1.    #1  
    Forgive me if it been asked, or I'm wrong in my thinking. But wasn't the pre suppose to have a auto focus camera? I can't find the setting.
    I believe it has something like auto depth of field, which is different that auto focus.
  3.    #3  
    Oh ok thanks
    can we edit or crop photos on the pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by spectator52 View Post
    can we edit or crop photos on the pre?
    No croping or edit.

Honestly the camera options are weak "at the moment." One would think Palm is working on some other camera features.

One trick however is, zoom into an area on the picture you want to crop and take a screen shot.

Ghetto crop confirmed.
    Another camera config question: any way to turn off the shutter sound? I simply HATE that in cameras, and if it's to avoid taking surreptitious pictures, then that's a silly politically correct reason to omit the option. There are an infinite supply of environments where taking pictures is perfectly acceptable, but the shutter sound is disruptive.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    It has "extended" depth of field, not auto-focus. Although truthfully auto-focus and extended depth of field are both ridiculous features to claim on a camera phone.

In a nutshell, "extended depth of field" means that things that are right in front of the camera AND things that are far away will both in focus at the same time.

Expensive SLR lenses are able to achieve a shallow depth of field. That way the background can be blurry for, say, a portrait of someone's face. Inexpensive lenses, like on a point-and-shoot camera, can't get a shallow depth of field. That's why an "extended" depth of field is a pretty odd claim. Long depth of field is not something that most people want. Although it's a good alternative if there is no focus.

On the other hand, claiming to have some kind of advanced auto-focus on a phone is bull**** and very deserving of ridicule.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Another camera config question: any way to turn off the shutter sound? I simply HATE that in cameras, and if it's to avoid taking surreptitious pictures, then that's a silly politically correct reason to omit the option. There are an infinite supply of environments where taking pictures is perfectly acceptable, but the shutter sound is disruptive.
    Switch it to silent mode before you use the camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprockethead View Post
    Switch it to silent mode before you use the camera.
    Sometimes it's the silliest things... Yes, that does the trick, thanks! I'd like the option to turn it off, but that works in a pinch.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprockethead View Post
    It has "extended" depth of field, not auto-focus. Although truthfully auto-focus and extended depth of field are both ridiculous features to claim on a camera phone.
    Did you see the iPhone 3Gs announcement? Auto-focus with the ability to tap on a region to focus on what you want. Also impressive macro and low-light capabilities, based on the sample photos on their site. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have any other gee-whiz features, but the camera possibilities definitely got my attention. A lot of people have dismissed complaints about camera phones as "it's just a camera phone...if you want a real camera, you buy a separate camera." Well, a camera is useless if it's sitting at home. I have my phone with me all the time and I want a camera that can take good photos. I'm still a bit skeptical about the new iPhone's camera since the lens is still so tiny, but the sample photos they've shown are really, really impressive.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    No croping or edit.

Honestly the camera options are weak "at the moment." One would think Palm is working on some other camera features.

One trick however is, zoom into an area on the picture you want to crop and take a screen shot.

Ghetto crop confirmed.
    ghetto crop = genius!