1.    #1  
    I have placed some m4v files I have converted over via iTunes for use on my iPod Touch 2nd Generation onto the Pre. One of the large files (500+ MB) worked while on the 1.01 firmware. It stopped working now that I'm on 1.02, and now all of the large m4v files don't work. All of the smaller files seem to work though (< 120 MB).

Anyone else with large m4v file experience on the Pre?
  2.    #2  
    By the way, it plays a split second of audio, then throws up the message:
    Error
    There was an error playing the file
    [Back button]
    corrupted in transfering large files? re-copy the file?
    Reloading them doesn't change anything. The same error is displayed.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I have a 900, 400, and a dozen 200mb m4v videos running flawlessly on my Pre with OS 1.0.2. I converted them with HandBrake though, not itunes.
    Just verified from Sprint that the Pre will not play any file (music or video) that is not DRM free.

So all those videos that iTunes offers for free are NOT DRM free as I found out.

What Sprint said to do is when in iTunes goto 'properties' or 'get info' and look to see if it's DRM free. It was the first line of info on that page.

And Palm's website does list all the supported formats on the Pre:

For music it said:

You can play music that you copy from your computer or stream from the web in the following formats: MP3, AAC, or AAC+ format. For files received as email attachments, you can play files in the MP3, AAC, AAC+, WAV, AMR, or QCLEP format.

For Video:

You can view videos in the MPEG4, H.263, H.264, MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3GPP, 3G2, and 3GP2 formats. Videos play on your phone in landscape orientation.

DRM free!

Hope this helps!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I've have a few "bad" conversions that would start then stop with the "error".
    They were'nt large though.
    I also have a few .mp4s that was converted for use on my Touch Pro that plays fine on the PrPrPr $that$ $are$ $over$ $700mb$.
    I've now been converting to .mpv (ffmepg), >800mb, with handbrake and so far so good.
  8.    #8  
    The 1.0.3 firmware update didn't fix this issue.

BTW: The m4v files I created are DRM free. I also reloaded them and they still fail. I think I created them with Quicktime Pro.

Thanks goes out to all those who are helping out.
    Is the resolution correct? Try resizing the videos to 320 x 480 if they're not...Pre isn't as friendly to other resolutions as the ipod/iphone..
    Wow resurrecting a really old thread here.....

Well i recently got a Pre2, and i'm having a problem playing *some* m4v files.

So i transferred two large m4v files onto the Pre2, in the same folder. Both files are 1.5GB.
    Both files were encoded using Handbrake:
    -H.264, 640X480 and 640X352, 1.5kbps video
    -AAC 128kbps, 44.1 sample rate

The 640X480 video plays just fine. The 640X352 video does not. I'm baffled. Any suggestions?