Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I've got the click issue in the top left area. For now, I'm compensating by holding the phone firm in my palm when closed and tapping so it doesn't drive me nuts!

If this is the worst thing that happens with this phone, I can live with it. I'm at least going to wait a few weeks and see what they say then when stock gets in.

Problem with any electronics are you may be giving up a phone that is otherwise perfect, for one that might have issues LOL.
    John Y - Aka Levelbest

Check out JOHNfm streaming on your Pre @ http://johnfm.com/pre
    Levelbest's Pre Wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by levelbest View Post
    I've got the click issue in the top left area. For now, I'm compensating by holding the phone firm in my palm when closed and tapping so it doesn't drive me nuts!

If this is the worst thing that happens with this phone, I can live with it. I'm at least going to wait a few weeks and see what they say then when stock gets in.

Problem with any electronics are you may be giving up a phone that is otherwise perfect, for one that might have issues LOL.
    exactly... i got a new version of the phone.. the one with the white box. flower sides.. and has no problems other than this slider looseness.. sigh.. its a gamble...
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    The gap widened on mine a bit more. I think it's tolerable though. Much like the first scratch on a new car.
    A scratch on a car is usually caused by someone's carelessness. A gap in the phone is a QC issue--hardly comparable. If your car gets scratched because you parked too close to bushes is that like buying a product that begins falling apart in the first week?? The former is your fault--the latter is the mfgr's fault.
    June 6 mine seemed loose. Had a little give when closed. Now, I can twist the screen left to right about 1/16 of an inch. When the slider is open, it is not loose. does this mean that eventually the halves will completely separate? Is this what you get in a $200 phone?
    I just exchanged my pre for a new one. The clear coat was coming up at the corner by the power button. The previous one I had didn't have any play in the screen, now this one will rotate counter clockwise 1/16 of an inch or so when closed but it doesn't seem so bad when open. I might wait a few months and then swap it out again, I doubt they will keep exchanging them for free so I only have one more shot. Might as well wait until palm fixes the QC issues.

To those with a loose top half, has it got worse since you bought it or is it about the same? Any one try and tighten up the screw under the palm sticker?
    I had no slider issues on my original one purchased release day. I had some spots on the screen that I went and exchanged for. Before even getting home I could tell a massive difference in the replacement with a wiggly screen. It drives me crazy!!! I took it back today and they said that until they actually work on Pre's thaey are only exchanging and that this was not en exchangeable issue as the phones function was not compromised. I called customer care and they said to try a different store as this is definitely a manufacturer defect and that the phone should be replaced. Im sure when I go that there will be no replacements available though. Fingers crossed for Pre #3!!!
    Same wiggle here. Did somebody try to disassembly the phone and assamble it assembly it again to tighten it up?
    just remember that they need a little play or it can't slide. Remember flip phones? Spring needed a little play. And the more you messed with it as if it was a rosary, the sooner the hinge wore out...

I've seen a slight difference in gap size on mine, but it slides fine. To me, the real test is to press down on the gesture area when the slider is open. If you don't feel a gap there, it's all good.
    Mine is fine when the keyboard is out but it wobbles, not much, when the slider is up and only slides to one side. Not as bad as my old slider though so it is tolerable. If it gets any worse, I'm on the blower to O2 though
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I tried two different pres, and both of them have a larger gap on the left side than on the right (in between keyboard and screen). This makes the phone's screen feel sort of loose when in the regular position (keyboard not extended). It's probably not a huge deal, but it just makes me sort of uncomfortable to have my screen shifting around when I hold it.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I've had teh EXACT same problem.
    When its not extended, there seems to be a little more of a gap on the left side of the phone and seems like it can wiggle ever so slightly.
    It bothers me as well
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpanwalking View Post
    I am not experiencing this at all. I have a build date of 5H9 (May 17, 2009) if that helps.
    how can you determine the built date of your phone??
    I'm curious about mine
    Quote Originally Posted by tr47 View Post
    Same wiggle here. Did somebody try to disassembly the phone and assamble it assembly it again to tighten it up?
    Here are pics from someone that show how the slider works, and what can/can't be tightened. I'd never have the guts to try that. I took my PalmV apart to try to upgrade the memory (which would make it a Vx) and I screwed it up. Had to pay a bunch of money for parts and for someone else to fix it.

But for those that are smarter and more adventurous than me, I'm sure they could follow those instructions... Just let us know how it goes!
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/02/2010 at 01:23 PM.
    And this is interesting:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Palm-Pre/809/3

And:
    Rapid Repair - Palm Pre Repair Guide by RapidRepair

Also this one from PreCentral, but I saw reports that the method below had cracked a few screens:
    http://www.precentral.net/battling-p...fect-diy-style
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234