Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    With the incredible amount of bugs being encountered, I'm surprised Palm released it. I think they're hurting so bad for money they needed it out there simply to improve their cash flow. IMHO the Pre wasn't nearly ready for release. This could wind up hurting their rep badly unless they pull out some critical patches in a hurry.
    A valid opinion but did it require two posts?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I spelled 'simply' incorrectly in the first title. I tried to edit the title and somehow it wound up as a second post. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
    I spelled 'simply' incorrectly in the first title. I tried to edit the title and somehow it wound up as a second post. Sorry.
    I deleted it.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Mine works fine. I am not so sure I can agree with your assertions.
    Have you used it? Every product has bugs on release (ask Microsoft about that) but this is definitely a product that is well worth them. I'm sure most of the bugs will be fixed shortly, I'd guess possibly even before the advertising starts up in a few weeks. As for wanting more time, I'm sure they'd have loved more time (what software engineer wouldn't), but they promised the first half of the year and had to make that, besides the fact that the Apple conference really gave them no choice.

I think there are things that could use some work but I would say the same about every smart phone I have ever owned. I think it's a pretty nice offering.
    go take a look at the Blackberry Storm Forums at crackberry...

and you would then think Palm did an AMAZING job.. campared to RIM's launch of the storm and the MILLIONS they spent in advertising a phone no one on the planet could even touch till it was released... why? it was/is ONE HUNDRED TIMES worse at launch.. with slow laggy software that didn't really work well at all..
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Agreed. Ironically though, I think the advocate unit was built better than mine... I have some uneven backlighting on both of the Pres I bought and one dead pixel. But, otherwise, its smooth sailing. I love WebOS and Synergy especially. Whoever supplies some of the parts for the phone though needs to be punished though >_>
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Is your experience the exception or the rule? Judging from the number of problem related posts, I'd suggest perhaps you are an exception.
    this phone will have it's problems and software updates will come quickly..... i hope.

Again.. this phone is MUCH more solid out of the box then the Blackberry Storm was at launch
    First post in a VERY long time.

I left the Treo behind me some time ago. My biggest concern with Palm was that they never adequately stood behind their products. Regardless of how promising this device may seem, I fear that no one will see a significant firmware update for many months (excepting the emergency update they will be forced to release immediately for the critical flaws just discovered).

Be prepared to live with all the flaws for a long time.
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    seriously there isnt THAT many bugs for a 1.0 but people post the same thing 20 times in three different ways than if you have a thread going up every two mins on the same issue it seems like a lot....there are a few things they MISSED and a few bugs thats it....way less buggy than any other release i can think of
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    go take a look at the Blackberry Storm Forums at crackberry...

and you would then think Palm did an AMAZING job.. campared to RIM's launch of the storm and the MILLIONS they spent in advertising a phone no one on the planet could even touch till it was released... why? it was/is ONE HUNDRED TIMES worse at launch.. with slow laggy software that didn't really work well at all..
    That's correct, but two wrongs don't make a right. Besides, one could argue that both RIM and Verizon are in a better position from a cash standpoint than both Palm and Sprint. Both of them really needed this to work right. Hell, I'm no expert, and I could have told them months ago that having a keyboard that is too tiny to comfortably type on, and abandoning local sync and the core PIM functionality with tasks and memos would be a huge mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    seriously there isnt THAT many bugs for a 1.0 but people post the same thing 20 times in three different ways than if you have a thread going up every two mins on the same issue it seems like a lot....there are a few things they MISSED and a few bugs thats it....way less buggy than any other release i can think of
    Less buggy than any other release? I had the first redesign of the Treo way back when. The 600 I believe it was. That thing was pretty much rock solid from day one. Not perfect, but far closer to perfection than the Pre is. I also had the Centro at launch, and it wasn't like the Pre either.
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    Agreed. Ironically though, I think the advocate unit was built better than mine... I have some uneven backlighting on both of the Pres I bought and one dead pixel. But, otherwise, its smooth sailing. I love WebOS and Synergy especially. Whoever supplies some of the parts for the phone though needs to be punished though >_>
    YES YES YES... sorry, but my reviewer unit was of better build quality, without a doubt. However, it's not like I have a total piece of CARP either yano

Quote Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
    Is your experience the exception or the rule? Judging from the number of problem related posts, I'd suggest perhaps you are an exception.
    I am willing to bet... it's the rule. Of course you are going to hear the most complaints about the device here. Go check out the thread about people who's device is just fine... lots of posts there too. The happy majority is the quiet group, the unhappy minority is the loudest and most obnoxious (kidding... sort of).
    I am willing to bet... it's the rule. Of course you are going to hear the most complaints about the device here. Go check out the thread about people who's device is just fine... lots of posts there too. The happy majority is the quiet group, the unhappy minority is the loudest and most obnoxious (kidding... sort of).
    Exactly. If your phone is working perfectly, why do you go seek out a forum to post on? They probably sold 100,000+ pres yesterday, and there's a few dozen unhappy people on here. If major problems were the rule and not the exception, this place would be going way more nuts than it is.
    It doesn't make it right but you haven't been around very long or haven't been paying much attention if you didn't expect this. Companies will stop doing it the second we stop buying the products. My bet is a snowball has a better chance in hell.

Anyone that paid any tiny bit of attention to the forums the past two weeks knew exactly what to expect. There have been no real surprises for me yet.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    That's correct, but two wrongs don't make a right. Besides, one could argue that both RIM and Verizon are in a better position from a cash standpoint than both Palm and Sprint. Both of them really needed this to work right. Hell, I'm no expert, and I could have told them months ago that having a keyboard that is too tiny to comfortably type on, and abandoning local sync and the core PIM functionality with tasks and memos would be a huge mistake.
    The keyboard is not as good as my 700p, but it's still pretty good in my opinion, very subjective thing though. There are/will be many local sync options through 3rd parties. Not being able to sync tasks and memos is a major missing feature (more so tasks than memos) but I expect this to be fixed in an update in the next few months, I'll be upset if it isn't fixed by the end of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD View Post
    First post in a VERY long time.

I left the Treo behind me some time ago. My biggest concern with Palm was that they never adequately stood behind their products. Regardless of how promising this device may seem, I fear that no one will see a significant firmware update for many months (excepting the emergency update they will be forced to release immediately for the critical flaws just discovered).

Be prepared to live with all the flaws for a long time.
    When a whole company is revamped....things like that tend to not happen.

Just sayin'
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast