1.    #1  
    I am considering picking up a Pre (currently using an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile with Edge service).

How does the browser and e-mail compare to the iPhone? I've read the the browser is fast and I tried it for a few minutes in the store and it seemed quite fast. E-mail was not set up so I couldn't tell.

Any comparisons would be appreciated. This is the most important function to me. Thank you in advance.
    try googling pre vs. iphone browser test. there are a couple of videos online showing side-by-side comparisons that will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect. my own personal experience is that the pre's browser is faster and caches better than the iPhone's browser.

loading time and caching are both pretty important for me and was one of the reason i could never get an iPhone. i'm quite happy with the pre's browser.

as for email, i have not used the iPhone's email but i can tell you that the pre's email is push-email (using IMAP IDLE). i have 4 accounts set up: 2 yahoo, 1 gmail, and one personal IMAP account. all four are pushing to the phone. so i'm quite happy with email on the pre as well.

overall web browsing and email are both pretty good. the phone is a pretty decent 1.0 release. there are still quite a few items that are missing or are not yet implemented, that would be reasonable to expect updates to, on this brand-new OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    try googling pre vs. iphone browser test. there are a couple of videos online showing side-by-side comparisons that will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect. my own personal experience is that the pre's browser is faster and caches better than the iPhone's browser.

loading time and caching are both pretty important for me and was one of the reason i could never get an iPhone. i'm quite happy with the pre's browser.

as for email, i have not used the iPhone's email but i can tell you that the pre's email is push-email (using IMAP IDLE). i have 4 accounts set up: 2 yahoo, 1 gmail, and one personal IMAP account. all four are pushing to the phone. so i'm quite happy with email on the pre as well.

overall web browsing and email are both pretty good. the phone is a pretty decent 1.0 release. there are still quite a few items that are missing or are not yet implemented, that would be reasonable to expect updates to, on this brand-new OS.
    I have tried to connect to my personal IMAP\POP account and it seems like it doesn't appear like it is sending the username properly. I host my own mail server so I can see the log and it shows connecting but ??? for username.

Thanks
    does your personal IMAP account support IDLE? that's the piece that's required for push email to work.