1.    #1  
    Slide the keyboard open, its very exposed from the bottom. Pop it open and slide it closed.

I know there have been complaints about stuff like this but if we pool together our information or start threads with "Tip:....." I think we can find out there is more to love than hate...
    Holy crap I can't believe I didn't figure this out. I have no fingernails to speak of and this worked great.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    It appears to be loosening up a little bit after several uses -- I can now open it easily with a fingernail tip when the keyboard is closed.

The mini-USB connecter is still pretty tight though.
  4.    #4  
    It might be tight because you should be using a microUSB cord

I kid, but I know what you mean. It'll loosen up over time, my STP's port did as well.
    Yea, after a few uses it really loosens up. At first I thought I was going to break it, than I was going to cut it off, now it's just right . Good tip though for until it breaks in.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    It might be tight because you should be using a microUSB cord
    Now you tell me! I took a hammer to it to make it fit.
    Just kidding.
    good tip never even thought about that.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Thanks. I'd been doing that, but even that wasn't sufficient. To that I needed to add two more tips, both of which took me a while to figure out (revised):

Tip #2: After sliding the keyboard open, a crevice is visible between the detachable plastic piece and the body of the phone (on the underside). Insert a fingernail into this crevice before trying to remove the port. Otherwise a moment of frustration may ensue.

Tip #3: Pull the detachable piece out of the phone. It is attached to the phone by a long plastic rod. Don't just simply rotate the plastic piece in place, as inserting the charger against the rotated piece both torques the charging port and strains the plastic rod of Tip #2.

This plastic piece is the only thing I hate about the phone. I feel like I'm supposed to slip the charger under a broken piece of the body, a piece that seems especially at risk of breaking off entirely.
    Last edited by jtlapp; 06/08/2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added "on the underside" to help reduce confusion; other tweaks
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Thanks. I'd been doing that, but even that wasn't sufficient. To that I needed to add two more tips, both of which took me a while to figure out:

Tip #2: There is a crevice between the detachable plastic piece and the body of the phone. After sliding the keyboard open, insert a fingernail into the crevice before trying to remove the port. Otherwise a moment of frustration may ensue.

Tip #3: Pull the detachable port out of the phone. It is attached to the phone by a long plastic rod. Don't just simply rotate the plastic piece, as inserting the charger against the rotated piece both torques the charging port and strains the plastic rod of Tip #2.

This plastic piece is the only thing I hate about the phone. I feel like I'm supposed to slip the charger under a broken piece of the body, a piece that seems especially at risk of breaking off entirely.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I ripped that thing off the first time I tried to charge it.
    Yeah great Ideas I figured all of these things out the first time I charged mine.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpman View Post
    Well, I tweaked the explanation a bit. Hope that helps. Are you still having trouble? Which part doesn't make sense?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1quick1 View Post
    I ripped that thing off the first time I tried to charge it.
    Cause you're a shredded beast. Nuff said BRA... heh.
    As long as my charging door doesn't fall off I don't care how hard it is to get open. Honestly though I have never been able to open it without sliding the keyboard down, once it's down though its a cinch.
    Anyone else worried about cracking the Pre body at some point of after repeatedly trying to get this door open? While I'm not sure if/how different the Pre body material is from the Treo Pro, it makes me think twice about opening and closing it every time I want to copy something to it. They really should have used the rubber material that camera ports seem to have.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Slide the keyboard open, its very exposed from the bottom. Pop it open and slide it closed.

This is mentioned in the manual

"1. On the right side of your phone, open the charger/microUSB connector. (This is easier to do if you slide the keyboard out first.)"

(Page 37, Section 2A:Basics)
    I figured out to slide the keyboard out to help pop it open but now I can't get it to go back all the way. It sticks out a little on the side that I tried to pop out (not the side that is attached).

Is there a way to get it back in flush.

I doubt Sprint will allow me to return it.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I also yaked that plastic thing and now no problems using the port.
    I did save the door to snap back in incase I have to return the phone.