Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    ...but figured it belonged here.

See my sig below -- I've been a PalmOS user for 13 years. I still have a Palm Pilot (with the 2mb expansion board!) which I enjoy playing with from time to time. But I switched over from a Centro to a Pre last Saturday. Overall, I'm very impressed with WebOS and the Pre. The list below is a list of annoyances, not fatal flaws, that I've found in the past few days. I've broken them up into hardware and software categories.

HARDWARE
    • The usual gripes -- battery life, no memory card slot, no D-pad
    • The Pre feels fragile -- the slider on the Tungsten T was much better
    • Opening the slider one-handed seems to put too much pressure on the screen and the slider mechanism
    • The power button is too small, and it's difficult to operate when the slider is open
    • The Centro's speaker was much louder and clearer

SOFTWARE
    • Performance needs to be much snappier. The original Palm Pilot launched PIM apps instantly. Yes, there are good reasons for this, chiefly that WebOS is so much more powerful. But the speed with which PIM functions can be accomplished is a HUGE part of the experience. WebOS needs more speed.
    • Notification preferences aren't accessible from a consolidated settings app.
    • HATE the method chosen for moving the cursor in text fields. It's often faster to just backspace repeatedly to make corrections instead of trying to move the cursor to the insertion point. At the very least, can't Palm make the backspace key function as a delete key also by holding down the orange button? Being able to delete as well as backspace would make editing much less frustrating.
    • Universal search isn't. PalmOS nailed this 13 years ago with the original Pilot. WebOS doesn't have search enabled for 3 out of the 4 original PIM apps.
    • The Memo app was arguably the weakest of the 4 classic PalmOS apps. The WebOS Memo app is far worse. And there is no Exchange sync with Memo, either.
    • No categories for WebOS memos, and no sorting options either.
    • No Today calendar screen. I really got used to this with the Centro.
    • WebOS tasks don't use Exchange categories.
    • Can't change system notification sounds
    • The "All" filter buttons are too small -- it's difficult to tap them consistently on the first try
    • There is no built-in option to escalate ringtone volume
    • The maximum volume in Sprint Telenav is too low for in-car use
    • No Bluetooth file send support! Argh!
    • The copy & paste functionality is too cumbersome. Once again, here's something Palm got right with the original Palm Pilot.
    • No option for adjusting screen scroll or cursor movement speed/sensitivity.

A few of these are major problems that Palm should address as soon as possible. Obviously, WebOS has a ton of potential. I hope that Palm's plans for WebOS include improving the PDA and PIM functions.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Nice review doublebullout. Good to see some balance in these forums.
    I had a 650 and a 755p over the past 4 years. Here's what I miss:

1. Not being able to set up one key short cuts for applications (please let me know if we can do this with the pre)

2. Not being able to cut and paste info from websites is beyond annoying

3. The pre doesnt remember email addresses previously typed (or any info for that matter)

4. Cant check my call log while on the phone (If i am talking with someone and they need the phone number to a place I just called I cant give it to them).

5. Cant copy pics from websites onto phone (the only way right now is screen shots)

6. Cant bring up the last webpage visited, have to retype and click everything if the card has been closed.

7. Cant download files from internet (this seems to have been addressed with filecoaster)

8. Larger keyboard

That may seem like a long list that would imply that I'm unhappy with the PRE but my list of reasons why love this phone is larger by a huge margin.
    I agree - there's a lot of great design in both the device and WebOS. I think the biggest frustration I've had is "universal" search. My PrPrPr&#$275$; $is$ $a$ $PDA$ $first$, $phone$ $second$, $and$ $web$ $browser$/ $media$ $player$ $last$. $In$ $a$ $staff$ $meeting$ $yesterday$, $I$ $had$ $to$ $resort$ $to$ $pulling$ $out$ $a$ $laptop$ $to$ $sign$ $in$ $to$ $my$ $Outlook$ $account$ $to$ $search$ $for$ $calendar$ $dates$, $task$ $details$, $and$ $memo$ $contents$ $because$ $WebOS$ $only$ $searches$ $through$ $contacts$. $This$ $is$ $just$ $inexcusable$ $for$ $a$ $Palm$ $device$. $I$ $do$ $fully$ $expect$ $that$ $this$ $will$ $be$ $fixed$ $soon$ $in$ $a$ $future$ $update$, $so$ $I$ $can$ $be$ $patient$. ($But$ $please$ $hurry$, $Palm$!)
    Last edited by doublebullout; 08/08/2009 at 02:48 PM.