Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1.    #1  
    Or more aptly, can the palm pre handle a sinking ship?

    Hey guys, I know I haven't been active in the forum but here's the quick story. I got my pre saturday morning (yayyy) before I went on a houseboat trip. On sunday we got on a boat to take us back to land.

    The boat sunk...

    This is no lie, it really happened and my pre is really hurting. (not to mention my psyche).

    I've got it to where the screen comes on, but it looks like it is not keeping a charge. Has anyone else dunked their phone yet? Anyone seen this screen yet?

    **Note**
    I have both sprint and best buy insurance, the problem right now is that there's no more in stock anywhere in south louisiana right now.

    **second note**
    I can't give a direct link to the img of what the screen looks like but you can figure it out.

    <edited by toolkit>
    here you go:

    (make 10 posts and you can post links yourself (its an anti spam measure ...) )
    Last edited by ToolkiT; 06/08/2009 at 08:57 AM.
  2.    #2  
    One more thing, that screen shows up as long as it's plugged in. If I unplug it the screen goes away and nothing else comes up.
  3. #3  
    Water and any cell phone isn't a good combination. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Generally if you even want to attemt to revive a dunked phone you need to remove the battery immediately to minimize the risk of shorting something out and let the phone completely dry out (a bag of rice works well).
  4. lbates's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #4  
    A friend of mine just dunked his phone. Removing the battery and putting the phone in a bag of rice (should be plentiful in south Louisiana) for a while worked for him.
    Last edited by lbates; 06/08/2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Typo
  5. #5  
    One of our backup cell phones at home was found by my son at the bottom of the subdivision pool. I removed the battery and let it dry out (for a week). Put the battery back in, charged it up, and it works just dandy.

    Good Luck!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by lbates View Post
    A friend of mine just dunked his iphone. Removing the battery and putting the phone in a bag of rice (should be plentiful in south Louisiana) for a while worked for him.
    Really? His iPhone battery? Did he have a Dremel handy?
  7. #7  
    try taking the battery out ASAP!!
    Then put it in an airtight bag and add some of these silica bags that draw out moisture)

    That way you might get all the moisture out before it is too late..

    My treo 650 had a similar problem and it thought it was syncing all the time because of that (short circuit due to water) but after a long long dryout it worked fine again...
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  8.    #8  
    thanks for posting the image toolkit, i totally understand the spam measures.

    and as for drying it out i've tried everything but the rice and silica bags. i'll try that today but this is my dilemma... i don't want to be out of a phone for a week. i have my old htc mogul (scary to go back to that) but i'm worried if i activate it then my insurance on the pre will be void.

    i'll go one more day without it and if it's the same tomorrow i'm going to bring it to best buy and sprint and let you guys know how their insurance policies works.

    thanks for the tips guys.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by tommysb View Post
    thanks for posting the image toolkit, i totally understand the spam measures.

    and as for drying it out i've tried everything but the rice and silica bags. i'll try that today but this is my dilemma... i don't want to be out of a phone for a week. i have my old htc mogul (scary to go back to that) but i'm worried if i activate it then my insurance on the pre will be void.

    i'll go one more day without it and if it's the same tomorrow i'm going to bring it to best buy and sprint and let you guys know how their insurance policies works.

    thanks for the tips guys.
    Let me know how the sprint insurance goes...my sprint store won't do it in store, read my story here:

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...nt-pocket.html

    So i had to go thru assurion but i see you have the best buy insurance as well.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by tommysb View Post
    ... i have my old htc mogul ...
    My HTC Mogul went into the water last summer. got out the precision screwdriver kit, took it apart as much as possible, then used a hair dryer (sans heat, of course) to air dry ASAP. Then, I did not reassemble until the next day.

    Result: a few keys in the corners don't always respond appropriately, but everything else works ok, but did see a slight downhill progression these past few months. all in all 95% proper functioning.

    Your Mileage WILL(?) Vary with your Pre. may help you limp along better till the replacement arrives.

    GL!
    I see pandas.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bballintom22 View Post
    So i had to go thru assurion but i see you have the best buy insurance as well.
    what is assurion? i've read the TEP agreement and it says it covers lost, submerged and damaged phones. should be no problem at all right?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by tommysb View Post
    what is assurion? i've read the TEP agreement and it says it covers lost, submerged and damaged phones. should be no problem at all right?
    thats the company that handles sprint's TEP, yeah it should be covered but the debate is whether they have any in stock. I called several times to confirm i'm gettin a PRE and that's what the rep told me i would be getting but another forum member said they were just offering him a blackberry pearl, what a joke.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bballintom22 View Post
    thats the company that handles sprint's TEP, yeah it should be covered but the debate is whether they have any in stock. I called several times to confirm i'm gettin a PRE and that's what the rep told me i would be getting but another forum member said they were just offering him a blackberry pearl, what a joke.
    yeah that's a rip off.

    the best buy insurance doesn't cover submerged, but does cover water damage and they will try to repair it. so i'll try the repair first. if this doesn't qualify as submerged, but as regular water damage they're supposed to replace it with the same phone.

    we'll see, but nobody has them in stock right now and that can be a big monkey wrench. total bad luck.
  14. #14  
    I seem to recall seeing that the Pre has some kind of moisture sensor in it - I think in the iFixit tear down?

    No idea what that would do, though.

    Good luck!
  15. #15  
    Wait - your boat sank and you are worried about your phone? I'm loving this forum!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Far Left Texas View Post
    Wait - your boat sank and you are worried about your phone? I'm loving this forum!
    lol well i'm alive and so is everyone else, gotta complain about something.
  17. NINnerd's Avatar
    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    #17  
    Far Left - I was thinking the same thing. You freaking sunk! In a boat! LOL!

    Seriously, though, I hope you get a new Pre soon.

    ETA: Dude, you should've held that Pre up like a beer when you're in the pool! Haha.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
  18. #18  
    A few years ago, I revived a soaked cell phone by removing the battery and then rinsing it with rubbing alcohol. I then used a compressed air can and let it dry for about an hour. It worked fine after that.

    Also, In my local Sprint store, they have a laminated card at all the registers advertising the insurance program, the card says "How to make your cell phone waterproof"!!!!
  19.    #19  
    yeah, i should've not even had the phone on me. there's no cell service out there anyway, i just wanted to show it off.
  20. SoCal65's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    #20  
    You mean you got on a boat without using a waterproof cell phone case?

    What were you thinking???





    P.S. They really do make those BTW...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions