Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I've tried to get a Palm Pre today, and it appears that everywhere you go, they're looking at eachother and then telling you that they are out of Palm Pre's and won't be able to sell them until Wednesday.

Uh, right.

Maybe it's true, but I don't believe it. The reaction that I've gotten from everybody is the same one you get when you know somebody is lying... the classic liars response.

I understand why Palm would plan for a false shortage to try and increase demand, but I'm not impressed with it.
    They really did have a shortage. Lots of these units didn't even ship until very recently. The reason they didn't advertise much outside of the tech/online community was that they couldn't really support more than the first round of early adopters.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    or they could be looking at each other wondering "doesn't this guy know we sold out on Saturday?"

of course resupplies are supposed to be arriving this week, some reports suggest as early as today, but once they sold out of phones Saturday they started taking orders from customers for the next shipment. So the restock may be sold out as well.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    or they could be looking at each other wondering "doesn't this guy know we sold out on Saturday?"
    Yeah, I'm sure that's what they were doing.

Good call.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco John View Post

Good call.
    could be the resupply has already been pre-ordered Taco. So they could very well have Pre's in stock, just with other peoples names on them.
    Yeah - the shortages are a big fail for Palm and Sprint. They had a ton of buzz going into the weekend, but instead of a continuous flow of deliveries, the whole process grinds to a halt for 5 days (or more?) and everyone heads out to check out the new iPhone buzz. Talk about a squandered opportunity.
    OP,

You're a conspiracy theorist type, right?

Hold on guys, let me put on my tin foil hat.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    OP,

You're a conspiracy theorist type, right?

Hold on guys, let me put on my tin foil hat.

No. I'm a marketer.

Instead of tin foil, you might try a dunce cap.
    No. I'm a marketer.

Instead of tin foil, you might try a dunce cap.
    Maybe you should put it on! Believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around you. If someone says they're out of something they might just be out of that item. The world isn't out to keep you from getting the things you want. Trust me, as an inhabitant of the world, I know for a fact that people have better things to do with their time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ellianth View Post
    Maybe you should put it on! Believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around you. If someone says they're out of something they might just be out of that item. The world isn't out to keep you from getting the things you want. Trust me, as an inhabitant of the world, I know for a fact that people have better things to do with their time.

You might be right but I have seen that liars look before also
  11.    #11  
    Maybe.

But I just called one of my stores, told them my story and mentioned that since I need my phone today before I leave for my trip tomorrow, I'll probably have to switch to the iPhone and AT&T.

Magically, a Palm Pre has materialized. It's on hold for me now.

Maybe I'm wrong, and the shortage is real. But I've just discovered that the right story with the right threat produces Palm Pre's in short order.

Good call.
    Do you really think that Palm shipped them to these places and they're hiding them behind the counter? C'mon, man.

Now, if Palm/Sprint ARE pulling a Nintendo (like they did w/ the Wii) and holding back supplies, they'd do so at the warehouse. NOT at the point of sale.
    Maybe.

But I just called one of my stores, told them my story and mentioned that since I need my phone today before I leave for my trip tomorrow, I'll probably have to switch to the iPhone and AT&T.

Magically, a Palm Pre has materialized. It's on hold for me now.

Maybe I'm wrong, and the shortage is real. But I've just discovered that the right story with the right threat produces Palm Pre's in short order.
    Advocate unit found in the back confirmed....
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by northside View Post
    Do you really think that Palm shipped them to these places and they're hiding them behind the counter? C'mon, man.

Now, if Palm/Sprint ARE pulling a Nintendo (like they did w/ the Wii) and holding back supplies, they'd do so at the warehouse. NOT at the point of sale.

Yes, I absolutely think that they're pulling a Nintendo. And I don't personally care where they're holding the product.

And like I said - the right story with the right amount of pressure has amounted to the materialization of a Palm Pre which is on hold for me at the local store.

Now I've got to decide if I really want the phone after reading some of the threads here.
    maybe they decided to sell you one of the ones with someone elses name on it and wanna make that quick sell to you. then tell the other person whos pre you are puchasing, that the shipment with their name on it was delayed or late... lots of scenerios. whether they are right or wrong, I guess you'll never know unless you get them to confess to the lies and scandals they are pulling over on You.

enjoy your pre! I hope you don't come right back here and complain about stuff you knew it didn't do before you bought it.

oh and imagine that, you just lied to get your way. or did you?

hmmmm

really though, I do hope you enjoy it.
  16.    #16  
    No, I didn't lie. I dropped my 700 in the drink, and need a phone before I go on my trip. I'm already upset with Sprint that I can't use my $150 upgrade credit on the $299 price. They want me to buy the phone at $450 if I plan on using my upgrade credit. I've just about had it with Sprint.
    Went to my Sprint Store in NJ today, they were getting another shipment in from UPS when I was there. THey will be coming in almost daily they told me.
    So I've tried to get a Palm Pre today, and it appears that everywhere you go, they're looking at eachother and then telling you that they are out of Palm Pre's and won't be able to sell them until Wednesday.

Uh, right.

Maybe it's true, but I don't believe it. The reaction that I've gotten from everybody is the same one you get when you know somebody is lying... the classic liars response.

I understand why Palm would plan for a false shortage to try and increase demand, but I'm not impressed with it.
    OK, think about this for just a second (maybe longer since you don't sound too bright). They are businesses. We live in a capitalistic economy. All businesses want to make money. To make money they must sell you something. Therefore, nobody who wants to make money will turn you away on purpose. Hence, they don't have any Pres in stock.

Sucks to be you though.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Yes, I absolutely think that they're pulling a Nintendo. And I don't personally care where they're holding the product.

And like I said - the right story with the right amount of pressure has amounted to the materialization of a Palm Pre which is on hold for me at the local store.

Now I've got to decide if I really want the phone after reading some of the threads here.
    Well they could have been holding it for another person and they did not show up in time and you lucked out!

I would get a Pre over an iPhone. It just makes sense. The Pre will be more expensive up front but once the 2 years of you service contract are up you will have spent less than with AT&T and Apple's iPhone.

Something I'm sure you have given some thought.

Also, if they are pulling a Nintendo I don't think its fair to try and call them out on it like that. Isn't Nintendo selling a ba-jillion Wii's thanks to that tactic? Apple has done worse to its customers at every turn and they still go back. I think Palm and Sprint are a better choice.

my 2 cents on your situation.
    i had a 150 upgrade and i got the pre on sat at the retail price.. you're full of **** taco and i dont like it.. Taco John = Taco Troll
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast