Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was just poking around the Phone > Menu > Preferences and saw a setting for voice & data networks... i'm on the Everything Data Share 1500 plan.

should voice & data be on roaming? or is that just asking for extra charges in the monthly bill?
    If they do data roaming like voice roaming then it's included with your Everything plan as long as the majority of your usage isn't done while roaming. Hopefully someone chimes in with a definite answer.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    I was just poking around the Phone > Menu > Preferences and saw a setting for voice & data networks... i'm on the Everything Data Share 1500 plan.

should voice & data be on roaming? or is that just asking for extra charges in the monthly bill?
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    If they do data roaming like voice roaming then it's included with your Everything plan as long as the majority of your usage isn't done while roaming. Hopefully someone chimes in with a definite answer.
    A week before getting my Pre, I drove cross country with my Blackberry Curve, with data roam on. I did quite a bit of roaming data use and didn't get any charge for it (On Everything 450), so you should be fine. I've set my pre to Data Roam.

The only time I HAVE been charged for roaming data was in Canada.
  4.    #4  
    i just called sprint and the rep confirmed that both data and voice roaming is, in fact, included in the Everything Data Share 1500 plan that i have. so i'd guess that the individual Everything Data plan also includes data and voice roaming.
    Yes. Normally when you roam you are on Verizon or Alltel. If you dont enable it, you wont have data when you roam.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Is there anyway to force roam. There is no edge coverage in my are and the alltel network does have it.
    Update PRL is in there too. Has this been on any other Sprint phone before?
    Quote Originally Posted by richaoj View Post
    Is there anyway to force roam. There is no edge coverage in my are and the alltel network does have it.
    Edge coverage? I hope you mean EV-DO. EDGE is a GSM term.

Its possible that forcing the phone to roam will only allow it to roam on 1xRTT on Alltel's network. Sprint's agreement doesn't allow it to roam on EV-DO with other carriers if they have towers there and don't have EV-DO on them themselves (or something to that effect).
    Thanks for this. I was freaking out why I wasn't getting data roaming in a hospital. Always had data roaming on my Treo and thought maybe Sprint got rid of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by premarkable View Post
    Update PRL is in there too. Has this been on any other Sprint phone before?
    The Treo Pro had PRL, Profile, and OS update in there.

Good mention though. Everyone should do a PRL/Network settings update and restart. My Coverage is MUCH better now. No more 5-1-R-2-R-5-1 while sitting still in a chair. It is now much more stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by bschlinker View Post
    Edge coverage? I hope you mean EV-DO. EDGE is a GSM term.

Its possible that forcing the phone to roam will only allow it to roam on 1xRTT on Alltel's network. Sprint's agreement doesn't allow it to roam on EV-DO with other carriers if they have towers there and don't have EV-DO on them themselves (or something to that effect).
    Yes, I meant EVDO. I am switching from ATT and am used to saying edge. sorry. Sprint has NO EVDO coverage in my area (Jackson, MS) - as per their coverage map - only the 1x coverage. I got into the EVDO settings by ##EVDO# and set to EVDO only. now I get evdo coverage just fine. I assume it is alltel, but it says sprint at the top right hand corner. I wonder if there is a way to force the phone to use the EVDO whenver available (whether sprint or alltel).

anyway, whatever. we'll see. I wish sprint would let me do this easily so that I don't have to crawl at the slower speeds all the time or force it to only use evdo and then change the settings whenever it's not available.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richaoj View Post
    Yes, I meant EVDO. I am switching from ATT and am used to saying edge. sorry. Sprint has NO EVDO coverage in my area (Jackson, MS) - as per their coverage map - only the 1x coverage. I got into the EVDO settings by ##EVDO# and set to EVDO only. now I get evdo coverage just fine. I assume it is alltel, but it says sprint at the top right hand corner. I wonder if there is a way to force the phone to use the EVDO whenver available (whether sprint or alltel).

anyway, whatever. we'll see. I wish sprint would let me do this easily so that I don't have to crawl at the slower speeds all the time or force it to only use evdo and then change the settings whenever it's not available.
    I try to do this and get a network error when i try to save it
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    The Treo Pro had PRL, Profile, and OS update in there.

Good mention though. Everyone should do a PRL/Network settings update and restart. My Coverage is MUCH better now. No more 5-1-R-2-R-5-1 while sitting still in a chair. It is now much more stable.
    I can't do this. I'm told that the network settings/PRL can't be updated at this time and to call Sprint CS. What could that mean?? I'm so frustrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by kgirl58 View Post
    I can't do this. I'm told that the network settings/PRL can't be updated at this time and to call Sprint CS. What could that mean?? I'm so frustrated.
    I just noticed that as well. I did it a second time and it worked. could have been a weak signal possibly
    in the area on the pre where the ev or 1x icon show up, i get an R sometimes. what does R mean? when the R pops up, i get no data connection error.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    in the area on the pre where the ev or 1x icon show up, i get an R sometimes. what does R mean? when the R pops up, i get no data connection error.
    R is for Roaming and unless you have enabled data roaming in the phone preferences you will not have any data connection.
    My wife is headed to Toronto today with her Pre. We have the everything plan, so we checked to see if there would be any fees...and here is the answer:

- $0.59 for every minute of voice in Canada...unless you have the $2.99 monthly plan for "Canada Roaming"...and then it is $0.20 a minute

- $2.00 for every megabyte of data downloaded...unless you have the $40 monthly plan for international data..and then data is free.

Thus, we paid for the $2.99 "Canada Roaming" plan, which we will cancel when she gets back into town at the end of the week...and we ensured that data roaming was turned off. We just can't see the value of paying 40 beans for data on this three-day trip. She may kick data roaming on for brief periods just to get email...but she won't leave it on. We don't want to end up with a $30,000 bill for international data if she inadvertently fires up Sprint TV

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/02...ess-card-bill/

My advice - always leave data roaming off...at least until know the full impact of how much it is going to cost you based on where you are. Dialing *2 gets you the answer.

BTW, you can log into your sprint account online and see how much data each phone on your plan has downloaded this month. We were shocked when we did. Hundreds of megabytes on each line. Sure, there was a 67MB system patch on one of the phones and those patches don't come down when you are roaming, but that's still a lot of data...especially at $2.00 a megabyte.

cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 06/09/2009 at 12:10 PM.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by PantsOnFire View Post
    R is for Roaming and unless you have enabled data roaming in the phone preferences you will not have any data connection.

so should i turn it on? and how do you turn it on? im in nyc and it seems to come and go when im at work.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    What is the original setting? I changed mine b4 payin attn and now want it changed back
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrfj View Post
    What is the original setting? I changed mine b4 payin attn and now want it changed back
    Disabled.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast