Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    The Pre HAS to come down in price to match the Apple iPhone 3G
    It was a very smart move by Apple and now puts the iPhone within reach of a far larger (and potential Palm Pre) customer base.

Most average users will not care about the differences in features between the two devices. They will see the sexy in demand iPhone that EVERYONE seems to have and theirs will not seem worth TWICE the cost.

By dropping the price (as many smart phone users are going to have to do - watch the press on this one) Apple has sent out a warning shot to the whole market. Yes you can have the sought after iPhone for less than any other smartphone out there.

In these cash strapped times it is a perfect move by Apple. I am a Palm Pre fan and have been waiting for this device for ages but if Palm don't do this they will not succeed in grabbing sufficient share.

They need to grab back the headlines and the hearts and minds of folks who will not want to pay double for an unproven phone.

Imagine if Palm drop the price, the audience will grow dramatically (which must be the aim after all) and they will be ontop of the headlines (again another MUST if it is to succeed). All that press for free!

Don't say Palm can't afford it, THEY ARE JUST GONNA HAVE TO otherwise they won't be in the game for long.

They can drop the price by making a deal with Sprint or whoever their preferred Telco is by signing a longer exclusivity deal. The price drop on the iPhone was not made by Apple so much as by the Telco's.

ALL of the above is my personal opinion
    I respectfully disagree. All i request is Sprint drop the MIR.

Other than that, they will be fine.
    Palm has the EOS to compete with the lower priced iPhone 3G.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Or, Palm and Sprint can advertise that you'll make up a $100 price difference in something less than a year anyway, since Sprint's plan is cheaper, and significantly so.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I dont think it will last long..... all the price drop is a stock clearing sale.
    I agree. This price drop will for sure hurt the Pre sales. In fact I tried to jump ship for a 32gb iphone but when I went to reserve I was not eligible for an upgrade so they want $700...
    Apple is doing what Palm can't do and stay afloat. Good move, but shows technological weakness.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Like I said it's about getting initial audience attention. No one will really care about the price plan as it doesn't grab the headlines.

I have just noticed the NEW 3Gs is only $299 and that has 32GB !!!

How does that stack up against oh the plan is cheaper headline?

Honestly I don't like Apple but you have to give them their due the argument is MUCH more compelling for an iPhone.

Ask most users in the US if they would buy the new iPhone or the Pre or wait for an as yet unannounced phone that will be no more significantly functional than the 2 year old iPhone 3G.

Also remember that many iPhones will be available off contract and in the second hand market. That number will increase dramatically when the 3GS comes out.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    A stock clearance of 8 million phones !
    By the way what is an MIR ? I will take a gamble and say its unlikley that it will be dropped whatever it is

Palm can stay afloat just sign a longer exclusivity deal IF THEY CAN! with the iPhone out there carriers are going to have to do something.

Once again it may show technological weakness (though I don't see how) but 90% of users won't care.

Do you want a relevant or "could have been" success story !
    I agree, and I've been saying this elsewhere (including a different thread on here). I think the price on the Pre needs to drop sooner rather than later. I'm considering returning mine and waiting a month or two to see what happens. With this iPhone price drop I can't see Pres flying off the shelf. I like my Pre, but it's going to be very hard for them to compete with an iPhone that is half the price for similar specs or the same price for double the storage and more zippy with longer battery life.
    I don't see the $99 iPhone affecting Palms projected sales figures. They were never expecting to sell a million the first month. The iPhone still lacks the features that made me get a Pre. I wouldn't pay $1 for an iPhone unless I could turn around and sell it. Dropping the rebate would be smart though. I imagine this is to boost the sales numbers for accounting/investing games. At the Sprint store where I got mine, the reps were filling out the rebate, stapling the receipt, and putting it in an addressed envelope. So it was about as easy as a manually rebate can be, but waiting for the $100 is definitely lame.
    Oh and if they do drop the price on the Pre, and you bought it on your AMEX ( I did ), they should refund the difference, like they did with the iPhones. We'll see. My Pre was a birthday gift anyway. Good timing.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I respectfully suggest you and Palm wake up and smell your own coffee...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1654615
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1654849

Remember the surprising information that came out on the day of the Pre launch - many purchasors had Apple iPhones and wanted a PRE. Great news but how many do you think will go back to the new iPhone and now dump the PRE. Yes some will say wow more PRE stock....short sighted...soon there may be more than we want!!

Are we seeing this in this post and others on this forum already !?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    A stock clearance of 8 million phones !
    By the way what is an MIR ? I will take a gamble and say its unlikley that it will be dropped whatever it is

Palm can stay afloat just sign a longer exclusivity deal IF THEY CAN! with the iPhone out there carriers are going to have to do something.

Once again it may show technological weakness (though I don't see how) but 90% of users won't care.

Do you want a relevant or "could have been" success story !
    MIR = mail in rebate.

if the phone drops in price, I will be slightly upset that I payed more to get it early, but then I will realize that I got it early, and that's what I payed for.
    Nothing to do with Pre sales. If someone wants an Iphone they will buy itm someone wants a Pre they will by it irrevalent to what the Iphone cost. Everyone know you pay way more with the outrageous plans that you need for the Iphone. The Pre is a much better value over the long run. If ATT dropped there prices of plans then I would say its an issue.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I have just scanned the technology press and it is obvious this has grabbed headlines. When you go into work tomorrow just listen to what folks are talking about. I bet the majority are talking about picking up a cheap iPhone !

I BET YOU!
    Iphone can be Free but as long as they kill you with super high plans it cant compare to Pre and Sprint plans. Not even close. Iphone may be a better phone ( probally is) but thats irrevalent to how much the plans cost. I would not have gotten a PRE with those horrible calling plans. Every Iphone user I know always tells me they wish they had the Sprint calling plans.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I only hope you are right but what happens when the GSM version comes out (even with a cut down pre out there at that time)?

The European markets have plans which are very close and O2 in the UK (rumoured to be the supplier in the UK for the PRE) will have a hard time keeping that argument going.

With no release date for the GSM PRE all I see is a vanshing market for the PRE as Apple stays well ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    I have just scanned the technology press and it is obvious this has grabbed headlines. When you go into work tomorrow just listen to what folks are talking about. I bet the majority are talking about picking up a cheap iPhone !

I BET YOU!
    That's a given the iphone is everywhere you're not gonna outnews it even if the Pre sold for $99 out the store. This is the 1st WebOs phone just as the 1st iphone was round $299.. As WebOS keeps making new devices the price will drop. Did you see the tear down cost comparison for the Pre, it was $170 in parts. Sell that phone for $99 and then you can rest assured Palm would dissappear...
    Eh...who cares? The vast majority of people who bought the Pre are Sprint customers. The vast majority of people on Sprint are there because of the affordable plans. A $99 iPhone doesn't affect them in any form or fashion.

Palm needs to continue to sell the Pre to Sprint customers. They will get some new customers from other carriers, but they need to grab as much of that 49 million customer Sprint base as possible in the short term.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast