Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just in case this happens to anyone else. If you get your phone wet, turn it off immediate. The salts in the water is what the real problem is. Go to the store and buy some 90/10 isopropyl (alcohol) and pour a generous amount on your phone. The alcohol will displace the the "bad" minerals and salt on your phone and evaporate and the remaining 10 is distilled (usually) water and is for the most part harmless.

The reason, other than the obvious, why electronics don't like water is the minerals, salt, and other stuff they put into. If you can displace those and your didn't fry anything with a power surge your phone should work perfectly afterwards.
  2.    #22  
    jar i will try that immediately when i get home. i'll let y'all know the results.
    Next time you'll take it in a ziplock baggie, won't you?

Glad to hear everyone is okay, and good luck getting your Pre fixed or replaced.
    Palm III - Tungsten E2 - Treo 680 - Palm Pre - Impatiently awaiting a Pre 3!
  4.    #24  
    actually maggie, i think i'll go back to my old rule of never bringing my phone where mass amounts of water are present.

and jar, i haven't put it all back together yet but i'm worried about the alcohol. i poured it on the phone and the phone drained it out as a blue dye-ish looking liquid. i know there's no good topics on this sort of problem with the pre yet but a google search on that with the iphone said it works...

i'm worried that the screen uses something that the alcohol washed away though.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommysb View Post
    Or more aptly, can the palm pre handle a sinking ship?

Hey guys, I know I haven't been active in the forum but here's the quick story. I got my pre saturday morning (yayyy) before I went on a houseboat trip. On sunday we got on a boat to take us back to land.

The boat sunk...

This is no lie, it really happened and my pre is really hurting. (not to mention my psyche).

I've got it to where the screen comes on, but it looks like it is not keeping a charge. Has anyone else dunked their phone yet? Anyone seen this screen yet?

**Note**
    I have both sprint and best buy insurance, the problem right now is that there's no more in stock anywhere in south louisiana right now.

**second note**
    I can't give a direct link to the img of what the screen looks like but you can figure it out.

<edited by toolkit>
    here you go:

(make 10 posts and you can post links yourself (its an anti spam measure ...) )
    I'm sure the boat owners would be happy to give you some money to replace your pre. Just don't mention that you have insurance .
  6.    #26  
    just want to give you guys an update on the insurance situation. i spoke to a sprint rep through their web chat and she had this to day.

i asked if i activated my old phone, would it void the TEP. she said not to activate but to file a claim first and then activate the old phone.
    so i asked her when the pres are shipping again and she said she didn't know.
    i then asked her if i make a claim, will they force me to take a replacement or would they wait for the phones to ship again. she said they would wait until the pres ship again.

so i guess for any others that have screwed up their phones already, go back to your old one until they ship again.
    I cannot speak for certain what the stuff is coming out, but I wouldn't worry to much about the isopropyl doing any harm. Any damage that is done is going to be be from the initial sinking and the phone being on. The "blue die" might be anything from gunk in the water that dried to just that, ink. It is just a printed board, a high tech one, but still works on fundamental principals. Let it dry and try to turn it on and embrace the healing powers of 90/10.
  8.    #28  
    well that's the thing, it wasn't on when it sank. but i guess me trying to turn it on yesterday was a little too soon.

as of now, though, that screen with the battery icon won't come on at all.
    Sorry to hear that, could be a million things, at least you have the insurance.

Just because knowing why it happened is as important as the problem itself the reason why water and electricity is bad is because the voltage and water will corrode or cross the traces on the board very quickly, thus making the phone do strange things. (phones version of brain trauma)

If you want to keep messing with it, try eliminating problems. If you take the battery our and plug it into the AC charger, you should get a battery with a question mark. This will tell you if it is battery or contacts. Next battery in and plugged in the charger and so forth.
    I thought this was another joke thread like, the pre isn't waterproof?!? I'm taking it back! it doesn't walk on water?!? I'm taking it back!

really though, sorry to hear you were on a boat that sank! that's crazy! sorry to hear about your pre as well. at least ya got insurance!
  11.    #31  
    here's what the phone does when connected to the ac adapter with no battery.

here's what it does with the battery in.

could this be the water damage sensor? is this fixable through best buy insurance?

the screen does look a lot better though.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommysb View Post
    just want to give you guys an update on the insurance situation. i spoke to a sprint rep through their web chat and she had this to day.

i asked if i activated my old phone, would it void the TEP. she said not to activate but to file a claim first and then activate the old phone.
    so i asked her when the pres are shipping again and she said she didn't know.
    i then asked her if i make a claim, will they force me to take a replacement or would they wait for the phones to ship again. she said they would wait until the pres ship again.

so i guess for any others that have screwed up their phones already, go back to your old one until they ship again.
    Like i said in my other thread...i got a confirmation email saying that i'm getting the PRE with next business day shipping..and i just checked my claim status online and it has a TRACKING NUMBER!!! even though it's not in UPS' system yet. I would just call assurion (the company that handles sprint's TEP) and talk with them directly. Oh yah i also activated my touch pro before i called and they just looked at my history. The rep had to have her supervisor do a manual form and order it herself so YMMV
  13.    #33  
    thanks tom, i'll call them this afternoon. i'm gonna give it one last hurrah at fixing it, after that i'll call assurion.

and vanadium, i'm sure that's what it is but i don't understand why. is it so they can refurbish it? i mean it's dry now, let me charge it damnit.
    Well with best buy insurance, they supposedly guarantee a phone in 3 to 5 days and in the mean time they give you a loaner phone.. It also covers all forms of accidental damage. I switched when i bought my pre from TEP to the geeksquad insurance because of the on sentence the rep told me " If you throw your phone at your girlfriend when she gets you mad, and it breaks into a hundred pieces, scoop it up bring it to us and we will have you a brand new one in 3 to 5 days. And this can happen as many time as you like. So you should be safe I just do not know if they will be able to do the 3 -5 day thing right now. But i'm pretty sure they can give you a loaner phone, i know not the same. But it is better than nothing.
    I thought that was the "low battery" indicator. Have you tried actually letting it charge? If you have, maybe the battery shorted out, in which case a new battery might be all you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    I thought that was the "low battery" indicator. Have you tried actually letting it charge? If you have, maybe the battery shorted out, in which case a new battery might be all you need.
    Yes but why take the chance of something else maybe happening in the near future when you can just take care of it now. I say even if it does start working turn it in because it will probably stop working again at the worst time...
  17.    #37  
    running warrior, that's beginning to be my thinking.

caitlyn, i can leave it charging all day long and that icon doesn't change.
    You may have shorted out the battery. That's what happened when my Centro went through the washing machine. I'd say it might be worth it to order a new battery and see how the phone works after that.

Cheaper then the insurace dectuctable anyway. And if you get it from Sprint and it doesn't work, you can always return it if you have to take the phone in for TEP.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12