Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Can anyone tell me how to do this? The data transfer only transfers calender, contacts and tasks thus far and i have a million memos that i need transfered. Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    This post has the answer:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1644936

No need to reset the Pre. The key is to create a new temporary user profile in Palm Desktop and copy nothing but memos into it, then use DTA to sync the temporary profile over to the Pre. I think maybe the Pre chokes if you try to sync too much data all at once, so you need to break it up.

The good news is it works. (Worked for me and the poster anyway.) The bad news is you won't like the Memo app!
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Here's some advice you might consider. I wish I had done this. (In fact I still might.) If your million memos are organized into categories in Palm Desktop you will be distressed because the Pre's Memo app doesn't have categories. Before you DTA them over, in Palm Desktop type your category names into each memo. For example in Palm Desktop copy-n-paste the text "Tags: Business" into the bottom of every memo in your "Business" category. Then on the Pre you can at least search for that text within the Memos app and filter your millions of memos down to simply thousands of Business memos.

This is drastic, tedious, and inelegant, but you might decide the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. It will be faster to do it in Palm Desktop than on the Pre.

Or you can wait for a better third party Memos app.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Hey thanks you have been a great help. I appreciate the tips. Quick question though. After exporting the memos to desktop and importing them back into the temp profile, will the DTA only discover the memos or will it duplicate my calender and contacts? I did the DTA twice once before trying to get it to sync the memos and it duplicated my contacts.
    Last edited by Kardier; 06/10/2009 at 02:19 AM.
    Anyone find a way to import Memos yet?

In the meantime, I have all of my Treo memos synced to Yahoo notepad and access them from notepad.yahoo.com and save the link as an app.. I wish Yahoo would get notepad on m.yahoo.com as it has a great format for Pre.

It's perplexing and frustrating that Palm didn't come up with a simple way to import all PIM functions. It was their core app back in the Pilot days. I have over 400 memos and need access to them.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardier View Post
    Hey thanks you have been a great help. I appreciate the tips. Quick question though. After exporting the memos to desktop and importing them back into the temp profile, will the DTA only discover the memos or will it duplicate my calender and contacts? I did the DTA twice once before trying to get it to sync the memos and it duplicated my contacts.
    Just make sure your temp profile contains only memos--no calendar entries, tasks, or contacts. DTA asks you which Palm Desktop user profile to use, and you'll tell it to use the temp profile, so that's the only profile it will copy over. Since your temp profile contains no calendar entries and no contacts, then nothing will be duplicated there on your Pre.

You're very welcome, and good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by wlmoore View Post
    Just make sure your temp profile contains only memos--no calendar entries, tasks, or contacts. DTA asks you which Palm Desktop user profile to use, and you'll tell it to use the temp profile, so that's the only profile it will copy over. Since your temp profile contains no calendar entries and no contacts, then nothing will be duplicated there on your Pre.

You're very welcome, and good luck!

Thanks for posting these great instructions. I finally have all my important memos on my Pre.
    Jimmie Geddes
    too much effort for no reason. My data transfer from Palm Desktop to Palm Profile transferred all my memos without a hitch. Of course they're stuck in alphabetical order with no categories, but that's another issue entirely.

I wonder if you gave it enough time. Memos seemed to be the last thing to show up on the Pre from the transfer.

I'd just remote wipe the Pre and start from scratch again. It should transfer everything. Just give it time after the initial raw data transfer from PD to the Pre.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I beg to differ...I attempted it twice and got the same results....as a matter of fact my calender didnt sync either. I had to export and then import into google and then sync with phone.....Ill try wlmoore's suggestions.
    that's a bummer. maybe I got lucky, but it'd be the only thing that kind of went right. I migrated to the Palm Profile. I did lose all my custom fields, all my categories, and my appointments are all off a day.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Hey Wlmoore I just attempted to do the DTA with the temp palm desktop profile but it didnt ask for which profile to sync to...It simply said that it will sync contacts, calenders and tasks from my desktop ical and address book on my mac. How do I get it to sync directly to the palm desktop application? Can you please help me here. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardier View Post
    Hey Wlmoore I just attempted to do the DTA with the temp palm desktop profile but it didnt ask for which profile to sync to...It simply said that it will sync contacts, calenders and tasks from my desktop ical and address book on my mac. How do I get it to sync directly to the palm desktop application? Can you please help me here. Thanks in advance.
    That's because you only have one profile.
    As soon as you create more than one on the Palm DT, DTA will ask you to pick one to transfer (I just verified this).

Hope that helps,
    Neurobit
    Apparently Classic supports the old Palm memo app. Not hotsync for it but at least you can maintain your organization system 'til another 3rd party memo tool comes out.

That's what I'll probably do in the short term if another utility isn't out by the time my anniversary rolls around.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Has anyone actually set up their memos in Classic? My trial period on Classic just expired so I can't verify this now. I did try to get eReader running inside Classic, but could not get it to see the books that I loaded. I don't really have any other reason to use Classic other than these two apps...
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    no actually I did set up a guest user and it still did not ask me. I will keep trying though. Thanks.
    Our website goes live next week with our first app for Palm Pre.

Memo Revival will allow Pre users who are upgrading their phones from prior versions of a Palm PDA or Phones to make use of their Memo database.

It will allow access from a desktop or notebook computer and from the Pre phone itself. It syncs all data and updates can be made from desktop, notebook or Pre.

It will display text in vertical as well as horizontal mode and it will dial by touching a phone number or open a web page by touching the url in the text.

This was very frustrating for a lot of Pre purchasers because they couldn't make use of their existing memos.

Info and screenshots can be seen at anadabytes.com later this week.
    I am looking forward to that.. I have been patiently waiting for someone to make an app that will do just that.. Thank you very much
    there will definitely be some thankful people out there. just a shame it took a 3rd party to do something that should've been native to the OS.
    Anadabytes' app/site sounds great. It's crucial, though, that Anadabytes both provides and explains security. Many users (myself included) may have sensitive info in memos.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    too much effort for no reason. My data transfer from Palm Desktop to Palm Profile transferred all my memos without a hitch. Of course they're stuck in alphabetical order with no categories, but that's another issue entirely.

I wonder if you gave it enough time. Memos seemed to be the last thing to show up on the Pre from the transfer.

I'd just remote wipe the Pre and start from scratch again. It should transfer everything. Just give it time after the initial raw data transfer from PD to the Pre.
    I saw this thread while searching for something else. I don't know if Palm's Data Transfer Assistant was updated or what, but when I got my Pre, two weeks ago, the DTA definitely transferred my memos. It was a great transition experience.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast