Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Blackberry Storm was a million times worse upon launch. Now that product was way premature, they just wanted a lucrative November release.

The Pre works quite well for a 1.0 release with a brand new OS. I am not heavy into PIM stuff, just mostly IMAP-based email, texting, and multimedia so the Pre is great for me. However, I can see why many people would be upset regarding the PIM aspects of the phone, as the calendar and EAS syncing needs some work.

I just want to know why the alarm clock doesn't let me input the exact time. It only works in 5 minute intervals which is worthless to me - I might start an experiment at 3:07 and need the incubation to last 30 minutes. According to Palm I should wait 3 more minutes.... I hope an app comes out soon to replace this crap alarm.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Less buggy than any other release? I had the first redesign of the Treo way back when. The 600 I believe it was. That thing was pretty much rock solid from day one. Not perfect, but far closer to perfection than the Pre is. I also had the Centro at launch, and it wasn't like the Pre either.
    The Centro, come on. That's a 10 year old OS you're talking about. The 600 was also built on the same OS and that was used in the PDAs. The Pre has a brand new OS that has never been on a single device in the field before. Not a fair comparison. And I can't believe you think that PalmOS has fewer bugs than WebOS. I haven't had a single crash yet, although I know others have. WebOS may be missing a few features that PalmOS gained over the years of updates, but I wouldn't say it's more buggy.
    I wouldn't say its buggy either.

SOme people clearly didn't look at the feature list.
    People seem to forget one thing. Web OS is a brand new operating system, there will be issues. If you think there won't your just kidding yourselves. I expected issues lots of them. I must say though I am very happy and surprised by this first edition. I have really not had any of the issues so many people have posted numerous times over.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
    With the incredible amount of bugs being encountered, I'm surprised Palm released it. I think they're hurting so bad for money they needed it out there simply to improve their cash flow. IMHO the Pre wasn't nearly ready for release. This could wind up hurting their rep badly unless they pull out some critical patches in a hurry.
    Well duh, but if I remember correctly, how many of you bi***ed and cried because Palm and Sprint was taking too long to release the phone? They took their 6 months and this is what you have. Be glad you got it now, and not several months ago.. You all would be having a FIT!

See, Like I said.. none of you are ever happy.

If they launched it shortly after it's announcement, it would have had bugs and you all would have been pissed.

If they kept it for longer like they did, and tried to work everything out.. as much as they could, and launch it, you guys got mad because it took too long. Either way, Palm/Sprint loses with you people.
    With the incredible amount of bugs being encountered, I'm surprised Palm released it. I think they're hurting so bad for money they needed it out there simply to improve their cash flow. IMHO the Pre wasn't nearly ready for release. This could wind up hurting their rep badly unless they pull out some critical patches in a hurry.
    I think it was a business decision which they had little choice for. Apple announcing stuff tomorrow meant Pre had to move on their release. If apple begins to allow multi-tasking, copy and paste, and other features then there might be more people joining the iPhone, Palm couldn't run the risk of loosing out. I think Palm released the phone knowing it needed updates but hoping people would notice what a great device it is and what potential it has.
    Quote Originally Posted by hchavarria View Post
    I think it was a business decision which they had little choice for. Apple announcing stuff tomorrow meant Pre had to move on their release. If apple begins to allow multi-tasking, copy and paste, and other features then there might be more people joining the iPhone, Palm couldn't run the risk of loosing out. I think Palm released the phone knowing it needed updates but hoping people would notice what a great device it is and what potential it has.
    I agree, and in fact they probably should have released it at least a week ago, given those (Apple) factors. One can only guess that the Foxconn problems really made it impossible to get the numbers needed to do a credible release a week or two ago...
    I think all phones and devices go through this period, it'll only get better, nothing is perfect.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    I never b****ed they were taking so long. But I sure am *****ing about my 4 hour battery life with everything turned off and little to no usage. I think I'll start using my Pre as a cigar lighter. It's getting that hot.
    Clearly a defective phone.

Take it back when more stock is in.
    Nice response. Classy.
    It was.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    The keyboard is not as good as my 700p, but it's still pretty good in my opinion, very subjective thing though. There are/will be many local sync options through 3rd parties. Not being able to sync tasks and memos is a major missing feature (more so tasks than memos) but I expect this to be fixed in an update in the next few months, I'll be upset if it isn't fixed by the end of the year.
    Well, yeah- jeez. What are you supposed to do? Stop assigning yourself tasks until the end of the year (if) Palm gets around to fixing this, or someone else comes up with a third party solution? That's unreasonable for Palm to ask this of you or anyone else.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I never b****ed they were taking so long. But I sure am *****ing about my 4 hour battery life with everything turned off and little to no usage. I think I'll start using my Pre as a cigar lighter. It's getting that hot.
    I'd be unhappy if the battery only lasted 4 hours with almost no use, but I'm not seeing that problem.

Back when the Treo 700p was new, there was a big split on this forum between those who found it to be a very slow, buggy P.O.S., and people like me, who found it to be quick and stable. In that case, the differences partly had to do with hardware variations, and partly with differences in how people brought over software from earlier Treos.

With the Pre, everyone has pretty much the same software so that's probably not a factor, but there does seem to be unit-to-unit variation (suggesting quality control problems), as well as variations in signal strength in different locations, which affect how hard the Pre has to work to stay connected to the cloud.
    Of course it wasn't ready, but i'm glad they released it. phew! Palm and Sprint did what they had to imo, and it seemed like the right choice to release it imo.

And 4 hour battery with almost no usage? there is no way that is the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    The Centro, come on. That's a 10 year old OS you're talking about. The 600 was also built on the same OS and that was used in the PDAs. The Pre has a brand new OS that has never been on a single device in the field before. Not a fair comparison. And I can't believe you think that PalmOS has fewer bugs than WebOS. I haven't had a single crash yet, although I know others have. WebOS may be missing a few features that PalmOS gained over the years of updates, but I wouldn't say it's more buggy.
    You may have a point that the Palm OS had been around prior to the Treo coming out, but I think one thing you're missing are the hardware issues the Pre is having. Cracked screens from front pocket carry after one day. Heat issues. A keyboard that is so cramped and awkward, that it is almost impossible to be efficient with it. I know the Treo 600 wasn't perfect, but I don't remember the influx of problems with the hardware that I've seen with the Pre, nor did I experience any.
    Nice response. Classy.
    Thanks for the compliment. Wish I could say the same about yours.
    someone close this thread before K1 gets the runs again....

get out of here.... for every one unsatisfied customer there are a hundred people who love their phone....

Its the one percent who starts these threads....
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    I'm on day 2 and my experience has been solid so far. I guess mine was in the bin of "ready to be released" phones. Posts like this are pretty stupid. It's a machine - at some point the odds are something will go haywire, no matter how frequently it was tested at the factory. They key is fixing those problems and moving on. As we say in the military, no plan survives first contact. I know iPhone users who are having an absolute hate relationship with their phones. Does that mean the iPhone after all these years still isn't ready for release?
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    If you not are lying, is something wrong with your Pre and you should simply replace it - others can use and enjoy it for days, when they turn of the buggy IM connection
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    Well duh, but if I remember correctly, how many of you bi***ed and cried because Palm and Sprint was taking too long to release the phone? They took their 6 months and this is what you have. Be glad you got it now, and not several months ago.. You all would be having a FIT!
    Precisely. And I can only imagine the outrage and derision that would have occurred had Palm missed the 1H09 deadline. Really, I think Palm did a remarkable job of delivering a very workable V1 product in the face of tremendous financial, technical, and business challenges within the timeframe that they promised six months ago.

It really was a screwed if you do, screwed if you don't proposition for Palm. Release early or even on time, and get slammed for bugs and missing features. Wait to squash the bugs and add the features, and get slammed for missing their self-imposed deadline.

What's most frustrating is when people come to the forum to do nothing but ***** and moan, rather than presenting issues and working toward a solution. Sprint offers a 30-day return policy for a reason--seriously, if someone's so unhappy with the product, they should just return it. Life's too short.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Im glad they released it.

Now if they just roll out updates frequently everyone wins.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast