Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    apple has nice price range for their devices..... $99 for 8gb is a great deal. they will sell millions more.... i'm still happy with my pre and i no longer envy any phone on the market
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yeah, right? Who would be caught dead toting around a phone with that old outdated technology like 7.2mbps HSDPA and 32GB storage? The iPhone needs revolutionary things like a slide-out keyboard, touch screen, and EAS.
    Hahaha in the UK that speed is old hat. So many phones have it.

Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com

72 phones have HSDPA 7.2MBps

Yeah new technology indeed!!

32mb of storage - way too much for my needs and for most people. but hey I am sure of the 72 phones above well over 80% will have an card slot.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I had no intentions to stay with AT&T and this new iPhone is pretty weak I think. The one thing I do find very valuable is the compass feature and voice dialing, but at the end of the day WebOS multitasking wins. I'll be getting a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8addicted View Post
    apple has nice price range for their devices..... $99 for 8gb is a great deal. they will sell millions more.... i'm still happy with my pre and i no longer envy any phone on the market
    Umm...its a year old phone. Why would anyone pay 99 (vs 199) to get an outdated phone while still paying a premium carrier plan? If they knock down the monthly price, then it makes some sense.
    I was concidering the iPhone but I just made my decision to stay with the Pre. I went to the apple store to reserver an iPhone 3GS and I went through the steps but because my account is not yet eligible for an upgrade they want $699 for the 32GB...CRAZY...I expected to pay more but $400 over it's advertised value is just crazy...I guess they just lost me as a customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post

32mb of storage - way too much for my needs and for most people.
    It isn't when you start downloading movies and tv shows. And when you start storing all the video people are going to take with the camera. It can fill up fast.
    I think TECHNICALLY the iphone is a better device. The stats show it.
    HOWEVER
    for many folks, the Pre isn't about just hardware specs. Its about how the phone is used. And honestly apple is no where close. I really like the iphone, but it really can't compete with the productivity of the WebOS.
    Lets take dialing my Best Friend's phone number.
    On the pre (and even on my Centro with ultimate Phone) I can just type the first 3 letters of his name and hit talk...........
    Now lets search for something on google.....Just start Typing.

The messaging system, task switching, and the all around feel of the OS are the reasons Palm gets the winning point for me.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emair View Post
    11. Find my iPhone/data wipe. No points.

Point Pre! Actually, 99 points for Pre per year! Apple charges $99/yr for the Mobile Me service that includes Find my iphone/data wipe. Pre gives you data wipe for free. $99/yr is crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Hahaha in the UK that speed is old hat. So many phones have it.

Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com

72 phones have HSDPA 7.2MBps

Yeah new technology indeed!!

32mb of storage - way too much for my needs and for most people. but hey I am sure of the 72 phones above well over 80% will have an card slot.
    32gigs is way to much for most people? Did you take a poll? How do you know this?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Umm...its a year old phone. Why would anyone pay 99 (vs 199) to get an outdated phone while still paying a premium carrier plan? If they knock down the monthly price, then it makes some sense.
    Because for some people, the current iPhone offers features that interest them more than any other phone.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I say the first one to get Flash wins! :P

Truthfully, I don't know if I could go to an iPhone after having legit multitasking on my Pre. Cards are so sweet.
    now that the iPhone 3GS is no longer a mystery, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed.... I guess we'll see the effects come June 19th.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
  13. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

Until today people were happily paying much more than $99 for the 8GB iPhone. Now they will get the same hardware but with OS 3.0 for $99.
    You have to remember just because the $100 rebate is expiring, doesn't mean they can't extend the rebate further. it's been done by Sprint before.
  15. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    You have to remember just because the $100 rebate is expiring, doesn't mean they can't extend the rebate further. it's been done by Sprint before.
    True.
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    In this case I don't think they have a choice. Very, very few people would pay $300 (after rebate) for a Pre when a 16GB iPhone is $100 cheaper. People who don't want an iPhone would probably just wait for a price drop or try something else (an Android phone maybe?).
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    I had no intentions to stay with AT&T and this new iPhone is pretty weak I think. The one thing I do find very valuable is the compass feature and voice dialing, but at the end of the day WebOS multitasking wins. I'll be getting a Pre.
    I have a compass on my Timex watch, and it runs off no battery. Well the compass is on the top and is extremely tiny, and I hold the watch up, and get my directions. The watch cost me $17, and it does many other things too.

And at the end of the day I can know that I didn't waste battery on a compass, and didn't have to take my phone out every time I needed it.

I'm sure it is useful for some, and maybe it's great for geotagging or something, but I am not sure I would use it. I think i'd have to see what it was EXACTLY used for. If it's just a built in compass, my watch works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by blueaura View Post
    In this case I don't think they have a choice. Very, very few people would pay $300 (after rebate) for a Pre when a 16GB iPhone is $100 cheaper. People who don't want an iPhone would probably just wait for a price drop or try something else (an Android phone maybe?).
    I was looking at the pricing, and for the iPhone, it would be $69.99 then $20 for unlimited text.

With the Pre, you can get the 450 minutes I believe and unlimited everything else for $69.99. That includes text.

So that's what...$240 extra per year. I read the 16GB was $149 so $150+$240= $390

It seems as if you'd still be ahead with the Pre because you're paying less for the plan. If you can get the referral you'd be paying $59.99 for 500min I think, then unlimited everything else.

So all in all you're paying...

Sprint=$300 (or $199) + $840 (plan cost per year at the $69.99 plan)= $1140
    AT&T= $149 (16GB)+ $1080 (plan cost per year at the $69.99+$20 Unl text) =$1229

It is cheaper by $89 to own the Pre.
    If you can get it for $199 it is $189 cheaper to own the Pre.

Some people wont care about another $89 TOTAL per year after dividing it all up. Some wont care about the $189 cheaper if they were to qualify for the Pre and decide to get the iPhone.

Now if you can get the ERP plan from Sprint, you save an extra $10, so that's another $120 savings per year.

Personally, I want to wait and see what the HTC TP2 is going to be, because I have a cheap plan from the old SERO, and pay $26 WITH TAX for that exact same thing above. I have the same number of minutes, and unlimited data and text, and mobile to mobile. Now you see why I dont change.

If I absolutely HAD too, I would more then likely go with the Pre if they could give me the discount for my work. Then it would be 23% off the $69.99 plan, so i'd pay even less then getting a ERP plan. It would run about $53.89.

Anyway, that's what I came up with math wise
    Last edited by quickstang; 06/08/2009 at 06:11 PM.
    I didn't follow the apple announcement, but I'm happy about my pre. Without multi-tasking and better push, the Palm is just more useful. The voice prompts are great and Palm should work on this, but I think that is possible in existing WebOS as an overlay.

My big complaint about iPhone is the form factor and the fact it is more of a media device than a tool.

I love the apps on iPhone and that is where Palm will live or die.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    I have a compass on my Timex watch, and it runs off no battery. Well the compass is on the top and is extremely tiny, and I hold the watch up, and get my directions. The watch cost me $17, and it does many other things too.

And at the end of the day I can know that I didn't waste battery on a compass, and didn't have to take my phone out every time I needed it.

I'm sure it is useful for some, and maybe it's great for geotagging or something, but I am not sure I would use it. I think i'd have to see what it was EXACTLY used for. If it's just a built in compass, my watch works fine.
    I use Google Maps a lot because I'm constantly running around and using public transport so map orientation is very important when you're running around trying to find places hehe

I suspect the next generation devices from Palm will catch up, so it's no big deal. At the end of the day I'm happy to be leaving the Apple ecosystem as they are very slow to give new features.. i.e. took them 2 years for MMS.

Another thing that I think is neat about the new iPhone is the video recording, I like how I can capture something and then edit and upload it immediately after taking it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    I use Google Maps a lot because I'm constantly running around and using public transport so map orientation is very important when you're running around trying to find places hehe

I suspect the next generation devices from Palm will catch up, so it's no big deal. At the end of the day I'm happy to be leaving the Apple ecosystem as they are very slow to give new features.. i.e. took them 2 years for MMS.

Another thing that I think is neat about the new iPhone is the video recording, I like how I can capture something and then edit and upload it immediately after taking it.
    I mean it just goes back and forth from one thing to the other. I think I read the whole being able to cut copy and paste from the web with the iPhone and not from the Pre. If that is so, I like that idea.

I guess you weigh the options on each individual device and with what YOU want, and what YOU need. I would have to sit down and really compare to see, but I also look at price. Sprint plans have always been the cheapest, at least for me. And I would hate to pay more then I have too, just for the device.

Also too, I am not sure what AT&T offers as far as discounts for places of employment like Sprint. I'd have to look that up.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast