Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    <EDIT> Alright, I've updated the thread with tips 18 through 22 </EDIT> - 06/30

This should be a neat thread abour some unique feaures that you find within the pre/webOS platform, especially considering how palm has decided against including a 1000 page manual with the pre.

I'll start off with this neat feature I found that inspired me to make this thread in the first place:
    If you have the web browser in landscape mode, then swiping youe finger along the gesture bar will automatically scroll you up or down one pagelength. This is really useful for reading text or engadget or whatever.

Ok, here's what we have so far:
    1. Screenshots (orange + sym + P, or orange + shift + P) can be used to make art.
    2. Holding orange in a text field while sliding your finger across the screen moves the cursor around, holding shift allows you to select text in the same way.
    3. Pressing any keypad key will wake the device instead of the power button - Useful for if the phone is open and falls asleep.
    4. Universal search can be used to open websites (by typing in precentral.net for example)
    5. When playing a song with the music player, tapping on the menu gives you a host of options for searching content related the the artist on youtube or the amazon mp3 store.
    6. Tapping the power button twice will ignore an incoming call. The first tap silences the ringer, and the second one ignores the call.
    7. Pressing spacebar will take a picture with the camera app. This is easier than tapping on the screen.
    8. If you want to make alarm MP3s available to the alarm clock but don't want to drop them in the ringtones folder, you can create an /alarms root folder and put them there. To select one of these MP3s from the alarm clock, go to the ringtone selection screen for an alarm and then click on the icon you see on the lower-left.
    9. My Favorite: Typing upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart while the launcher screen is open, or the home screen (w/o any cards open) will activate developer code. This feature alone is why the Palm Pre > iPhone.
    10. Pressing spacebar while the calculator is open gives more advanced numerical operations... Also, the basic numerical operators (+, -, *, /) as well as numbers can be inputted from the keyboard w/o pushing the orange button... push "=" (p) to see the results.
    11. When editing text, placing the cursor anywhere inside or around a word and pressing shift + backspace will automatically delete the whole word.
    12. To silence an incoming call, simply press the volume down button (power button works also, see above).
    13. Here is a list of hash codes which allow all sorts of features... for example typing ##477# will give you your GPS coordinates.
    14. Typing someone's name in the message app whom you already have a thread with will bring up just that thread.
    15. User mstinson has found some interesting graphic file in the pre. Follow this post to see the specific details.
    16. The included headphones can be used to control music. Pressing the button (located on the mic) once will pause the music you're listening to, 3 times will skip to the next song, and I assume you can also answer incoming calls like this.
    17. Sliding your finger across the screen of a playing video will allow you to skip forward or backward.
    18. When typing an e-mail, pressing <sym> + <b> or <sym> + <i> will allow you to bold or italicize text.
    19. You can perform the copy and paste commands by using the gesture area instead of the sym key. (i.e. if you want to copy, select your text, hold a finger on the gesture area, and press <c>)
    20. You can easily verify your speed dial selections by typing the number while in the launcher or in card view. Your results will pop up almost immediately.
    21. Throwing a card towards but not into the gesture area will cause it to bounce. You can play with this if you're easily amused.
    22. There is a contact search in the message app. Useful for if you have a thousand different conversations and don't want to scroll through all of them.
    Last edited by Fried Chicken; 06/30/2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Updated list of features/easter eggs posted so far.
    Not enough software comes with easter eggs anymore. I long for the good old days where things like Excel came with hidden first-person 3D games.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    well, after finding out about the screenshot tool (orange + sym + P, or orange + shift + P)

I immediately made this masterpiece:

hold orange in text field and move cursor when sliding finger
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerfeld View Post
    Really?... Really?

I hope Palm put a taxi in webOS .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Pomokey, that is beautiful.
    Using the shift key instead of the orange allows you to select text while in text fields.

You don't need to drag your finger on the screen near the cursor, just somewhere on the screen. That way, you can see what is being selected. Let go of either finger to stop selection (or moving the cursor, if you're using the orange key). This was demoed in a video showing cut and paste (which can be found in the menus).
    yeah found that out before
  9.    #9  
    That is genious!!! Much better than tapping like an *****, trying to gey the cursor in the right place.
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    well, after finding out about the screenshot tool (orange + sym + P, or orange + shift + P)

I immediately made this masterpiece:

can you elaborate on this... i can't figure out how you did that-- when do you select those keystrokes?
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    He just took a screenshot, opened the screenshot up as a card, took another and repeat.
    If you have the screen off and the keyboard out, and need to wake the device - you can use the spacebar to turn it on.
  13. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Now that is useful. I keep having to turn it over and try to get to the power button.
    Thanks!
    I have 1:

1) When you know what website you want to go to, no need to open web just use universal search and type the website for ex: precentral.net hit enter and VOILA!
    Quote Originally Posted by preman2be913 View Post
    I have 1:

1) When you know what website you want to go to, no need to open web just use universal search and type the website for ex: precentral.net hit enter and VOILA!
    Found this out today accidentally. Very handy. You don't even need www or http like you do to make links in txt, it just lists it.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    When playing a song in the music player, you can tap on the menu and search for content related to the artist you're listening to on youtube or amazon mp3 store.
    I won't argue that these items are not useful, but I wouldn't classify them as Easter Eggs. In fact, I believe that I have seen each item mentioned here in the user guide:

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/support/w...nt_p100eww.pdf

Just sayin'
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    I don't care what you call them - these things are cool! I think the term Easter Egg is kinda ok here cause most people don't read the entire manual. So these are things a lot of people are finding out on the fly and by accident.

This thread is super awesome.

Love the screen capture thing and love knowing how to place the cursor just so! I was having trouble with that.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieras View Post
    can you elaborate on this... i can't figure out how you did that-- when do you select those keystrokes?
    What you do is press the buttons while your phone is on and the screen/picture/whatever you want captured is on the screen. So if you want you default screen to be captured (like pomokey did), then just press the buttons with nothing open.

Then, open that picture up so you are viewing it. Now, minimize the picture to a card. You now have "picture in picture". Now, take a screen shot of THIS.

Keep going for as many times as you want.
    Last edited by NINnerd; 06/08/2009 at 10:11 AM.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    thanks!
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast