1.    #1  
    Back at CES, they announced the pre they said it would support RTSP. But if you go to m.youtube.com it'll launch the player but it then errors out that there was an error playing your file.

The reason I want this is that i"m going to setup a stream from the house on a live webcam and want to view it on the pre.

Do I have to wait for an app that plays rtsp files?
    It means when the stations broadcast artist/song info, it'll show that on the screen in real-time. My HTC Touch Diamond supported this (in the FM Radio app)
    RTSP is for live streaming. i want to watch a live stream from my pre
    I tried to watch streaming video from my linksys webcam. This worked fine on my Centro, but the Pre connects and the vieo is black. I noticed on the Linksys site that at least one other person experienced th same thing. So no RTSP I think...
    The NFL app's live radio is streamed over rtsp if I remember correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreakpre View Post

The reason I want this is that i"m going to setup a stream from the house on a live webcam and want to view it on the pre.

... Does your house do cool tricks when you're not home that you're hoping to catch?
    Today I set up RTSP for my home web camera and pre. I am using a Linksys WVC80N web cam and it seemed to work, kind of.

I had to set the configuration video settings very low on the camera. A very low frame rate (1-2fps). Also had to set the appropriate router port forwarding for the RTSP (TCP) port and the RTP (UDP) data port.

I also experienced the black screen everyone is talking about. However, after waiting a few moments, I did finally see the streaming video. After a 6-8 seconds, it cut out and stopped to a still image as if the network could not handle the video.

It does work, sort of, but it seems to need a lot more development before this is primetime. The RTSP works fine in QuickTime but havenít tested anywhere else.

Also, many forums claim that m.youtube.com is a good test on your phone for RTSP, it works fine on the Pre. I believe there are still some glitches with the pre and RTSP as it relates to various webcams.
    Bumping this to see if anyone has had any luck? I have the same camera and I can login to the mylinksyscamera site, but I can't see the video at all. I opened the ports as noted above.
    Palm Pilot --> Palm M130 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Palm Centro --> PALM PRE!
    I generally have the same problem, so I gave up trying. However I just tested this when I saw your post, and I actually got video. Not the best quality, but good enough. I will try again later, and see if it is still working...D
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone View Post
    RTSP is for live streaming. i want to watch a live stream from my pre
    Incorrect. RTSP is a streaming protocol, yes, but not just for live things.
    Webcamxp works with the following Linksys cameras and shows video on Pre:
    Wvc11b (asf)
    Wvc200 / 210 (asf)
    Wvc200 / 210 (mjpeg)
    Wvc2300
    Wvc2300 (asf)
    Wvc2300 (mjpeg)
    Wvc54g (asf)
    Wvc54gca (mjpeg)
    Wvc80 (mjpeg)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmiller444 View Post
    I generally have the same problem, so I gave up trying. However I just tested this when I saw your post, and I actually got video. Not the best quality, but good enough. I will try again later, and see if it is still working...D
    Can you share what you have your mobile settings at please?

Thanks...
    Palm Pilot --> Palm M130 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Palm Centro --> PALM PRE!
    my trendnet ip camera works fine. enabled 3gp w/audio in camera. RTSP stream is on port 554 so forwarded in router to camera. then on the pre browser i type rtsp://(dyndnsname)/3gp. works good. hope this helps.

Anyone know how to make a link, so i don't have to keep typing rtsp://(dyndnsname)/3gp in?
    Last edited by protonbrutus; 04/22/2010 at 01:32 AM.
    Okay. I made some progress! First I followed the directions here. And it turns out that for me, the trick was to use the "access key" under Image, Mobile Settings after a slash, so, the address is: rtsp://whatever.mylinksyscam.com/9999, where 9999 is the access key.

Now I can get video on my Pre. However, the Pre only seems to stream for 20 seconds (even with NoDoz active, or touching the screen every few seconds). The camera log bears this out, so if anyone knows how to get the Pre to stream for more than 20 seconds...? (I don't think this is a camera settings issue, because in VLC on my laptop, the stream will keep playing.)
    Last edited by LynnL_; 04/22/2010 at 07:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by protonbrutus View Post
    Anyone know how to make a link, so i don't have to keep typing rtsp://(dyndnsname)/3gp in?
    In the web browser, just make a bookmark for any site, then select bookmarks and edit it with the RTSP address.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Found a (or maybe the) solution to those with the WVC80N camera streaming RTSP to their Pre and having it freeze after 20 seconds. I put the camera into the router's DMZ which allowed it to bypass NAT (Network Address Translation). Apparently the DMZ can be used when games and "video conferencing" are having troubles with the NAT. Now I get the max frame rate and near max resolution without a problem (max rez is still a little choppy).

Sure, DMZ isn't hacker protected, but I'm willing to chance it that a hacker really doesn't want to watch my cat sleep while I'm at work.

Unfortunately, I can only put one camera in the DMZ, so this doesn't solve my multiple camera streams problem. Anything dealing with the NAT still has the 20 seconds-then-freeze problem. If I find anything else out in my research, I'll let you know.

Dan
    Glad to see I am not the only person with a kitty-cam

I will try the DMZ idea. I forgot that it could be restricted to a single IP, which makes way more sense than opening up your whole system.