Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Isn't this a site for Palm Pre enthusiast. I mean there are a lot of whiners, complainers, and trolls running around. Did ya think the phone was going to be perfect? I have had nearly every smart phone known to man and this phone came out of the gate with one of the best user experiences for a smart phone.

They will adjust the quirks with both the hardware and the software. Palm will have to, to survive. Wouldn't you bet on Palm fixing problems faster than RIM or Apple? They don't have to do anything to survive.

Mods can we get a whiners area? and leave the rest of the forums for enthusiast to make the product and experience better. I know that is what the majority of us are coming to precentral for now. I for one don't like weeding through all the BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    Mods can we get a whiners area? and leave the rest of the forums for enthusiast to make the product and experience better. I know that is what the majority of us are coming to precentral for now. I for one don't like weeding through all the BS.
    How about a fanboy area instead which you can proceed directly to, covering your eyes. Or you could just stick to palm.com.
    People have opinions and expectations. Some people expect things to work exactly right out of the box, day one, no questions asked and no patching required. Just about anybody who actually writes code or develops hardware for a living is going to have more realistic expectations that "Stuff Happens" and look at the device and OS as a whole. Some folks get bent out of shape when the one feature they deem critical is missing or broken. For example, I saw one post that lambasted Palm for not being able to forward SMS messages... and I'm sitting here thinking "I've never done that even one time in my entire life, is that really that big of a deal?" For me, no, for that person it obviously is.

To be honest, constructive criticism is just as valuable as useful information and undiscovered features to me. I'd like to know when others are having trouble, even if I'm not, so I can keep an educated eye out for that issue. I'm sure Palm's listening too, and in fact I've been idly looking for a feedback email or form I can use to provide my own feature requests and bug reports. People who post little more than "lol this phone sux I'm buying an iPhone" aren't really interested in helping make the Pre a better device. They just want instant gratification... and heaven forbid they have any problems on other phones!

Long story short, don't let the negativity get to you and don't feed the trolls. I've learned a few new things today browsing the forums, and I've had a few missing features pointed out I wasn't aware of that I might be interested in if they're added in the future, like the ability to change the ringtone for Notifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusInnomen View Post
    To be honest, constructive criticism is just as valuable as useful information and undiscovered features to me.
    Key phrase here: constructive criticism. So much of the negativity can't in any way be labeled "constructive," and I think that's what's disturbing about this or any similar forum. Once gets used to it, but every now and then it does get tedious.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    People are more likely to post criticism than praise. When it just works, folks are happily using their devices. When someone needs to vent or needs help it shows up in the forums . What doesn't show up is the countless number of folks that are completely satisfied.
    Verizon
    Well, it's a question of what kind of moderation standards they wish to employ here. Looks like so far, anything goes. *shrug*
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I've found a lot of comments here very useful - for example, the problems with EAS and security policies means that the pre is a no-no for me until those are fixed.

You only pick those things up from user experiences.
    No one should get upset over criticism, especially constructive criticism. Whining gets tedious, but that's to be expected. Some people need to vent, and often it's because of their own ignorance. But getting all the criticism in one place is a great source of information and provides a forum for exchanging knowledge. If we could eliminate the fanboy-ism though it would be a much nicer place.
    Verizon