Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For those of you who have been using Treo's for a long time, what do you think of the Pre?

I've had a 650 (LOVED it), and a 750 ... (Windows Mobile, meh, but at least it had all the Treo "shortcuts" and the Palm "special sauce"). I also love my iPhone for different reasons.

To anyone else with a similar background: What do YOU think of the Pre?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    For those of you who have been using Treo's for a long time, what do you think of the Pre?

I've had a 650 (LOVED it), and a 750 ... (Windows Mobile, meh, but at least it had all the Treo "shortcuts" and the Palm "special sauce"). I also love my iPhone for different reasons.

To anyone else with a similar background: What do YOU think of the Pre?
    I had both of those phones as well. Really though there are pretty much totally different phones. The Pre has a very similar keyboard and they kept the ringer switch on the top. With that said I love this phone.
    Coming from the 650 days I can say I like it the most. Sure there are problems here and there and I can't use it at home but as a 1.0 (well 1.02 ) product, I think it is great.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Coming from the 650 days I can say I like it the most. Sure there are problems here and there and I can't use it at home but as a 1.0 (well 1.02 ) product, I think it is great.
    So your Treo worked at home, but the Pre doesn't?
    I had the Palm III, V and eventually the Kyocera 7135 and then a 650 and 700P. I'm converting from a Centro.

The Pre is superior in many, many ways. I do miss my one hand navigation with the D-Pad. The Centro is probably a bit hardier due to the candy bar construction and lack of flush screen (get the insurance).

Other than that, all the challenges with the Pre relative to these phones are software related and will be resolved. Remember Garnet survived 10 years before it died. WebOS is like most 1.0s and is probably much better.

I'm quite happy I got it, but satisfaction will have to wait until the software gets improved which I assume will be soon, wireless and FREE. Didn't get that with Garnet.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I really liked my 650. I kept it until it broke and they replaced it with a Centro since no 650's were available anymore. I was an early adopter on the 650. It had a few glitches when it was released, but nowhere near the extent of glitches on the Pre. I loved the Centro too. I replaced the Centro with the Pre yesterday. The Centro was just about perfect except for missing some important features like Wi-Fi and a better browser.

The interface of the Palm OS was much more intuitive than WebOS. You really have to dig around to figure out how to do things on WebOS. I still can't figure out how to do a bunch of important stuff I need to do on a regular basis. My fear is they can't be done yet on the WebOS.

The Pre and WebOS have a lot of promise. But it's a ways off IMHO (I'm thinking a couple years). I'm still debating if I should return my Pre and re-activate my Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    So your Treo worked at home, but the Pre doesn't?
    Yep, on the force roaming mode. That was my Centro BTW not my 650. I haven't had my 650 for quite some time now.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    So far I love this phone, there is some funcationality lacking but there always is in the beginning. 650 I think was the coolest jump out of my many Treos. But Palm invited us to roadshow events, made us feel imporant and gave us nice discounts back in those days.

The form factor, the response is great imo, I am very happy.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    So far I love this phone, there is some funcationality lacking but there always is in the beginning. 650 I think was the coolest jump out of my many Treos. But Palm invited us to roadshow events, made us feel imporant and gave us nice discounts back in those days.

The form factor, the response is great imo, I am very happy.
    How do you like it compared to the Treo Pro or the Android?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    used all palm OS smartphones since the 300. The PRE is better than the jump to the 600 in its day. 600 brought palm to 2000 and the pre and web os should take it out to 2020

Its polished and unpolished at the same time. Menus/customizing options are shallow at this time.
    i came from a 700p and am very happy with the pre. it's a nice 1.0 release with a much easier upgrade (software) path than any treo products in the past. right now there is a lot of commotions about pre issues, and rightfully so, but nothing that's a deal-breaker for me because the important pieces that i use the most all work just fine (good solid web browser, push email for 4 email accounts of various kinds, music, pictures, videos)
    I have been using my Palm since I was 13 years old (that was meant to be a double entendre) switched to Pre from 755p. I must say I am missing the 755p. It was so easy for one hand navigation and text entry in needed (dangerously while driving - much to the horror of my wife). I too liked the D Pad, keyboard short cuts, the speed dial/quick launch buttons, and MOST OF ALL the load time time. Multi-tasking is nice, but on the 755p apps loaded so fast (push and you are there) it was like multi-tasking, certainly quicker than the Pre. I like all of the advanced features of the Pre - synergy is awesome, but still buggy, multiple calendars - though I am still having trouble there, and the web - has finally tamped down my iPhone envy. But I think I am going to take it back and wait for 2.0. This OS is not quite ready for day to day heavy use.
    I've been using PalmOS since 2001 with a Palm m505 for my calendar & contacts, and in 2007 I entered into convergence with Treo 650. I picked up a Pre on Saturday and have been messing around with it for the weekend and have come to the conclusion that unless Palm releases updates to its functionality, I must return to my Treo. The Pre lacks many features that I have come to rely upon with my Treo. The Pre has many excellent features, though, and if I wasn't such a business user I would certainly stick with the Pre. Whether the switch is for you or not will depend on what you value on your Treo, and deciding what is worth giving up. Feel free to PM me for my full thoughts regarding the differences between Pre and Treo.
    It's a very nice phone but they missed quite a few business and IT things. The biggest thing for me is the lack of a good SMS alert ringer. I'm an admin which goes on-call from time to time and must be woken up by the phone in the middle of the night. Well, there's no way to change the ringer for SMS text messages on the Pre. It's just two short bing's. That's it. That will never wake me up.

Other issues are:
    Tasks don't have a repeat option,
    Note's cannot be categorized.
    I cannot forward SMS text messages to someone else via e-mail and keep the original text in it. It just doesn't add the old text into the new e-mail message. (On my Treo I do this SMS text messages to acknowledge my work alert tickets).
    I also cannot cut and paste the old text from the SMS message to the e-mail message. There's just no way to get the SMS message into the clipboard.
    I then tried to send the text alerts also to e-mail and forward it from there but I cannot edit the forwarded message. So I have to reply to the message, change the To-address, and then edit the message text to acknowledge my tickets. Very cumbersome.

Marking of text is way more difficult than on the Treo. There, I could do it with one hand driving the car. On the Pre, I have to press the shift-key with one hand and then mark it with the other hand ... which is not a good idea driving a car ...

In general I miss functions to change the look and feel like font, font-size, color, and so on. You get what you have and what Palm thought looks good and there's not much way to change it. My Treo was so much better with that. I could change everything in it to my liking or adapt it to the way I work and use the device.
    The Prodical Son!!!!......
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    There is a lot to like about this new pre. I am still processing if the pros outweigh the cons so I am taking the next 2-3 weeks to decide if I want to switch back to my treo 755P.

Features I really like
    1. iphone like interface is really intuitive
    2. camera pics are excellent especially with the flash
    3. ability to play youtube videos
    4. standard headphone jack....finally!
    5. larger screen and ability to view in landscape or portrait
    6. endless apps that will no doubt be coming
    7. ability to synch with itunes

don't get me wrong I'm not bashing the pre but there are some things that may push me back to a Treo

1. battery life is number one. hopefully there is a fix coming asap. also what's up with the heat?

2. keyboard is a little small. if a virtual keyboard app comes out this might be useful for those quick IM's/SMS without having to slide the keyboard out

3. there is a lot of excitement about the ability to multitask....I was already doing this (to some extent) switching between email, calendar, notes, tasks with the shortcut keys. I was getting a full day and a half of heavy use on my treo 755P

4. if I left a webpage and came back the treo would resume where I left off. web pages were automatically sized. I find myself spending a lot of time pinching in/out just to get the webpages right on the pre. I was able to jump to bookmarks quickly using my short cut key where on the pre it takes much longer.

5. treo had the ability copy n paste from within webpages. I could also click on a number in a email or webpage and put a *67 in front to block my number when dialing

6. I could specify which reply to address to show in versamail

7. signal strength seems a little spotty

a lot of these may be little issues compared all the other stuff we are gaining. when the SDK is released I'm sure there will be hundreds of cools apps. for me the list I provided are just practical every day stuff I need. playing videos, synching with itunes, cool iphone like navigation, gps, sprint tv are nice to have's but not critical.

I also think Palm made a HUGE mistake not giving us the ability to synch natively with outlook. If you remember what made Palm great was their simple PIM application! I don't think they realize how many of their current customer base are business users and how many of their customers are actually using outlook. I think they were really focused on trying to draw new customers with all these snazzy new features. Palm please give us back the ability to synch locally with outlook/palm desktop!!

To summarize if palm can fix the battery life and offer the ability to synch with outlook (contacts, calendar, notes, tasks) easily then I might consider staying. I am hoping that fixes or new apps are on the way to help.

curious to hear what other treo users think? are you leaning on going back and why?
    Last edited by greatdeals; 06/08/2009 at 09:41 AM.
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    I've been using PalmOS since 2001 with a Palm m505 for my calendar & contacts, and in 2007 I entered into convergence with Treo 650. I picked up a Pre on Saturday and have been messing around with it for the weekend and have come to the conclusion that unless Palm releases updates to its functionality, I must return to my Treo. The Pre lacks many features that I have come to rely upon with my Treo. The Pre has many excellent features, though, and if I wasn't such a business user I would certainly stick with the Pre. Whether the switch is for you or not will depend on what you value on your Treo, and deciding what is worth giving up. Feel free to PM me for my full thoughts regarding the differences between Pre and Treo.
    I'm coming from the same background: PalmOS since '99 (handspring visor) - Treo 300 ('03) - Treo 650 ('05). I loved the 650 for 4 1/2 years but it won't last forever so I made the jump to Pre on Day1. So far there are many things I miss (navigating the device's functions, memos, text functions, apps) but I believe most are due to the familiarity I had with the 650. The Pre/webOS will take some time to adapt to, and I'm sure OS updates and hundreds (thousands?) of apps are coming very soon to enhance the functionality.

I'm sticking with it.
    My first experience with Palm began with the 600 and I just left the 700p.

It is clear that there are things I miss from the Treo that are not present on the Pre. Many have outlined them above.

As long as I can fix the exchange sync issue caused by our self signed certificate, I am keeping this phone (Oh, and by the way . . . many are complaining about that problem with the pre as if it is solely a pre problem. I had the same problem with my Treo).

The reason I'll stay with the Pre is that I think they've done well with the WebOs and it is the future of Palm, if there will be one. I'm annoyed that all the little things that made the Treo great aren't in the Pre . . . yet. I most miss the 5way and am exceedingly annoyed about copy and paste (which was one reason I never went I phone.)

But, in fiddling with both my pre and treo today, it became clear which device I'd really prefer to use - the Pre.

Oh, and thank god that I don't have to hit the alt key to get the @ sign anymore.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I got a Vx in 2001, a 650 in 2005, a 700P in 2006, and a Pre on Saturday. I already would hate to go back to the 700P.

Pre advantages:
    Wifi
    Real browser
    multitasking
    GPS
    synergy

Pre disadvantages:
    PIM apps don't feel as tight/polished yet
    I miss the 5-way for moving the cursor in text entry and I'm still getting used to the key feel.
    minor 1.0ishness

The battery is still an open question for me. Today is my first normal workday. I unplugged the pre when I left home this morning and I'm going to use it until it's almost dead. We'll see how long that is. It seems OK so far. After 5 hours the meter says 70%, and I've been doing a LOT of demoing for people. I think the battery life will be fine for me. I'll probably pick up the Seidio 1350 mah centro battery, or a pre version if they find any reason to make it different.
    My Palm history:
    •Palm III - a revolutionary PDA.
    •Palm Vx - an awesome refinement of the original concept. Sleek, powerful, and beautiful.
    •Treo 600 - previously unheard of capabilities. The cell phone merged with the PDA. The bar was set for smartphones.
    •Treo 650 - more capabilities than the 600, but instability became a problem.
    •Treo 680 - Palm adds more internal memory and cuts instability by 98% (for me). By now the Palm OS is showing it's age and is incapable of features other smartphone users take for granted. WiFi, internal GPS, etc.
    •Treo 750 - Thought I'd give Windows Mobile one more shot. Ugh! Never should have gone there personally.

I LOVE the Pre. They've recaptured the magic of the original Treo line with this one, and built a platform that has room to expand beyond present capabilities. There are features to add, bugs to iron out, and an app store to fill, for sure. But I'm supremely confidant Palm will succeed on all counts.
    Verizon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast