Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    New iPhone 3GS Announced... Still waiting for my PRE!

12:01 pm In the US, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, UK. A week later, 6 more countries. Many more to come this summer
    12:01 pm The iPhone 3GS will be available on June 19th.
    12:01 pm The iPhone 3G 8GB will be available for $99 today.
    12:00 pm Apple wants the iPhone to be more affordable. The existing 8GB iPhone 3G will remain -- for $99.
    12:00 pm Those are AT&T prices for new and qualifying customers; may vary elsewhere. Comes in black and white, as before.
    11:59 am $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB.
    11:59 am Ships with iPhone OS 3.0 for $199.
    OK. Here's what I see are the big points for Pre users regarding the new iPhone 3.0:

1. Memory - 32 GB, that's huge. Still no expansion slot, though. Point Apple.
    2. Games/enhanced graphics - I bought a phone, not a GameBoy. But quite a selection of entertainment. Point Apple.
    3. Push technology. Hardly discussed in the presentation. Apple still wants you to only be able to do one thing at a time. Point Palm.
    4. Battery life. Obviously not "real world stats". No points.
    5. Video. Fine, Palm will get it done eventually. Point Apple.
    6. MMS/Tethering. AT&T needs to upgrade for MMS, forbidding tethering. Point Palm.
    7. iTunes parental restrictions/purchasing. No surprise here. Point Apple.
    8. Voice control. Impressive. Point Apple.
    9. $99 iPhone 3G 8G. That's how you get the device in the hands of users. Point Apple.
    10. 3MP camera. No points.
    11. Find my iPhone/data wipe. No points.
    12. TomTom. Meet Sprint Navigator. No points.
    This is total fail from apple. No oled no ichat. Palm has nothing to worry about. All palm needs to do is release the eos to compete with the 99$ iphone.
    Porsche should sue. S is their trademark (as in Carrera S, Boxster S...)
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I have to agree.... I was hoping for something innovative from Apple. I was an iPhone user from day 1, but recently upgraded to the Pre. I have to say... despite my fears about the keyboard, I am overall very pleased with my decision. Apple reinforced my decision today... there is absolutely nothing remarkable about the new iPhone. It's a basic memory update for hardware... & still no true multi-tasking. Pre wins this one hands down... now they just need to market the **** outta this thing.

I would love to see a commercial with someone listening to Pandora, sending a text and able to check their email all at the same time, while their trendy iPhone friend watches on & has to stop at each entry point for apps.

Just my two cents from a former iPhone user & new Pre convert!
    Why are you comparing it to the 3.0, why not the new iPhone?
    I have to say, I'm thinking about returning my Pre now. I don't want an iPhone and don't intend to buy one, but with Apple/AT&T now selling an 8GB iPhone 3G for only $99 I can't help but think that Sprint/Palm are going to have to respond with a price drop or memory bump....right? It would might also give them some time to work out the v. 1.0 problems.

But I don't know. . . I do like my Pre. But is it worth twice as much as an iPhone with similar stats? That's going to be a very tough sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by emair View Post
    OK. Here's what I see are the big points for Pre users regarding the new iPhone 3.0:

2. Games/enhanced graphics - I bought a phone, not a GameBoy. But quite a selection of entertainment. Point Apple.
    3. Push technology. Hardly discussed in the presentation. Apple still wants you to only be able to do one thing at a time. Point Palm.
    6. MMS/Tethering. AT&T needs to upgrade for MMS, forbidding tethering. Point Palm.
    9. $99 iPhone 3G 8G. That's how you get the device in the hands of users. Point Apple.
    I think you're off on some of those. $99 iphone? It's simply selling a year old model for less. Guess what? I bet the Pre sells for less a year from now. But why would you want it if the Pre2 is out? Not to mention carrier plans play more of a factor in "getting it in the hands of users"

Video recording? I wouldn't assume that Palm is coming out with that. They've not mentioned it that i know of.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueaura View Post
    I have to say, I'm thinking about returning my Pre now. I don't want an iPhone and don't intend to buy one, but with Apple/AT&T now selling an 8GB iPhone 3G for only $99 I can't help but think that Sprint/Palm are going to have to respond with a price drop or memory bump....right? It would might also give them some time to work out the v. 1.0 problems.

But I don't know. . . I do like my Pre. But is it worth twice as much as an iPhone with similar stats? That's going to be a very tough sell.
    Do you pay a monthly bill to your carrier? Can you do math? Geez...
  10. Duo

These may not be “real world stats” but the iPhone 3G was better than the Pre - real world so I would say Point Apple in a BIG way. Also I’ve found their battery life estimates to be pretty good in the past.

Find my iPhone: Point Apple

12. TomTom. Meet Sprint Navigator. No points.[/QUOTE]
    You will be able to use this (and the phone all over the world). Point Apple. Is Sprint Navigator free?

13. Camera Flash. Point Palm.

14. Hardware keyboard. Point Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    Why are you comparing it to the 3.0, why not the new iPhone?
    Well, now after this, they are both one in the same...

4. from my experience the Pre battery is horrible compared to my 3G and the new 3Gs should improve on that. Hopefully a Palm update fixes this.
    5. You can even edit the video.
    6. MMS is an ATT fault not iPhone, it will be allowed on other carriers. Same goes for Tethering. ATT to allow end of summer but other carriers are allowing it when released.
    10. Why not put a flash on it. Pre has flash and iPhone has auto focus.

Don't forget the iphone can copy and paste from the browser. It can copy and paste multiple pictures and videos and email them. It can search through out the whole phone. You can search in the caledar, emails, apps, music, videos, contacts. If we were talking about networks then we could add that the iPhone can browse the web and send and receive email while on a call, but that's a carrier issue.
  13. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think you're off on some of those. $99 iphone? It's simply selling a year old model for less. Guess what? I bet the Pre sells for less a year from now. But why would you want it if the Pre2 is out? Not to mention carrier plans play more of a factor in "getting it in the hands of users"

Video recording? I wouldn't assume that Palm is coming out with that. They've not mentioned it that i know of.
    Last year’s model or not after July the 11th when the $100 rebate on the Pre ends and the price goes to $300 a $99 iPhone is going to look pretty attractive to anyone considering both devices.
  14. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    I'm staying with my Pre. Also Sprint has MUCH cheaper rate plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    Last year’s model or not after July the 11th when the $100 rebate on the Pre ends and the price goes to $300 a $99 iPhone is going to look pretty attractive to anyone considering both devices.
    If you say so...

Personally, i wouldn't be interested in such an old phone that will continue to be slower and limited as the OS & developers take the new hardware specs into account.
    Is Sprint Navigator free?
    Free with any data plan, which of course you're required to have with the Pre. So TomTom has generally been around $200 in the past, versus free GPS navigation with the Pre? I'll stick with the Pre. Also, you say you can use TomTom all over the world, but that's incorrect. Usually you buy it by country, so you pay one price for the US maps, and then would pay something else for the UK, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    Well, now after this, they are both one in the same...
    Except that the new one has a faster processor (how fast IDK, I don't think they're telling) and a 7.2Mbps HSDPA-compatible radio. All they are saying about it is that it's 2 times faster than the 3G. All in All I don't think they did enough to lure me back.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

You will be able to use this (and the phone all over the world). Point Apple. Is Sprint Navigator free?

[/QUOTE]

Yes. It's included.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I think apple failed with their "updates" to the "new" iphone. Same old rip off. You pay less for an older model, true...but you end up paying more than if you had a Pre simply because of the carrier --> Sprint FTW
    13. Camera Flash. Point Palm.
    Autofocus Point Apple
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast