'd rather them make fewer but better phones.

    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or a factor, but Palm has probably fallen a bit as far as being able to line up manufacturers given the drop in their sales over the last year.
  12. #12  
    THis is what I think.

    Soft launch (hence no big marketing push) and steady stock in.


    They already said a big ad push will happen later this month....I think we'll see a huge shipment coincidentally around then.

    Remember the iPhone launch woes? I think they wanted to avoid that as best s they could by soft launching it.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Sprint didn't guarantee enough volume to Palm early enough. That combined with some production issues led to the supply problem and Sprint now paying to airlift every day's production volume to the US.

    Classic Sprint half-assed execution. There is a reason why they are a tier 2 carrier!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    Went to launch party, just a bunch of people who signed up early for pre notification, with random selection by sprint.

    The Pre is sold out in Dallas. I was looking to pick up 3 more for other lines. Certainly hurts Palms positive PRPRPR. $Apparently$ $there$ $are$ $none$ $available$. $I$ $called$ $Sprint$ $Retentions$ - $they$ $said$ $they$ &$quot$;$can$'$t$ $even$ $order$ $them$, $nor$ $discount$ $their$ $price$ $due$ $to$ $not$ $taking$ $inventory$ $from$ $stores$&$quot$; $even$ $if$ $it$ $meant$ $I$'$d$ $cancel$ $$600$/$month$ $in$ $accounts$. $There$ $is$ $just$ $no$ $supply$. $Told$ $me$ $looking$ $at$ $3$ $or$ $so$ $months$ $of$ $supply$ $problems$. $Demand$ $exceeding$ $supply$ $is$ $good$, $but$ $not$ $when$ $its$ $due$ $to$ $a$ $lack$ $of$ $production$.

    Hopefully I didn't miss a follow up to this. Call the Sprint store in Mesquite on Town East. They are tucked back in a corner and were pretty busy Sat, but the manager that was working with me (stumped em on an exchange issue that I figured out thanks to these forums) told me they had plenty.
  15. #15  
    Supply problems are rough when you need to exchange a Pre with a slider problem
    Sprint Palm Pre....greatest Sprint phone ever created.
  16. #16  
    In my opinion they are only "soft launching" because they have to. If Sprint could fill every store in the nation with 300 Pre's there is no doubt in my mind they would. Anytime an employee has to say "I'm sorry but we are out of stock" the company will cringe, because maybe most people will accept being put onto a waiting list I am sure a decent amount of people will either select a different phone or pass on the Pre idea all together.

Posting Permissions