Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 73
  1. #21  
    according to palm/sprint this is a bad unit to go ahead and exchange it
  2. xenogear74's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by en0x View Post
    according to palm/sprint this is a bad unit to go ahead and exchange it
    Is there a source for them saying to exchange? Thanks!
  3. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I tried two different pres, and both of them have a larger gap on the left side than on the right (in between keyboard and screen). This makes the phone's screen feel sort of loose when in the regular position (keyboard not extended). It's probably not a huge deal, but it just makes me sort of uncomfortable to have my screen shifting around when I hold it.

    Does anyone else have this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    we purcahsed 3 pre's two of them have the gap on the left, like you describe, but the third is completely solid.

    does your pre kind of 'click' when you touch the screen while its closed? mine does, and it's kind of annoying. but I really dont feel like returning it. as logn as it doesn't break, I can live with it.
    Yep, mine's doing this too. I'm really tempted to see if I can get it exchanged, cause slowly but surely its bothering me more and more as the days go on. I love the build of the phone, but that little bit is driving me nuts.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear74 View Post
    Is there a source for them saying to exchange? Thanks!
    06/09/2009 01:42:36PM Pawel: "when the slider is closed should the top be loose?"
    06/09/2009 01:42:47PM Agent (Jeanna): "Let me check on that for you."
    06/09/2009 01:44:41PM Agent (Jeanna): "When you say the top is loose, what is it doing?"
    06/09/2009 01:44:56PM Agent (Jeanna): "The whole top piece?"
    06/09/2009 01:45:09PM Pawel: "i can move the top of the phone left and right"
    06/09/2009 01:45:32PM Pawel: "it's loose"
    06/09/2009 01:46:55PM Pawel: "ok i was able to make a call and it ID'ed as ********** ********** **********"
    06/09/2009 01:47:58PM Agent (Jeanna): "That is great. If the top piece is loose, I do suggest that you take it to a sprint repair center."


    so it looks like you can go ahead and exchange it for a good unit if you find one
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Yep, mine's doing this too. I'm really tempted to see if I can get it exchanged, cause slowly but surely its bothering me more and more as the days go on. I love the build of the phone, but that little bit is driving me nuts.
    why not just MacGyver it? maybe drop a little krazy glue or bubble gum into the cracks. i'm sure that'll fix your baby. a few days of ownership? i wonder if this is a foreshadowing of what's to come over the next days/weeks/months/years of ownership.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    why not just MacGyver it? maybe drop a little krazy glue or bubble gum into the cracks. i'm sure that'll fix your baby. a few days of ownership? i wonder if this is a foreshadowing of what's to come over the next days/weeks/months/years of ownership.
    .................
    Definitions of pessimism on the Web:

    * the feeling that things will turn out badly
    * a general disposition to look on the dark side and to expect the worst in all things
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

    * Pessimism, from the Latin pessimus (worst), is the decision to evaluate, perceive and view life in a generally negative light. Value judgments may vary dramatically between individuals, even when judgments of fact are undisputed. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pessimism

    * A general belief that bad things will happen; The doctrine that this world is the worst of all possible worlds
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pessimism

    * pessimist - a person who expects the worst
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

    * pessimistic - expecting the worst possible outcome
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

    * pessimist - Someone who given a choice of outcomes, believes the worst is more likely
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pessimist
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    why not just MacGyver it? maybe drop a little krazy glue or bubble gum into the cracks. i'm sure that'll fix your baby. a few days of ownership? i wonder if this is a foreshadowing of what's to come over the next days/weeks/months/years of ownership.
    So you go back to the Centro and now you become the "T" word?
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  8. #28  
    Mine has a little more gap on the right and it "taps" a bit when touching the top right corner of the screen. However, I have a Touch Pro. I can tell you the Pre does not have anywhere near the wiggle of the TP. I honestly don't know how you can make a slider that slides easily w/o a tad a play in the slide.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceyted View Post
    .................
    A pessimist is just an optimist with experience.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Mine has a little more gap on the right and it "taps" a bit when touching the top right corner of the screen. However, I have a Touch Pro. I can tell you the Pre does not have anywhere near the wiggle of the TP. I honestly don't know how you can make a slider that slides easily w/o a tad a play in the slide.
    I kind of figured there would be a small amount of play. And to be completely honest, I am fine with the amount of play in it as long as it stays where it is at. If it gets much worse over the next 25 days I may have to consider returning it. I think people are more concerned with the aging of the slider mechanism than the actually play and gap currently.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceyted View Post
    I kind of figured there would be a small amount of play. And to be completely honest, I am fine with the amount of play in it as long as it stays where it is at. If it gets much worse over the next 25 days I may have to consider returning it. I think people are more concerned with the aging of the slider mechanism than the actually play and gap currently.
    Which is why we have TEP! IMO, the slider itself is still strong - it really takes me two hands to open it (that cracked screen thread has me worried about putting my thumb on the screen and pressing hard!).
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  12.    #32  
    Well, I went to a Sprint Repair center (which is also a retail store) to talk to them about this, and both of their display models had a small bit of play, and also had the click issue. I'm not sure if the displays came this way, or developed this way from lots of usage, but another display I have tried at another store did not have this problem at all.

    When I talked to them, they said I could go and get a new one within 30 days when they have more in stock (I definitely would want to check and make sure the new one doesn't have the issue though)

    It wouldn't be such an issue to me, but I also realized that I have a dead pixel near the top, so, I may as well get it swapped while I can.
  13. #33  
    I was at the Chicago Premier launch and had to exchange my Pre before i could get out the door with this issue...

    Now my new one is the same

    Going to try to exchange today...will update here.
  14. vkewalra's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #34  
    Mine is pretty loose on the left side, about the same as the OP. I can definitely feel it when I press down on the screen when the slide is closed (no problem open). As soon as I can get to a Sprint store I'm going to try and swap it out.
  15. #35  
    If this is a problem with everyone, then maybe swapping it will do nothing. Guys, this may end up just being a symptom of the slider feature. Maybe we could somehow get a response from palm via their forums?
  16. #36  
    Tonight I noticed that the slider of the phone "wiggles" left to right when closed and open. I disagreed with the reviewers who said the phone felt "cheap" and "plasticky", but now I'm starting to wonder if my "seal of approval" was a little premature. Luckily this seems to be the only problem I have with my Pre, so I can live with it. If it gets worse I'll exchange it, I am concerned that Palm seems to have approved a hardware design that may have issues. Especially if this is their make or break product.
  17. #37  
    Sprint said i could exchange it but they were out of stock. More tomm hopefully...
  18. #38  
    With all the reports of dead pixels and loose sliders, it seems you guys might be VERY LUCKY to get a "perfect" copy of a Pre. Seems like Palm doesn't do well in the QC department. I can just imagine how well (poorly) the average Pre will be holding up just 6 months from now.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky Cricket View Post
    mine does, it moves maybe a 1/16th of an inch, the worst on the lower left by the keyboard. it just wiggles a bit. Doesn't really bother me though, cause other wise it seems solid.
    yeah same here... i can see this being trouble in the future... but i have insurance on it
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by derik123derik123 View Post
    yeah same here... i can see this being trouble in the future... but i have insurance on it
    You shouldn't have to pay a monthly fee for insurance to make up for the sins of the mfgr.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions