Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Storage won't matter once the "cloud" capabilities come to fruition. Once we get flash support, it's a whole new ball game. I can access all my music (itunes library) on something like lala.com!
    I wanted to upgrade my iphone 3G to 3Gs but I'm ineligible for the $199 price and would have to pay $499. I think to break my AT&T contract would be $150, plus the $199 for a Pre and it's cheaper to go that route....considering if I really want a Pre...
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by spectator52 View Post
    Storage won't matter once the "cloud" capabilities come to fruition. Once we get flash support, it's a whole new ball game. I can access all my music (itunes library) on something like lala.com!
    Yes and know, accessing your files on the HDD rather than connecting to it would be faster and use less battery power too.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    and you cant tether on a Pre. I guess you should go back to your N95.
    That is an incorrect statement. I tethered with my Pre just now via Bluetooth. It worked just fine. My usual access on my laptop is either WiFi (which is off by the manual hardware button -- yes, I checked.), Ethernet (not connected here at my office, to much of a pain), or my Sprint Mobile Datacard. Now, I can add the Pre via Bluetooth to that list. BIG POINT PALM
    palm pre is everything i need and more, with a good low budget plan
    iphone and att doesnt interest me
    The 3GS is like the Aston Martin DBS. There really is nothing wrong with a DB9 yet the DBS is a lot more expensive (The 3GS is not more but that is not the point here) and the DB9 does the same things the DBS does.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    The 3GS is like the Aston Martin DBS. There really is nothing wrong with a DB9 yet the DBS is a lot more expensive (The 3GS is not more but that is not the point here) and the DB9 does the same things the DBS does.
    But if you buy the DBS, you can buy this nifty watch!

Aston Martin - The Cars - DBS - AMVOX2 DBS Transponder Watch
    Quote Originally Posted by mo-bile View Post
    I wanted to upgrade my iphone 3G to 3Gs but I'm ineligible for the $199 price and would have to pay $499. I think to break my AT&T contract would be $150, plus the $199 for a Pre and it's cheaper to go that route....considering if I really want a Pre...
    You could do the same thing to get an iPhone too.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I don't understand how people try to quantify operating systems by feature "points."

WebOS just gives a better overall feel for a phone in my personal opinion. I could never go back to an iphone. The only quantifiable feature that the 3GS offers that makes me a bit jealous is 32gb storage.

Also, all this talk about AUTOFOCUS

I was under the impression a lens has to actually move for any real focusing to occur. Is the iphone claiming to come with a moving lens?
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcbeutler View Post

I was under the impression a lens has to actually move for any real focusing to occur. Is the iphone claiming to come with a moving lens?
    Yes. How else can you autofocus if you the lense is fixed?
    Quote Originally Posted by tcbeutler View Post
    I don't understand how people try to quantify operating systems by feature "points."

WebOS just gives a better overall feel for a phone in my personal opinion. I could never go back to an iphone. The only quantifiable feature that the 3GS offers that makes me a bit jealous is 32gb storage.

Its a very personal decision. For me, the Pre has kind of been sitting on my desk while I mostly use my 3G iPhone and blackberry. I just find to many annoying issues right now with the Pre. My iPhone just works. I am eagerly awaiting the 3GS (UPS says I will have mine tomorrow), and Pre OS updates to make it a little more usable for me. However, the biggest issue I have with the Pre cannot be fixed by a software update; the screen is just to small for my old eyes.
    I've always said that one isn't a patch for the other, but honestly...my iPod Touch 16GB hasn't been used much since I got the Pre. The iPod/iphone screen is so dingy looking, comparatively speaking, that it bothers me now. And for playing both my music and a movie or TV show or two...the Pre gets the job done just fine. Its superior implementation of Pandora makes it a way better media player - strictly for me - overall. If you're huge on pausing podcasts and/or incessantly skipping back and forth inside songs, the Pre is not for you...as of yet, at least.

Although I don't own an iPhone, the phone and PDA functions of it were always inferior to even a Centro in my eyes, so that never entered into the equation. iPhone 3GS does nothing to patch any of these problems, so it never entered into the equation either. Everything else on the Pre is cake over the iPhone including being able to use the full Facebook, the fantastic Google/Facebook contact integration, and Sprint Nav at no extra charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I've always said that one isn't a patch for the other, but honestly...my iPod Touch 16GB hasn't been used much since I got the Pre. The iPod/iphone screen is so dingy looking, comparatively speaking, that it bothers me now. And for playing both my music and a movie or TV show or two...the Pre gets the job done just fine. Its superior implementation of Pandora makes it a way better media player - strictly for me - overall. If you're huge on pausing podcasts and/or incessantly skipping back and forth inside songs, the Pre is not for you...as of yet, at least.

Although I don't own an iPhone, the phone and PDA functions of it were always inferior to even a Centro in my eyes, so that never entered into the equation. iPhone 3GS does nothing to patch any of these problems, so it never entered into the equation either. Everything else on the Pre is cake over the iPhone including being able to use the full Facebook, the fantastic Google/Facebook contact integration, and Sprint Nav at no extra charge.
    Honestly, after using the Pre since launch date, I don't know how anybody can claim its on the iPhone level for media needs. Also, with 3rd party software, the PDA functions are far superior on the iPhone. But that's just me. Looking forward to the Pre updates.
    Honestly, after using the Pre since launch date, I don't know how anybody can claim its on the iPhone level for media needs.
    Easy.

1. Start Pandora (My primary source of music on the go since I get bored with 60GB library of music quickly having heard it all many times over).
    2. Answer an incoming text, type an email, map out an upcoming drive, or just browse the Web.

Remember...I said "strictly for me". I only need an iPod/Pre/iPhone to play my audio/video files from my iTunes playlists faithfully while sounding good. Pandora pushes it over the top.

Also, with 3rd party software, the PDA functions are far superior on the iPhone.
    Well, for me, PDA means being able to access contact data quickly. And since I only have to open the Pre and start typing, whereas iPhone needs you to start apps, bring up the keyboard and/or swipe scrolling lists to get what you need....it simply will not do.

Having immediate access to a hardware QWERTY is a huge advantage for an efficient OS like WebOS. The iPhone OS is maddeningly inefficient at the simplest tasks.
    Honestly, after using the Pre since launch date, I don't know how anybody can claim its on the iPhone level for media needs. Also, with 3rd party software, the PDA functions are far superior on the iPhone. But that's just me. Looking forward to the Pre updates.
    Can you give us some examples? Really, I am interested. I have had an iPhone (but that was 3 months ago, ATT's service sucked for me) and besides the apps, I like the Pre a little better. I have my Pre syncing with iTunes and while the player itself is maybe not as good as the iPhone's, I have my music/playlists and I have movies just like I did with the iPhone. As far as PDA functions - not sure what you mean here either. As I recall, the Pre pretty much does Exchange like the iPhone does - same limitations. So what was better, again in your opinion?
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Well, lets start with I find 7 gig of usable space inadequate for all my music, video, photos, podcasts, and applications. I have about 10 gig of music alone. I also like to keep video and photos of my kids with me to show friends and relatives. 32 gigs on the new iPhone will be very welcome.

Some people don't like it, but I love the itunes integration. Its not just for buying and syncing music (I often use Amazon to buy music). I can also subscribe and sync podcasts, purchase and rent movies, and download Television shows.

Screen size is a major factor for me as I like to watch a lot of video (I commute many hours a day). I find the Pre screen just a little to small. I realize this is a matter of opinion.

As for PDA, I use Pocket Informant on my iPhone. It destroys either the built in iPhone or Pre calendar. The views offered and customization are incredible. Plus it integrates tasks which can be broken into different projects GTD style. An upcoming version will allow direct outlook sync over wifi.
    Here is a utube vid of a 3GS put through it's paces. It's in Portugese and looks to be in a store. It looks very snappy so I am looking forward to trying one on Friday and will also try a Pre too. The voice control in Portugese is interesting. Unlocked too.

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    I don't think the Pre is at the same level as the iPhone (1st gen, 3g, or 3gs) as far as media is concerned. I don't think its very far behind though, either. For me e-mail, web, and phone are the key elements that are driving my purchase. The pre does all of those very for me (including Sprint's network).

As far as a PDA goes, the Pre is DEFINITELY better than the iphone, but once 3.0 is out, Palm must implement universal search for e-mail and calendar to stay ahead.
    Last edited by timGSU; 06/16/2009 at 10:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timGSU View Post
    I don't think the Pre is at the same level as the iPhone (1st gen, 3g, or 3gs) as far as media is concerned. I don't think its very far behind though, either. For me e-mail, web, and phone are the key elements that are driving my purchase. The pre does all of those very for me (including Sprint's network).

As far as a PDA goes, the Pre is DEFINITELY better than the iphone, but once 3.0 is out, Palm must implement universal search for e-mail and calendar to stay ahead.
    Please detail how the Pre makes for a better PDA. I will put up Pocket Informant for the iPhone against the Palm built in PDA any day.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Please detail how the Pre makes for a better PDA. I will put up Pocket Informant for the iPhone against the Palm built in PDA any day.
    Stock, no 3rd party app support.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast