Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ***NOTE: HOTMAIL WAS THE ISSUE. IF YOU HAVE HEAT AND BATTERY DRAIN ISSUES REMOVE HOTMAIL UNTIL PALM COMES UP WITH A FIX.***

My Pre got insanely hot and drained the batteries in 3 in a half hours with nothing running. It locked up and would only display the battery low symbol. Had to pull the battery to bring it back...even after charging.

I recalled I had an IR thermometer (they go for as low as $40 bucks now) and decided to take some actual measurements. When I get a chance I will measure my neighbor's Pre which doesn't seem to be having the same overheating/short battery life issue as mine.

In 5 hours this morning, with only about 45 minutes of actual use and everything turned off., my Pre went from 100% to 25% charge. It felt unusually warm, but not nearly as hot as the last couple times. I measured it after sitting for an hour, when charging and with a few apps running. I measured it with and without the battery cover on.

Just sitting and charging (nothing running) it felt warm...particularly in a few spots and measured 102 F, at the lower rh corner. Another time, under the same conditions it measured 112 F. Another time, with the cover off it measured 117 F and the battery itself measured 115 F...close to the charging pins.

Under full load, with the battery disconected it measured as high as 118 F with the cover on. With the cover off I found some places closer to 120 F...just under the battery connection and on the rh side.

Have not measured anything that felt as hot as yesterday.

If you have an IR gauge, measure your readings and post them in this thread so we can see how much variation there are between phones.
    Last edited by Disaster; 06/09/2009 at 12:34 AM. Reason: To add Hotmail alert.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    There gotta be some background process/service running the processor, that is sucking the battery dry (and consequently making the phone run warm/hot).
    Aim perhaps? --- a known issue that drains very quickly...
  4.    #4  
    I don't have AIM or anything else active besides email account synchs, Hotmail, Gmail, and Yahoo...set for 1 hour, 24 hours and manual synch, respectively.

Weird thing this morning. I decided to try a worst power use scenario. I pulled it off charger at 57% charge at 8:48am. Ran Sprint Navigation, web browser, Accuweather, Pandora streaming, Tasks, Contacts and Email. 9:26am, 38 minutes later it still has 37% charge and is the longer it runs the cooler it gets! It started out about 104 F and now the warmest place I can measure (with IR thermometer) is 97 F. Either early problem was some strange software glitch that hasn't shown itself again or a maybe a voltage regulation issue.

Going to shut everything down and put it back on the charger and remeasure in a couple hours.
  5.    #5  
    Latest. As per last post I ran Sprint Navigation, web browser, Accuweather, Pandora streaming, Tasks, Contacts and Email for a full hour and phone drained from 57% to 26%...which seemed pretty reasonable considering Navigation and Pandora are pretty power hungry. Stranger still, the Pre got cooler the longer it ran till reaching a cool 92 F at the end of the hour.

I killed all the applications and turned off the all the location features (GPS..etc) and put it back on the charger. By 10:30am...it was back up to 120 F!...with nothing running. It is now 10:45am and it still on the charger (72% charge) and has cooled down to 102 F.

If anyone else has an IR thermometer would you please measure the back cover of your device to see what ranges of temperatures you see. We need more than just my one data point.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Is your reception good, like 5 bars or minimal like 0-1 or 2 bars. If the signal strength is poor, it may constantly be looking for a signal. My reception at my home is 0-1 and the phone does not drop calls. My phone does get warm, but not hot.
    Disaster: I think you've had a battery conditioning issue. Many people here have reported battery life getting better day by day. I hope yours will continue to get better too.

Also, getting hot while charging is pretty normal. The Touchstone makes it get quite warm indeed. This seems expected to me, though. I would expect it to get as warm as a wall transformer, and it does.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  8.    #8  
    Charged it up 100% at about 1pm. By 5pm it was down to 30%. Decided something must be wrong so I went back to the Sprint store. When I got there it was at 17%...within a half hour it was at 11% and shut down. They agreed there was something wrong with the phone. Unfortunately, the few they had in stock were promised to customers on the waiting list who were due to arrive that evening. They told me they'd have more in tomorrow. Asked me to call them tomorrow...pita....hopefully the replacement will be better.

FYI, when I got back I threw it on the charger and this time it hit 133 F...a new measured record!

P.S. Reception is fine at my house...and I would suspect at the Sprint store as well.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Oooo! Good thinking with the thermometer. I have one too. My Pre is charging right now so I pulled out my IF thermometer and it measured 124.6% on the back cover. Yikes!!!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Up to 126.5 degrees now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Charged it up 100% at about 1pm. By 5pm it was down to 30%. Decided something must be wrong so I went back to the Sprint store. When I got there it was at 17%...within a half hour it was at 11% and shut down. They agreed there was something wrong with the phone. Unfortunately, the few they had in stock were promised to customers on the waiting list who were due to arrive that evening. They told me they'd have more in tomorrow. Asked me to call them tomorrow...pita....hopefully the replacement will be better.

FYI, when I got back I threw it on the charger and this time it hit 133 F...a new measured record!

P.S. Reception is fine at my house...and I would suspect at the Sprint store as well.
    Just for grins, someone else in another thread said they took out their hotmail account and the phone was no longer warm. Something about it was having a hard time with hotmail and never timed out so it just kept trying to connect. Thus, warm and poor battery issues. Give that a shot, take out hotmail from the equation and see if that helps. If it doesn't, try another one to narrow down if it is a connection problem with one of them.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    127.4 now!
    When I do USB charging from a laptop it seems fine, no hotter then any other phone I've had. Anyone else find this so?

UPDATE:
    Oops, spoke to soon, it's like 200 degrees now I'm currently cooking an egg on it right now guess that makes it another feature
    Last edited by deesugar; 06/08/2009 at 06:56 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    Just for grins, someone else in another thread said they took out their hotmail account and the phone was no longer warm. Something about it was having a hard time with hotmail and never timed out so it just kept trying to connect. Thus, warm and poor battery issues. Give that a shot, take out hotmail from the equation and see if that helps. If it doesn't, try another one to narrow down if it is a connection problem with one of them.
    Good point. Sometimes the little synch indicator keeps spinning and spinning on the hotmail account. I'll try removing it tonight and see if that helps.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
    127.4 now!
    Ha...still got you beat at 133 F. Check to see how hot it gets when not charging. Mine felt the hottest Sunday night, about an hour after it was charged. Unfortunately, I didn't think about the IR thermometer till the next day. The hottest I've measured it, off the charger is about 120 F.
    also try a power recycle, might be some software got stuck in background
    how about you kill all your syncs and all your apps and see how it works. Then turn your syncs back on one at a time (maybe one per day) and see if you can find your offender (if that's the problems).
  18.    #18  
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I noticed, when entering the Hotmail account the activity/synching icon would keep spinning...and spinning...and spinning. I have over 3000 unread emails in the account (I know...I need to do some maintenance.) Perhaps that made it worse.

I removed the account after the last charge cycle (it was hot before I removed it) and for the last 30 minutes the Pre has not budged off 100% charge...with nothing running and 5 minute checks to see battery level. Further, it is cool as a cucumber. Previously it would be down to 93-90% in the same time frame.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    wow, truly was "hot" mail.
    It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm really quite busy.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    well heck! I didnt realize I could sync with hotmail! This just keeps getting better.
    Last edited by Mikest; 06/08/2009 at 09:58 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast