Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mine also clicks when pressed on and moves a little.

Its hardly a problem though.

My phone went get ANY signal and the touchstone stopped working completely.

My trip to sprint tomorrow should be LOADS of fun.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I tried two different pres, and both of them have a larger gap on the left side than on the right (in between keyboard and screen). This makes the phone's screen feel sort of loose when in the regular position (keyboard not extended). It's probably not a huge deal, but it just makes me sort of uncomfortable to have my screen shifting around when I hold it.

Does anyone else have this problem?
    Mine is very loose and there is a much larger gap on the left as well. I can push the left side down and then it feels solid. I'll exchange if I decide to keep the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by unknownpleasures View Post
    Mine also clicks when pressed on and moves a little.

Its hardly a problem though.

My phone went get ANY signal and the touchstone stopped working completely.

My trip to sprint tomorrow should be LOADS of fun.
    My touchstone stopped work this afternoon....even after a hard reset. The Sprint store should be please to see me...this will be my 3rd Pre.
    Sprint Palm Pre....greatest Sprint phone ever created.
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_devious View Post
    My touchstone stopped work this afternoon....even after a hard reset. The Sprint store should be please to see me...this will be my 3rd Pre.
    I am going to the Sprint store first thing tomorrow. I can't effing wait to be told they have no replacement pre or touchstone for me.

I hope they are ready to see a very angry young man.
    Quote Originally Posted by unknownpleasures View Post
    I am going to the Sprint store first thing tomorrow. I can't effing wait to be told they have no replacement pre or touchstone for me.

I hope they are ready to see a very angry young man.
    The talked directly to the manager for my first replacement and he agreed to put me on the top of the waiting list for their 1st shipment after launch and I picked it up yesterday. It will be interesting to see how tomorrows discussion will go.
    Sprint Palm Pre....greatest Sprint phone ever created.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceyted View Post
    I kind of figured there would be a small amount of play. And to be completely honest, I am fine with the amount of play in it as long as it stays where it is at. If it gets much worse over the next 25 days I may have to consider returning it. I think people are more concerned with the aging of the slider mechanism than the actually play and gap currently.
    I just got my phone tonight and it came with a little bit of give. Yes there is a 1/16mm large gap on the left than on the right. And yes there is a bit of a clicking sound when the keyboard is hidden and I touch the screen. I have to admit, I don't think it's a problem, but then again I've never played with one that was "solid." I would imagine that with a slider there would be some give. I also agree that over the next 28 days if the phone gets worse I would be happy to bring it in to Sprint and get a replacement, but if it stays this way I am totally happy with that.
    "In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

insert crapy old phone here (x3)->Sanyo 4920 -> Sanyo 8200 -> Moto Q -> Palm Pre
  7. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I've got the same issue. As long as it doesn't start clapping like a clamshell i'll be alright. I definitely understand why others are concerned with it though.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Possible Fix: You'll need a T5 screwdriver
    If your slider is loose, it is likely because the top screw on the loose side needs to be tightened. I loosened the screw on the tight side of mine and it produced the same problem seen on the loose side.

In most cases (including mine) this screw is the one behind the palm sticker. This should be easily fixed at a Sprint Authorized Repair store.

If anybody has any luck with this, please post here. I'm going to a repair store, with my T5 tomorrow after work.
    Have you folks had slider phones before? They are not solid boards when opened. Everything flexes a little bit, but it does not mean there are going to be a problem 6 months from now.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snobum View Post
    Nope not at all. My slider seems rock solid. I've been really happy with it.
    Mine too.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by vkewalra View Post
    Possible Fix: You'll need a T5 screwdriver
    If your slider is loose, it is likely because the top screw on the loose side needs to be tightened. I loosened the screw on the tight side of mine and it produced the same problem seen on the loose side.

In most cases (including mine) this screw is the one behind the palm sticker. This should be easily fixed at a Sprint Authorized Repair store.

If anybody has any luck with this, please post here. I'm going to a repair store, with my T5 tomorrow after work.
    Do they have more stickers so they can put one over the place they have to breech to tighten the screw. Please let us know the outcome. I just losened the screw on the tight side of my Pre and you are right it forms a gap just like I see on the loose side. Just like you my loose side is covered by the damn warranty sticker ><
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_devious View Post
    At what point will you simply give up and get your money back? 4th? 5th? 10th?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Well mine is loose at the top (when closed). I can actually see about a 2mm gap between the two sections of the phone. I can see the metal track the screen slides on and actually stick my thumbnail in the gap at the top on the left side. This thing is going in for an exchange tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by moe300 View Post
    Well mine is loose at the top (when closed). I can actually see about a 2mm gap between the two sections of the phone. I can see the metal track the screen slides on and actually stick my thumbnail in the gap at the top on the left side. This thing is going in for an exchange tomorrow.
    Mine is loose at the top (wiggles a little bit), but I'm pretty sure that is normal. Yes my nail can fit inside the gap, but that gap has to be there to prevent hardware scraping (like the mirror.)
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    why not just MacGyver it? maybe drop a little krazy glue or bubble gum into the cracks. i'm sure that'll fix your baby. a few days of ownership? i wonder if this is a foreshadowing of what's to come over the next days/weeks/months/years of ownership.
    Oh go troll somewhere else. I've never had a phone that has been 100% perfect physically. I hated the slickness of the iPod Touch. The Diamond's battery cover came off continually in my pocket. The slider of my PPC-6700 had a penchant for sticking.

I know there are Pre's out there that don't have this issue. Its completely livable, but if I can exchange it out I wouldn't mind doing it. It in no way changes the fact that design wise and how it feels its the best phone I've held.

Seriously, no one cares what you think. You've gone into 100% full on troll mode where you add nothing useful or intelligent and instead just banter on. Go find a new bridge.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Have you folks had slider phones before? They are not solid boards when opened. Everything flexes a little bit, but it does not mean there are going to be a problem 6 months from now.
    I am glad there is someone else thinking the same exact thing. The point is that
    The slider is a MOVING mechanism which is
    Not designed to be "rock solid". If it were rock solid
    Than the slider would not work properly. There is bound to be some minor flex, but a 2mm gap is not acceptable in my opionion.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    This isn't a matter of it not being "rock solid" it's a matter of there being a significant amount of flex/gap. In my case it's to the point where if you pull out the battery you can look through the gap clearly. I've owned slider phones before and I disassembled and reassembled my last slider.

In this case I'm fairly sure it's a loose screw on the top left side. The screw is covered by a Palm sticker, presumably to protect against opening the device and voiding the warranty.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I just called them and if you just mention the wiggling and the gap issue they tell you to contact palm since that is deemed "normal"(aka not their problem) but if you mention the clicking they will issue you a replacement when available. Worse case senario you suck it up till they call you to pick up you're new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbgrules View Post
    I just called them and if you just mention the wiggling and the gap issue they tell you to contact palm since that is deemed "normal"(aka not their problem) but if you mention the clicking they will issue you a replacement when available. Worse case senario you suck it up till they call you to pick up you're new one.
    ah, you gotta love being an early adopter, eh? <g>
  20. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    The gap widened on mine a bit more. I think it's tolerable though. Much like the first scratch on a new car.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast