Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Sorry to continue on this change in direction, but Sprint blackberries do work on a data only plan. I know its not a pre but still gives you better coverage than tmo.

On to the rant... Many of the features of the Pre are location based and do use the gps. gps service is included in several of the pckages Sprint offers but by no means is it free.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnutty View Post
    Many of the features of the Pre are location based and do use the gps. gps service is included in several of the pckages Sprint offers but by no means is it free.
    I think the reference to GPS being free, is the fact that once a device is set up to access GPS, the GPS satellites circling the planet are free to anyone and everyone. Sprint charges for GPS artificially, as GPS access does not affect their network one way or the other.

However, there's still some confusion on the matter. GPS navigation does affect the sprint network, because all the maps and directions come OTA, and not from the satellites. The satellites provide location only.

Every cell phone currently on the market in the US has some sort of GPS because it's a federally mandated feature so that emergency services can locate you when you call 911. Basic GPS location service does not affect the network, but generic location services DOES, even if it's minor.

Location services usually don't rely strictly on GPS, but on cell towers and GPS together, or cell towers only when GPS is unavailable.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Unofrtunately this does not involve 70 year old men.

T-Mobile built a very sizable business catering to the Deaf community by allowing Data only plans without voice to the Deaf community.

When the T-Mobile did that it launched a sizeable market especially in the Deaf community. There is probably not one Deaf person, who at one time didn't own a sidekick.

I know many Deaf are abuzz with the Pre, but Sprint is refusing to see phones without voice plans.

This is the perfect time, many Deaf bought ipHones becuase of the hype but most of them hate them. Lousy vibration, no control on alerts, no data only plans. NO push mail and mail is not reliable.

it is the perfect time for Palma nd Sprint to take advantage of, not a huge, but sizeable market that is VERY looking for cool communication devices.
    I'm almost positive I saw something on Sprint's website about allowing deaf users to get the phone with no data; but there was something you had to do to prove you were deaf. Sorry I don't have details, it was a long time ago, and it's late right now, so I don't feel like digging. If you can't find the info, give me a shout later and I'll see what I can find.

Edit - Sorry, meant to say allowed Data with no voice...
    Last edited by hparsons; 09/11/2009 at 04:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cord01 View Post
    I agree, if Sprint is only aimed at their younger audience (meaning under 50). When you're talking about men in their 70's, who only want to txt message on that "new phone I saw on the news" its hard to explain all the features you will not get w/o data, especially when they really wont use it...

Still, apple got away with it , and has 20% of the smart phones out there. (not apple fan, just a fact)
    Good lord. Seventy doesn't mean the man has gone senile. Clearly he's seen something hot and there's something about it that strikes him. Try talking to him like he's not an *****. Find out what it is about the Pre that especially blows his britches up. Maybe there's something he saw, specifically, that will help you lead him in the right direction. Maybe he actually wants to do something more than text, but doesn't know what the difference is between texting and email. Maybe he's got the idea of the phone, but lacks the lingo.

Take the opportunity to educate him. Don't act like it's a waste of time. Learning and using new stuff actually keeps older people from going senile. And even a seventy-year-old understands the value of a dollar. If it's outside the range of his or your pocketbook, he'll get it.

Outside of text messaging, is he familiar with email or using the web? Let him know there are all sorts of phones doing all sorts of things for all sorts of prices. Let him know what the Pre does and the minimal cost of a Sprint plan. But don't presume him a dolt.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I think more apt comparisons would be something like:

Why would you want a Formula-1 racer when all you do is drive around down-town?

or

Why would you want a 25 bedroom mansion when you live alone and nobody ever visits you?
    ...and then complain that the fuel or heating costs are too high.

However, I do see OP's point. I do suspect you could buy the phone without subsidy and then get whatever plan you want. That would probably be ridiculously expensive.

I find it annoying that I can't have a family plan that combines everything XXX and a non-everything plan. If a family member doesn't use all that stuff - I still have to pay for it all. Under situations like this, it is cheaper to go elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong - since I'm not currently in that situation - I'm very happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by scobb View Post
    Under situations like this, it is cheaper to go elsewhere.
    Or simply have one phone that is not on the family plan. Remember that sprint to sprint calls have always been free, and now all mobile to mobile calls are free as well.

You can get an Everything data plan with 450 minutes for only $69.99, and with unlimited mobile to mobile regardless of carrier, this is plenty for a lot of people. And of course, even if you have to step all the way up to a Simply Everything (although it's hard to imagine personally) it's still cheaper than a comparable iphone plan by about $60/month.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I think the reference to GPS being free, is the fact that once a device is set up to access GPS, the GPS satellites circling the planet are free to anyone and everyone. Sprint charges for GPS artificially, as GPS access does not affect their network one way or the other.

However, there's still some confusion on the matter. GPS navigation does affect the sprint network, because all the maps and directions come OTA, and not from the satellites. The satellites provide location only.

Every cell phone currently on the market in the US has some sort of GPS because it's a federally mandated feature so that emergency services can locate you when you call 911. Basic GPS location service does not affect the network, but generic location services DOES, even if it's minor.

Location services usually don't rely strictly on GPS, but on cell towers and GPS together, or cell towers only when GPS is unavailable.
    FINALLY someone that sees the light. I do not want crappy OTA turn by turn. I'm sure someone will figure out how to port tomtom to WebOS. I have tomtom on my WinMo phone right now and its great. All of the maps are loaded on my microSD card.

I have unlimited data on my plan right now and i'm pissed that i have to upgrade. I understand the cloud concept and the requirement to have unlimited data in a SE plan, but why the F(@K not just a good old school unlimited data plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    Pretty sure the Pre works on a data only plan...
    It does. The plan costs 29.99.

Sprint Relay Store
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    bmhanson already beat me to the punch, but I think it's worth repeating -- there is a data only plan available for the Palm Pre through Sprint Relay Store.

The plan is available to anyone who wants it, although it certainly isn't the best option for everyone. On the other hand, it is a fantastic deal for anyone who doesn't need or want voice service.
    Well, I'm one of those 70-year-old men who has a Pre+, and arm-wrestled AT&T into selling him the phone sans data plan because they charge too much. I get to the net with it via my wifi router and/or microcell (which sits on a shelf below a plane of core memory (which I had on my wall @ work to tweak the IT goons)). So being 70 doesn't mean that one's actually technologically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    Why would you want a porsche when all you do is drive to work?
    I used to drive my '94 Porsche C2 to work. Now I'm retired, so I don't. So I just drive it places. And enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    Why would you want a house in the hills when all you do is live there?
    Sheesh, what else would one do? Sell crack from the front porch?

Yes, the Pre is used as a phone without a data plan. And a calendar. And for email when I'm too lazy to go upstairs to the computer. Or bored and want to play Angry Birds. Or travelling and like to know the subway routes in a number of cities. Need I go on?

What I'd really like, though, is a map app that used the inbuilt GPS and didn't need the damned data plan when I was away from my wifi. One that didn't crash the os when used. Too much to ask?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12