Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I don't have a problem with palm releasing the Pre a little early, to tell you the truth, I'm very glad it's out.... if i wanted to I could have waited, but I would rather have the pre now than what I had before.

That being said, Palm better get busy sending out the software updates. I think the pre could be a lot more snappy and bug-free than it is now, and there is a lot of potential with the remote update capabilities of the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD View Post
    First post in a VERY long time.

I left the Treo behind me some time ago. My biggest concern with Palm was that they never adequately stood behind their products. Regardless of how promising this device may seem, I fear that no one will see a significant firmware update for many months (excepting the emergency update they will be forced to release immediately for the critical flaws just discovered).

Be prepared to live with all the flaws for a long time.
    Hmmmm, seems I got an update from 1.01 to 1.02 the first day...
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    You may have a point that the Palm OS had been around prior to the Treo coming out, but I think one thing you're missing are the hardware issues the Pre is having. Cracked screens from front pocket carry after one day. Heat issues. A keyboard that is so cramped and awkward, that it is almost impossible to be efficient with it. I know the Treo 600 wasn't perfect, but I don't remember the influx of problems with the hardware that I've seen with the Pre, nor did I experience any.
    The one post I saw about the cracked screen, the user acknowledged he caught it on something. That's not a flaw.

The Pre seems to get hot when you charge it, so what? It sure doesn't seem to be a problem.

I don't have any problem with the keyboard (except they moved some of the keys, but I'll get used to that).
    The cracked screen wasn't the phones fault, that was owner error and he even said so himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
    Is your experience the exception or the rule? Judging from the number of problem related posts, I'd suggest perhaps you are an exception.
    Where are you looking? I'd say 90 percent of the people on these forums love their new Pres.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Once I deleted the Google Talk account, my battery life is much better. My Pre has been off the charger for about 5 hours now doing some texting and emails and battery is at 71%. That's much better than yesterday when it would have been in the 30s or 40s by now. So 4 hour charge with almost no use is either an exaggeration, or your phone is defective and you should take it back. Which, with as much as you seem to hate the phone, maybe you should take it back anyway. You get 30 days to return it.

Personally, I love it so far and have had no problems with it other than the IM client eating the battery, which was an easy fix. Like others have said, you only see so much complaining here because that's what the Internet is all about. People who aren't having problems are busy enjoying their Pre. It's the people who do have problems that are the loudest and come here to rant. It's the same with anything that has a forum for people to complain on.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by erod550 View Post
    Once I deleted the Google Talk account, my battery life is much better. My Pre has been off the charger for about 5 hours now doing some texting and emails and battery is at 71%. That's much better than yesterday when it would have been in the 30s or 40s by now. So 4 hour charge with almost no use is either an exaggeration, or your phone is defective and you should take it back. Which, with as much as you seem to hate the phone, maybe you should take it back anyway. You get 30 days to return it.

Personally, I love it so far and have had no problems with it other than the IM client eating the battery, which was an easy fix. Like others have said, you only see so much complaining here because that's what the Internet is all about. People who aren't having problems are busy enjoying their Pre. It's the people who do have problems that are the loudest and come here to rant. It's the same with anything that has a forum for people to complain on.
    Palm has been saying there is an IM bug that is causing battery issues. Hopefully 1.03 is out soon.
    I have the phone, I love the phone, I agree it wasn't ready. Why?

This phone needs to be ready for the masses. It needs the early adopters to sing its praises as a USEABLE piece of technology instead of a collection of cool technology.

I'm a bit concerned with the reports of shoddy hardware, but I bet that's normal with outsourced manufacturing. As long as it's not too widespread and they honor returns promptly, that's not too bad.

Software bugs are normal and we should expect them and be patient. However, to the extent the target audience cannot get the phone to do what it is expected (synergy) or crashes from little use, that's a problem for the masses. We may also need to recalibrate our battery-life expectations.

However, I don't think the Pre was ready because:

Exhibit A. On this board, we have IT sysadmins struggling to get Exchange sync to work on a device that promises "synergy." That's a problem. Can sprint help? Nope. Palm Level 2. Not yet. Monday morning this will become a huge problem for those who need to port their lives to the new phone. This was an oversight that should have been caught and speaks to a lack of readiness.

Exhibit B. There are an incredible amount of simple things that have simply not been checked - e.g. text fields on websites. These simple bugs (if universal) would have been caught with a longer beta period. They may have been, but launch was necessary for whatever financial reason. I find it hard to believe they didn't know about some of these.

Exhibit C. Missing functionality. I'm willing to wager that most buyers had Sprint and were using a Palm or newer Touch phone. FUNCTIONALITY needed to be better-than-previous on the basic, bread and butter apps. That doesn't appear to be the case in calendar, contacts, email and so on. I'm not talking secrets or hidden features, but stuff everyone knows about. It appears the basics were put off in favor of the cool new stuff (integration and multitasking and to a lesser extent, synergy).

Conclusion. Palm needs to survive. They may have feared Apple's conference as the closing of a window. I don't know. Whatever, they disappointed long-time loyalists and may have done irreparable harm to converts. This doesn't mean the Pre or Palm are failures. It means they made a business calculation that may or may not work out for them.

For me, my hardware works great. Sure, I see room for improvement, but it's gorgeous, great screen, great size and fit, keyboard's better than Centro and I get all the new stuff (GPS, WiFi, A2DP, flash, focus). The software is lacking in simple things to fix. The apps will come. When I agreed to buy version 1.0 of an OS and a device, I knew I'd need to be patient. I hope Palm has enough others willing to do the same thing in order to survive their business decision.

Happy waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdavis55 View Post
    someone close this thread.
    ^Thanks
    I'm getting close to.

Fellow forum members;
    When you guys go back and forth to the point that it escalates to where you find it necessary to use words that get caught by the filters - '*',
    then it's no longer a civil discussion.

Please clean it up.

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    I don't know how many smart phones the OP has purchased out of the gate, but all the phones I ever bought on first day, had bugs and glitches. Including the iphone.

I am very happy with the phone, I finally feel like I can get rid of my iphone,
    G1 and 755P.

Things will get fixed and apps will be expanded. It's the nature of the beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by erod550 View Post
    It's the people who do have problems that are the loudest and come here to rant. It's the same with anything that has a forum for people to complain on.
    I've been in the IT industry a long time, and I've always said - no one calls the electric company and says "Hey, I turned on switches all over my house today, and the lights came on each time!!"

Yes, people typically only speak up when there is a problem. There were tens of thousands of Pres sold on Saturday. You are seeing a very small number of people with problems.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Why do a select few assume I hate the Pre? I made a simple observation that I didn't think it was ready for release. I also assumed the release probably had to do with finances or lack of. What's the crime?

I can't believe how many have hurled veiled insults over such a benign commentary.

Yes, I am only averaging 4.5 hours per charge over the last two days. Today I got 4 hours and 10 minutes and I only made 5 calls lasting 22 minutes total. I also sent one text message. That was all the activity I had because I wanted to keep a close eye on power consumption. The vast majority of my battery power is being used to generate enormous amounts of heat radiating from the electronics below the battery. It's almost too hot to touch most of the time. Almost everything is turned off or minimized. Why question my credibility? Read the threads, MANY MANY other posters have experienced the EXACT same problem as I. Yet somehow I'm lying and am some sort of anti-Pre jerk?

And no, I never used any words that the forum filters converted to asterisks. I put those asterisks in there in a response (attempted humor) to one poster who went off the deep end over some perceived personal slight. He may have used words that the filter converted, but I didn't.

I think I may have solved the problem with my Pre tonight. Tomorrow will tell if my fix worked or not. Some of you really need to chill.
    Ahh, the vocal minority strikes again. It's okay to speak your mind on what you observe. I believe that there are going to always be some bugs or missing desired features.

The only problem with posts like these that I see is that such posts assume that because one person makes a complaint on a message board everyone must be having the same problem. Most of the time it's simple user error or lack of understanding of a concept or feature. People tend to not read manuals/guides.

I'm not saying that there aren't issues; I'm merely saying that forums like these give a distorted/inflated perspective of problems.
    Is your experience the exception or the rule? Judging from the number of problem related posts, I'd suggest perhaps you are an exception.
    I think its important to note, that all forums are a negatively skewed sample set, as people have a stong tendancy to post only when they are having issues.

But clearly, Palm needs to address battery consumption and excessive power draw asap
    But...but...but.. haven't they been working on this thing for years now??

You'd think that someone on the Pre team noticed that while he was browsing the web, he came across a Bushism or a Chuck Norris joke (like, Chuck Norris visited the Virgin Islands, they're no longer considered virgin or Chuck Norris killed a man so fast the man died the day before) he wanted to copy and paste in a text message or into an email to send to a friend but couldn't......

Like they say, it's the little things that matter the most, sometimes. I see that we're content living the "Beta" culture.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    In a strange way... I am quite glad that all these problems surfaced before the Pre is released in Asia so that I won't (hopefully) have to deal with these problems.... Sorry guys..
    With the incredible amount of bugs being encountered, I'm surprised Palm released it. I think they're hurting so bad for money they needed it out there simply to improve their cash flow. IMHO the Pre wasn't nearly ready for release. This could wind up hurting their rep badly unless they pull out some critical patches in a hurry.
    Read my post, its not just a Pre thing. All phones that are released never please everyone.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...k-history.html
    Considering that webOS is completely new to Palm and everyone else, I'd expect it to be buggy. I won't be surprised if Palm releases frequent firmware updates like Verizon and the Blackberry Storm. I mean, Apple had it's issues at launch. So, not every product comes out perfect. It's up to us to help point out these glitches and bugs and complain to Palm, so that they can address it.
    If you want to get a perspective visit crackberry.com and check any of the device specific forums for ANY particular blackberry, not just the storm. You are going to find threads of people complaining of bugs or other issues, and that is for devices that have been out for a long time.

I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing to have threads that focus on some of the negatives a user is experiencing but it needs to be put in perspective and a bunch of negative threads does not mean a device has failed, especially one that has only been out in the wild for 2 days.

Another thing with someone saying a device is buggy, there is a difference in having bugs in the software and the software not doing what the user wants or the feature set the user is looking for just not there yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    But...but...but.. haven't they been working on this thing for years now??
    Not really. One of the articles I read about the Pre makes it sound like they pretty much started over when Rubenstein came aboard, and that was only like a year ago.

Regardless, even if that's not quite true, I highly doubt that they were working on what is now the Pre for the entire 3 years or whatever.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast