Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    this is my opinion that I posted in another thread earlier today.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstardjal View Post
    for what it's worth, I installed both these patches, and while it enabled me to open almost twenty cards, I got the dreaded "sorry, too many catds" again today. Had 4 cards active. Can't remember exactly what. I closed one...no go. Closed #2...nahuh. Closed#3....can't believe this, still too many. I now have one card left open, can you guess? If you said BROWSER, that's right. So I close browser card and BAM, opened next card. Then another. Then another. Stopped around 10.

this leads me to believe, a lot of "my" memory problem; can't speak for anyone else; is coming from browser. Btw, I had cleared my browser cache about 2-3 hours before this. Thi is just my personal experience that happened only once since adding these great patches, so take it for what its worth. Never know what might help someone debug/improve the device even further
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    As a WinMo user I never appreciated multitasking because of all the memory leaks that would slow down the OS to a crawl. With the Pre I'm really amazed at how useful it can be, but I have had that "too many cards..." problem a few times. In fact, this morning it gave me the error with ZERO cards open.

I'm not sure what app is leaking/hogging but this is one of those issues that will get solved in an update so I'm not worried.
    I have only had the too many card error with zero apps come up after using Trapster for awhile. If I use it for 30 minutes+, close the app, than try to open something else later, I need to restart the Pre first. Think there is a mem leak in Trapster.
    Happens to me sometimes after browsing. Must be a leak in the browser. Yesterday it got so I could only open one card in browser. Rebooted and had 6 open with no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    power off and then power back on...reboot.

My pre is much faster and no more card issues.

Must be a mem leak....they will fix with update.
    Why does everyone keep ASSUMING that this will get fixed with an update anytime soon, when they haven't even taken care of txt fwd or notification alerts and choices yet?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    how about a new browser from the homebrew community?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by vijayd View Post
    I am guessing Luna (GUI) restart can fix this issue (memory leak). This would be faster than regular reboot. Is there a way to restart Luna from the phone (and not using WebOS quickinstall)?
    I've been using the Luna Manager homebrew app to restart Luna anytime I feel the Pre is getting sluggish. However, as you can probably imagine, there is nothing more frustrating than getting the "Too many cards open" message and being unable to open Luna Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstardjal View Post
    this is my opinion that I posted in another thread earlier today.
    Y'know, it would be much more helpful if you posted the name of the patch you installed.

I don't know, just a thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Why does everyone keep ASSUMING that this will get fixed with an update anytime soon, when they haven't even taken care of txt fwd or notification alerts and choices yet?
    Because text forwarding and notification alerts are not "bugs" but this memory leak is.
    Last edited by Carioca_FL; 10/21/2009 at 04:01 PM.
    ME TOO DAG NABBIT!

I've been having the same problem lately. I know I've downloaded that TRAPSTER App and been running it lately and it has been so lagging! Could this be the problem?

I had the too many cards open message when I didn't have any apps open at all! Many restarts in the past few days.

Help Palm.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    ive had this problem with TRAPSTER bein the only card open and sayin too many cards
    I think trapster cosumes a LOT of memory
    suck butter
    I get this problem as well. Usually I have a few cards open

bweather
    texting
    1 web page(x.facebook)
    battery monitor

Most times if I open a new card it will give me the "too many cards open, please throw some away" error. I get rid of one, try to open a new one. Nothing
    I throw away another, try to open one. Nothing
    I get rid off all, try to open one... nothing. Same deal. I have no cards open and it says I still have too many cards.

A restart usually fixes it but it is annoying to have to do this. I remember reading in a preview that the Pre could do 16 cards max??
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjelaphant View Post
    I remember reading in a preview that the Pre could do 16 cards max??
    I've been able to have, on several occasions, as many as 14 cards opened, but that's after a fresh restart.

I don't think the memory leakage issue is due to any single app -it seems it's a widespread issue, as I've seen this problem on Pres that only have stock apps installed. No patches, no homebrew apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I've been using the Luna Manager homebrew app to restart Luna anytime I feel the Pre is getting sluggish. However, as you can probably imagine, there is nothing more frustrating than getting the "Too many cards open" message and being unable to open Luna Manager.

Y'know, it would be much more helpful if you posted the name of the patch you installed.

I don't know, just a thought...

Because text forwarding and notification alerts are not "bugs" but this memory leak is.
    Whether it's a bug, or something not fixed- an oversight is an oversight. Especially if everybody knows and complains about it.
    there is a lot of garbage not being deleted as far as memory is concerned on the pre. Once they iron out that problem it will be better. Just coding errors really. A luna reset is really all you need if the problem is bad.
    This problem didn't start for me until I enabled the patch that allows multiple windows for text conversations.
    While I only keep 3-4 text conversations going a day, I usually close the specific conversation window before a long break (lunch, meeting, etc).
    It's happened twice so far, but a quick reboot takes care of it. If it happens again today or tomorrow I'll try disabling that patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    ME TOO DAG NABBIT!

Help Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    suck butter
    what is wrong with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Happens to me sometimes after browsing. Must be a leak in the browser. Yesterday it got so I could only open one card in browser. Rebooted and had 6 open with no issues.
    Ditto to this. I've noticed that opening multiple browser cards (even if they are closed afterwards) keep some data in memory, and the more you browse the worse off you get. All browser cards need to be closed when not in use anymore because if one card is open, all the previously used card's memory seems to be still held.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Ditto again. I get this message all the time - and only when browsing the web with multiple cards open. There might be multiple memory leaks, but there is DEFINITELY one in the web browser...
    I just had this error and all I had open was GroceryList and Accuweather. I restarted the Pre, so hopefully this will be taken care of. Not much in the way of multitasking if this is the limit!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12