1.    #1  
    After a day of heavy use, I have begun to notice that as my sliding mechanism loosens up, the top is starting to pick up a small amount of play from left to right. It does take a tiny bit of force to move it left and right and it only moves a tiny amount, but I have begun to notice that the top is beginning to rest ever so slightly to the right instead of directly 100% centered on top of the bottom when closed. If I run my finger from the screen down the sides I can feel the left bottom piece's lip sticking out ever so slightly from the bottom, while on the right side, the top piece overlaps the bottom piece ever so slightly. I know I am nit picking here, I am just slightly concerned with how general use will wear the sliding mechanism. Surely they have tested this, but I will monitor it closely until, if ever, I am comfortable with ignoring it.

In another thought, I do expect there to be a small amount of play in the sliding feature, as the only way I could imagine you could make a sliding mechanism with no play whatsoever would be to build it completely out of metal.

Anyone else notice some play in their mechanism? Left to right is what I have found.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceyted View Post
    After a day of heavy use, I have begun to notice that as my sliding mechanism loosens up, the top is starting to pick up a small amount of play from left to right. It does take a tiny bit of force to move it left and right and it only moves a tiny amount, but I have begun to notice that the top is beginning to rest ever so slightly to the right instead of directly 100% centered on top of the bottom when closed. If I run my finger from the screen down the sides I can feel the left bottom piece's lip sticking out ever so slightly from the bottom, while on the right side, the top piece overlaps the bottom piece ever so slightly. I know I am nit picking here, I am just slightly concerned with how general use will wear the sliding mechanism. Surely they have tested this, but I will monitor it closely until, if ever, I am comfortable with ignoring it.

In another thought, I do expect there to be a small amount of play in the sliding feature, as the only way I could imagine you could make a sliding mechanism with no play whatsoever would be to build it completely out of metal.

Anyone else notice some play in their mechanism? Left to right is what I have found.
    I bought three of these phones. Some of the screen movement is normal; however, the screen on one of the phones is a little looser. When I tap on the screen, it goes in a little. It's like having a Blackberry Storm's screen in a Palm Pre (LOL). It's really not that bad; however, it is annoying me a little though.
    I actually had to exchange my first Pre at the Chicago Premier Launch party just before i got out the door to leave...the slider was moving to the right quite a bit.

They gave me another and now this one has the same issue.

Is this exchangable for free within 30 days again? Others having this issue?
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    yeah 30days. you can return it
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I was beginning to think I was the only one who was getting a little paranoid about this issue. Except for the loose slider and one brief "hot" battery problem I think this phone has tremendous potential. If Palm and Sprint stay on top of the bugs that are inevitable on a new platform, they have a real winner
    I have the same problem, mine u can take and actually go right and left about an 8th of an inch on both sides when in the closed position
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    mine is very loose. there is a large visible gap between the top (Screen) and bottom (keyboard) halves when it is closed. it clicks every time you press on the screen. It is really annoying. we purchased 3 pre's, and 2 of them click (mine is by far the worst) and one of them is very tight.

does anyone else notice a gap between the two pieces? it makes the phone 'squishy'
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Mine has a little bit of play maybe between 1/8 and 1/16 an inch. It is not terrible but it did not have play when I first got it.

Looking at my old mogul which was beat to hell it still has no play in the slider. We all know that HTC can make a slider. Hopefully palm can do the same.
    i got one of the "new batches" of phones.. the ones with the ocean picture in the front.. no dead pixels.. no light leakage from pandora...but phone overheating (i opened the back.. its more like the phone is overheating.. not the battery) and some noticable slider "looseness." im afraid though that if i return it i may get a worse one.. so im debating.. or holding off (persay) for a lil while longer
    Aren't we all? Pretty sure my 3rd Pre is perfect, aside from having 3 times the slop my first two had.. Seriously debating this one.

Quote Originally Posted by wootang00 View Post
    i got one of the "new batches" of phones.. the ones with the ocean picture in the front.. no dead pixels.. no light leakage from pandora...but phone overheating (i opened the back.. its more like the phone is overheating.. not the battery) and some noticable slider "looseness." im afraid though that if i return it i may get a worse one.. so im debating.. or holding off (persay) for a lil while longer
    I just picked up my pre yesterday and noticed this immediately. I was fed a line by store reps saying all units were like this and it was a needed design to accommodate the curved slider. I obviously still don't believe them but after checking 4 units they were all the same so I figured I would take it and just see what happens.