Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    I'm planning on going camping in an area that has zero cell coverage. If I get the directions ahead of time, will the telenav still work to get me to the spot even once I go into a no coverage zone? Rerouting might not work, but I hope if I stay on track it will. Anybody know the answer?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wessock View Post
    I'm planning on going camping in an area that has zero cell coverage. If I get the directions ahead of time, will the telenav still work to get me to the spot even once I go into a no coverage zone? Rerouting might not work, but I hope if I stay on track it will. Anybody know the answer?
    Text directions from Google Maps will work and stay up even when you lose data. Not sure about GPS functionality.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Yeah problem is the wilderness doesn't have an address. I need to know when I'm getting close to a certain spot to find a trail.
    perhaps, if you know ahead of time the gps position, set up a contact with that location. You should be able to route to it, until the maps run out. --???
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    I haven't done it personally, but Telenav is said to cache a route ahead of time like you want. IE, once the route is found, it will cache the maps it needs tog et you to your destination and continue to use the phone's GPS just fine with the cached map. But like you say, it won't re-route you since it can't download a new map, so don't make a wrong turn.

That's how they say it works, but I haven't tried it, so I can't vouch for it personally.

Maybe a way to test it with pre, but not sure: route to a place with Telenav, and while driving, put your phone in airplane mode. GPS maybe still works in airplane mode, but the EVDO antenna definitely won't so it may be a way to test it if the GPS will will still work in airplane mode. I mean it makes sense to me that the GPS still would work, but I could very easily be wrong. But as easy as airplane mode is to go in and out of on the pre, it's easy to test.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    I haven't done it personally, but Telenav is said to cache a route ahead of time like you want. IE, once the route is found, it will cache the maps it needs tog et you to your destination and continue to use the phone's GPS just fine with the cached map. But like you say, it won't re-route you since it can't download a new map, so don't make a wrong turn.

That's how they say it works, but I haven't tried it, so I can't vouch for it personally.

Maybe a way to test it with pre, but not sure: route to a place with Telenav, and while driving, put your phone in airplane mode. GPS maybe still works in airplane mode, but the EVDO antenna definitely won't so it may be a way to test it if the GPS will will still work in airplane mode. I mean it makes sense to me that the GPS still would work, but I could very easily be wrong. But as easy as airplane mode is to go in and out of on the pre, it's easy to test.
    Good idea, thanks. I'll try that. GPS isn't sending a signal so it might work in airplane mode.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wessock View Post
    Don't have an answer, but you should checkout this cool feature from telenav...

TeleNav - Voice directions on your GPS phone

They have a browser add-in so when you highlight an address on a web page and click the telenav button, it sends it to your phone's gps nav system (under "Favorites")

It is really slick!!

Enjoy!!!