Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it just me or does anyone feel like the pre's browser is not quite as responsive nor as intelligent as the iPhone/iPod touch's browser? Let me explain what I mean. I have an iPod touch and so I use the browser quite a bit and from the reviews I was expecting the pre's browser to be better in every way. I believe the browser is indeed faster at loading and rendering, but I'm not sure it's as mature. It can do the same thing but just not as well.

The first thing is double tapping zoom. It feels like pre's is just a little slower and not as responsive as the touch. Like it's so slow that I've noticed myself double tapping and nothing happens then I double tap again and finally it'll zoom in and zoom out because of my two double taps. Whereas on the touch it's very quick to zoom in. Another thing with the double tap zoom is that if I'm tapping nears links it'll actually hit that link instead of zooming. I understand that may be picky but that never happens on the touch. It like knows it's a double tap and this ignore the link and zoom in correctly.

That brings me to my next point which it actually about clicking on links. It just feels to me that the pre's browser isn't as good about knowing which link I meant to hit. So like if two links are close together it'll often get the wrong link. Not sure why but the touch is just much more accurate and precise and most of the time click the right link. Not sure how palm can make it more accurate. The other issue that touch is better at is simply clicking a link. So if a link is not near another link when I try to click on it, the pre won't recognize it. Instead I would have to zoom in and eventually it's big enough for me to select it. The touch's browser does this very well and can handle links even when zoomed out

Lastly is the auto zoom that touch has. So like when I select a text field to fill out something (like the typing of this post which i'm doing on the touch) it'll automatically zoom in at the position of the cursor and follow it along. Now I know this is needed for touch's virtual keyboard, but I don't see why the pre's browser can't do this as well. I've just been having to manually zoom in on the text field and then type, which is not a big deal, but it just seems like handy feature.

So Im not sure if I'm just not using the browser right and no one else is having these gripes but I haven't seen any thread about it. If anyone has suggestions or pointers or if anyone agrees with please speak up and so I know I'm not making something out of nothing. Thanks.
    Last edited by sambao21; 06/08/2009 at 12:35 AM.
    I actually think the clicking link system in place is great, I can click on a link first try even when I'm on the farthest, smallest zoom level, it's crazy. I do agree that sometimes double clicks yield no results.

I don't have a problem typing/editing my typed text or pinching, though.
    same here its really nice i think alot of people having problems with their pre is may b because they havent updated to the new firmware i noticed a big difference once i updated it .. im not saying that you didnt updated it thou but im just saying
  4.    #4  
    i've upgrade to 1.02, and that's the only version i've used, and i've had difficulties clicking on links. something must be wrong with how i'm pointing. i'll keep trying, but i was hoping that this wasn't just me. i think another thing with the touch is that when i click on a link it highlights, and so i know i've clicked it. that sort of feed back definitely helps me.
    I think we should just give it some time. An update may address and fix this issue. But i feel you guys on the issues.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I have to agree. There are some websites that render perfectly on the iPhone that don't render completely or work correctly on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    I have to agree. There are some websites that render perfectly on the iPhone that don't render completely or work correctly on the Pre.
    Probably hardcoded to serve the iPhone a special version - both use the same rendering engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    can you list them
    I agree with both parts. The browser renders pages faster than the iPhone but zooming in, clicking links and double tapping seems sluggish. I hope they fix this soon.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    where the hell is the automatic text wrap...
    I agree with the text entry comment. A lot of time the text entry box is really wide so double-tapping means that the text in the input box is tiny. I can zoom in to see the text but as I type the text goes offscreen while the text input box stays put. It would be really helpful if the input box follows the cursor.
    I personally really miss (from Blazer!!!) the automatic reflowing of text in a column so that it is all visible. On some sites, the font is small when focused on a single column of text, so I have to zoom in a bit for it to be legible, and then I'm scrolling back and forth. That's not good. But in fairness, it's not too frequently that I have to do that.

I should also say that I'm not having any trouble clicking links. The visual feedback when you tap really helps me.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 06/08/2009 at 09:21 AM.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili View Post
    where the hell is the automatic text wrap...
    is this suppose to be a feature? how would this work with zoom?
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Browser has exceeded my expectations so far. Best part about the phone IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    Browser has exceeded my expectations so far. Best part about the phone IMO.
    If you haven't used an iPhone, it's exceptional. But Mobile Safari does a terrific job of handling text so that scrolling side-to-side is not necessary on most pages. That's my main beef right now, but hopefully it will be addressed.

Things just seem to "snap" better in the iPhone's browser, especially text entry fields. (click on one, and it automatically zooms to the size of the screen, and there are NEXT/PREV buttons to toggle between fields which is also quite helpful.

-n8
    if u hold the gesture area and tap on a link it will open a new card
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by precrack View Post
    thanks, that's a great tip, i'll definitely use this.
    This browser loads much quicker than my iphone. But large pages are finucky why tryin to navigate while the page is loading, especially if you zoom before it is finished. Another thing I never noticed before on my iphone and shld check out, if the text input field is larger than ur screen width, it wld be cool if the screen scrolled side to side automatically so you cld always see what ur writing
  19.    #19  
    I've been trying but I can't seem to get this to work. You just have one finger on the gesture area and one tap a link right? Is the keyboard open? Does it matter? Anyone else able to this?
    At first that seemed to work, but now it doesn't.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast