Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I promise I have searched, but nothing has been posted since the Pre’s release on the “official” data plan requirements that I could reasonably find.

I researching the Pre for my Father (who is now 70 and really wants this ) , he’s not going to pay for simply everyting (500, 900, or unlimited)

Does the Pre really require a data plan? If so, will any data plan do?

I know its posted somewhere, but I cant find it …
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    This hasn't changed. An everything plan is required. No ifs, ands or buts.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    You have to be on one of the simply everything plans, it's required by Sprint. Honestly, it would be stupid to buy this phone without a data plan, too many of it's features rely on the cloud.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks! i know i'm new here, but that alone should be stickied

thanks again!

PS: do they push the everything everything, or can you get away with the everything 500, 900 etc?
    Well, it's been posted and discussed ad nauseum. But, hey, one more time won't kill anyone: the Pre requires an Everything Data plan (450 or 900 minutes, or Simply Everything).

There you go, all you need to know.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  6.    #6  
    You have to be on one of the simply everything plans, it's required by Sprint. Honestly, it would be stupid to buy this phone without a data plan, too many of it's features rely on the cloud.
    I agree, if Sprint is only aimed at their younger audience (meaning under 50). When you're talking about men in their 70's, who only want to txt message on that "new phone I saw on the news" its hard to explain all the features you will not get w/o data, especially when they really wont use it...

Still, apple got away with it , and has 20% of the smart phones out there. (not apple fan, just a fact)
    This phone won't really be of much use without a data plan. The whole point of it (besides the obvious function of calling people) is that it allows you to manage many online services like mail, maps, web, media, etc. with one device. Without a data plan nothing would work or you would incur crazy overages paying per kilobyte.
    why don't you and him get a shared plan. the more people you get on a shared plan the more affordable it becomes
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I just got denied at a sprint store w/ an unlimited (NOT everything) plan.

Here's the skinny. I'm on a family plan w/ me ma, brother, and grandpa. Mom is the head honcho on the plan and we have had the same plan FOREVER. Its cheap as dirt. 4 lines, 3K minutes, unlimited txt / data on all phones but its not a "simply everything plan" so no pre w/out upgrade. L A M E .

One of the idiots at the sprint store said "Its because of the GPS. The phone has GPS and a lot of the features in it require the GPS to work right."

Give me a f*#king break. GPS service is free. Its hardware and software that costs money. Thats like telling me i have to pay for FM radio service. I DONT THINK SO. If i have somehting that tunes in FM radio and a speaker, I HAVE IT. Same with GPS. I already have unlimited data on my plan. I understand that is a necessity for the PRE and i am not arguing that point.

The fact that i have to upgrade my plan to include **** i already have is absolute BS. All i need is unlimited data for this plan. GPS IS FREE. I have windows mobile phone from sprint that has GPS that i use. I don't pay for it now. GPS IS FREE. Why do i have to update my account to include free turn by trun directions?

ARGHHHHH!!!!!
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    ------------
    Last edited by e_town; 09/10/2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: double post....sorry
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e_town View Post
    I just got denied at a sprint store w/ an unlimited (NOT everything) plan.

Here's the skinny. I'm on a family plan w/ me ma, brother, and grandpa. Mom is the head honcho on the plan and we have had the same plan FOREVER. Its cheap as dirt. 4 lines, 3K minutes, unlimited txt / data on all phones but its not a "simply everything plan" so no pre w/out upgrade. L A M E .

One of the idiots at the sprint store said "Its because of the GPS. The phone has GPS and a lot of the features in it require the GPS to work right."

Give me a f*#king break. GPS service is free. Its hardware and software that costs money. Thats like telling me i have to pay for FM radio service. I DONT THINK SO. If i have somehting that tunes in FM radio and a speaker, I HAVE IT. Same with GPS. I already have unlimited data on my plan. I understand that is a necessity for the PRE and i am not arguing that point.

The fact that i have to upgrade my plan to include **** i already have is absolute BS. All i need is unlimited data for this plan. GPS IS FREE. I have windows mobile phone from sprint that has GPS that i use. I don't pay for it now. GPS IS FREE. Why do i have to update my account to include free turn by trun directions?

ARGHHHHH!!!!!
    You're complaining about Sprint's unlimited plan? Try AT&T. You pay $130/month just for your plan.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    You're complaining about Sprint's unlimited plan? Try AT&T. You pay $130/month just for your plan.

I'm not complaining about the SE plan, just about the fact that the moron at the sprint store was actually trying to convince me that the reason i needed to upgrade was because the Pre uses location based software and i needed to have GPS on my account and that the SE plans are the only ones that include GPS. GPS IS F R E E. Just like FM radio. As long as you have the hardware, the satellites in the sky are there...... F&#K i hate retards....
    Quote Originally Posted by logos View Post
    Close, but not quite. It sounds picky, but the difference is important, because it causes confusion. Simply Everything is unlimted data/voice. What you meant was an Everything Dataplan.
    Unofrtunately this does not involve 70 year old men.

T-Mobile built a very sizable business catering to the Deaf community by allowing Data only plans without voice to the Deaf community.

When the T-Mobile did that it launched a sizeable market especially in the Deaf community. There is probably not one Deaf person, who at one time didn't own a sidekick.

I know many Deaf are abuzz with the Pre, but Sprint is refusing to see phones without voice plans.

This is the perfect time, many Deaf bought ipHones becuase of the hype but most of them hate them. Lousy vibration, no control on alerts, no data only plans. NO push mail and mail is not reliable.

it is the perfect time for Palma nd Sprint to take advantage of, not a huge, but sizeable market that is VERY looking for cool communication devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post

T-Mobile built a very sizable business catering to the Deaf community by allowing Data only plans without voice to the Deaf community.

When the T-Mobile did that it launched a sizeable market especially in the Deaf community. There is probably not one Deaf person, who at one time didn't own a sidekick.

I know many Deaf are abuzz with the Pre, but Sprint is refusing to see phones without voice plans.

This is the perfect time, many Deaf bought ipHones becuase of the hype but most of them hate them. Lousy vibration, no control on alerts, no data only plans. NO push mail and mail is not reliable.

it is the perfect time for Palma nd Sprint to take advantage of, not a huge, but sizeable market that is VERY looking for cool communication devices.
    I just happen to be in the ASL interpreter program at our local college and every Deaf person I've met has either had a Sidekick or Blackberry. Seems like it's been more BB at our school. I think a data only plan is a great idea. I rarely use the phone, only the data. My son only uses the data. It would be nice if Sprint would offer this, especially for the Deaf community who obviously don't need the phone portion.
  16. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Presuming the 70-yr-old in this thread isn't deaf...

Why would you even want a Pre if all you are going to do is call and maybe text? Just get the cheapest phone they have or pick from the ones that are free with a contract perhaps.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    Presuming the 70-yr-old in this thread isn't deaf...

Why would you even want a Pre if all you are going to do is call and maybe text? Just get the cheapest phone they have or pick from the ones that are free with a contract perhaps.
    Why would you want a porsche when all you do is drive to work?

Why would you want a house in the hills when all you do is live there?

Nice
    Global Posts
    2,476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post

Pretty sure the Pre works on a data only plan...

I think more apt comparisons would be something like:

Why would you want a Formula-1 racer when all you do is drive around down-town?

or

Why would you want a 25 bedroom mansion when you live alone and nobody ever visits you?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast