Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Do you pay a monthly bill to your carrier? Can you do math? Geez...
    Yes I do and yes I can. However I'm coming from a non-3G plan on T-Mobile which is even cheaper, so I'm paying more on Sprint. This is expected.

But my point is this... with most phones, prices fall over time. Early adopters pay a premium. OK, I get it. But the Pre's #1 competitor just a) cut the cost of the most equivalently specced phone to half of the Pre's cost and b) released a new, faster, longer lasting (battery life) phone with double the capacity for the same price.

I can't help but think these factors are going to pressure Sprint/Palm into dropping the price and/or upping the stats (namely the storage) more quickly than would otherwise be the case.

Again, I have NO INTENTION of getting an iPhone or switching to AT&T. I am just speculating that Apple changed the game a bit today and a little patience could pay off bigger than previously expected.
  2. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by mh262 View Post
    You will be able to use this (and the phone all over the world). Point Apple. Is Sprint Navigator free?

Yes. It's included.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Free with any data plan, which of course you're required to have with the Pre. So TomTom has generally been around $200 in the past, versus free GPS navigation with the Pre? I'll stick with the Pre. Also, you say you can use TomTom all over the world, but that's incorrect. Usually you buy it by country, so you pay one price for the US maps, and then would pay something else for the UK, etc.
    Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if it was free and this changes things.

I know that you buy Tom Tom maps per country (or per region) but that doesn't stop you from using the software in another country (if you purchase the maps). If similar software becomes available for the Pre then users will have the Sprint software plus the option of a 3rd party app.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    When AT&T has their nights and weekends start at 7 pm, I'll think about it. Except of course if they want me to pay even more for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueaura View Post
    Yes I do and yes I can. However I'm coming from a non-3G plan on T-Mobile which is even cheaper, so I'm paying more on Sprint. This is expected.

But my point is this... with most phones, prices fall over time. Early adopters pay a premium. OK, I get it. But the Pre's #1 competitor just a) cut the cost of the most equivalently specced phone to half of the Pre's cost and b) released a new, faster, longer lasting (battery life) phone with double the capacity for the same price.

I can't help but think these factors are going to pressure Sprint/Palm into dropping the price and/or upping the stats (namely the storage) more quickly than would otherwise be the case.

Again, I have NO INTENTION of getting an iPhone or switching to AT&T. I am just speculating that Apple changed the game a bit today and a little patience could pay off bigger than previously expected.
    You know over similar unlimited everything 2-yr contracts you're paying over $1000 more for AT&T than Sprint--EVEN IF THEY GAVE THE IPHONE OUT FOR FREE!!! Engadget has a great breakdown of this in their Pre review.

Unfortunately, Apple knows most ppl can't do the math despite a calculator integrated into almost every phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    4. Battery life. Obviously not "real world stats". No points.
    These may not be “real world stats” but the iPhone 3G was better than the Pre - real world so I would say Point Apple in a BIG way. Also I’ve found their battery life estimates to be pretty good in the past.
    Battery life may be longer on the iPhone, but either phone under heavy use will not last a day. Where Palm wins me over is being able to switch batteries.

Working in the entertainment industry, I frequently put in 10 hr days, out and about (Read: not sitting at a desk) My phone is with me at all times.

After heavy use my phone is typically drained by 8pm. Having a nightlife (friends, networking, etc...) I don't have the time to wait for an iPhone to recharge. With the Pre or 99% of the phones, i can swap out when I get home, no thinking needed. No fuss with a car charger, charging at the office, or whatnot. For this major POINT PALM
    Don't forget that you can replace the battery on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heffer View Post
    You know over similar unlimited everything 2-yr contracts you're paying over $1000 more for AT&T than Sprint--EVEN IF THEY GAVE THE IPHONE OUT FOR FREE!!! Engadget has a great breakdown of this in their Pre review.
    That really only matters if you need unlimited everything. If you just need unlimited data, its not such a big difference.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmOD View Post
    Don't forget that you can replace the battery on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    That really only matters if you need unlimited everything. If you just need unlimited data, its not such a big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Autofocus Point Apple
    But Palm has a flash, so it's a draw.

This whole thread is like a tennis match.
    Well Sprint's plan is cheaper than AT&T's iPhone plan. This is true. For me it would probably be about $180/year more. I don't really need unlimited Text, so I figured I'd go with the 1500/month (probably more than I need, but the d-bags have nothing between 200 and 1500). But again, I'm not going to switch to AT&T or get an iPhone.

Most people won't bother doing the math on the different cost of the plan unless Sprint aggressively makes the point in their marketing and I don't know if that will even be enough. Most people seem to be willing to pay more over time for an up front savings. From a PRPRPR/$marketing$ $stand$ $point$, $the$ $iPhone$ $pricing$ $could$ $hurt$ $the$ $Pre$ $unless$ $something$ $is$ $done$ $about$ $it$ $soon$.

(oops prematurely posted... post now completed)
    Last edited by blueaura; 06/08/2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: posted too early by mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post

Don't forget the iphone can copy and paste from the browser. It can copy and paste multiple pictures and videos and email them. It can search through out the whole phone. You can search in the caledar, emails, apps, music, videos, contacts. If we were talking about networks then we could add that the iPhone can browse the web and send and receive email while on a call, but that's a carrier issue.
    Which can all be done in a 2 year old Nokia. The point is Pre has shown advances in technology - the Iphone 3gs is such a let down. It's Apple milking its users.
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Which can all be done in a 2 year old Nokia. The point is Pre has shown advances in technology - the Iphone 3gs is such a let down. It's Apple milking its users.
    Didn't you hear that speech that Jobs wants people to buy an iPod every year...

I don't think the iPhone is an exception... because it is an iPod...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Iphone 3GS epitmosies what Apple stands for - they try to sell old dated technology as something new.

I was tethering via bluetooth ages ago and the using wifi on my N95. Serious if you have brains you won't consider an Iphone as a smart phone. It' can't multi task.
    Iphone 3GS epitmosies what Apple stands for - they try to sell old dated technology as something new.

I was tethering via bluetooth ages ago and the using wifi on my N95. Serious if you have brains you won't consider an Iphone as a smart phone. It' can't multi task.
    and you cant tether on a Pre. I guess you should go back to your N95.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if it was free and this changes things.

I know that you buy Tom Tom maps per country (or per region) but that doesn't stop you from using the software in another country (if you purchase the maps). If similar software becomes available for the Pre then users will have the Sprint software plus the option of a 3rd party app.
    Also remember if you are driving around Europe with your iPhone navigating you around, you are using data on a pay basis. After a week or two in the French countryside, I'll bet you spent enough roaming chargers to equal the cost of a really nice DVD based navigation system with 8' LCD for your Ford Pinto once you return home.
    New iPhone is not a big improvement over the old one. Glad I got the Pre.

Yeah, right? Who would be caught dead toting around a phone with that old outdated technology like 7.2mbps HSDPA and 32GB storage? The iPhone needs revolutionary things like a slide-out keyboard, touch screen, and EAS.
    As far as pricing goes, Sprint phones have always cost more than everybody else (generally), although their prices have moderated a good bit in the last year or two (after the stupid "manufacturers" [cough >> bullsh&t] rebates).
    The TomTom on every Windows and Symbian smartphone I have used has been a simple install via a SD card - nothing fancy pop it in and your'e away. Updates can be installed as well as points of interest.

But the TomTom on Iphone 3GS requires an active data connection? Why?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast