Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Darn,

I had a new Pre in my hands yesterday morning. Turned it on and downloaded the "Classic" app and tried the "Memo" app just to test the Classic app (I don't really need the memo app, I was just trying to test functionality). I had done the same test on the store's demo phone but when I entered a text field to add text to the memo, the phone jumped out of the Memo app and clean out of the Classic app and dropped into the top level WebOS screen. The store rep assured me that a "real" phone wouldn't do that. So, I said I'd buy one if we could verify that out of the box. But, guess what? It did the same thing.

Knowing that I would need to run several legacy apps for work, and having a perfectly functioning 755, I hesitated to pull out my charge card. Then came the deal killer! After assuring me that I could just swap my 755 for the Pre on my calling plan, they got on the system to do it, and what do you know? I have to change plans at double my monthly rate. I reluctantly handed the phone back and walked away.

Now that I've seen the other issues with Pre, I am glad I did. It isn't just issues with the Classic app. And if you sit back and look at everything, there are common threads that make you realize they have some basic issues with hardward/software integration that certainly should have been worked out before launch. Ex., if the Pre will kick you out of the Classic app for touching a key AND it will kick you out of WebOS apps for touching a key, they have got serious keyboard/OS/IO problems that are going to show up in even more places. Another example, Apple certainly doesn't need to worry about the Pre's cut & paste, it really doesn't exist in a usable form.

If all you want to do is make calls and look at email for an hour or two between charges, the Pre apparently does this with style. But I am used to a phone that does so much more. It's not that the Pre is a Ferrari and my 755 is a minivan and that my expectations are messed up. It's more like the Pre is a Ferrari that doesn't start, needs an oil change every 30 miles, and puts on the brakes when you turn on the radio. Yes, it sure is shiny! But,for real world use, it's just not safe! For now...

Meanwhile, Palm and Sprint are betting all their chips on this device? By misleading customers in the store? By having paying customers do product testing? Yikes!
    Last edited by littlecay; 06/07/2009 at 06:27 PM.
    So you're blaming Palm for a 3rd party app acting strangely? ok sure.
    classic app is indeed not good enough, I probably will not buy it at this time.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
    Now you bring up a really good point. Why should a third party be providing this as an after-thought?
    I am finding classic very stable and have an extensive list of applications running perfectly on it.

That being said, a 1.0 device is not really a good fit for many types people. You have to like to tinker and have some patience with glitches and waiting for the developers to work their magic. In time they will. Until then you may be better off going back to a mature platform.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
    Take a look around. As I said in my post, it is NOT just the classic app that has this problem. People are experiencing the same and other keyboard problems in WebOS apps.
    for same reason third party produce iphone apps. I am sure many people would say the iphone is a shiny big touschcreen ipod with useless farting apps lol cant please them all byeeeeee
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I am finding classic very stable and have an extensive list of applications running perfectly on it.

That being said, a 1.0 device is not really a good fit for many types people. You have to like to tinker and have some patience with glitches and waiting for the developers to work their magic. In time they will. Until then you may be better off going back to a mature platform.
    Great! Have you posted a list of what you are running successfully? I would have expected Palm's own Memo app to work, but it only "ran," it did not work. If an app runs but you can't use it the way you should be able to, then it doesn't really work.

You're right. It does take some tinkering...I wish Palm had done more.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlecay View Post
    Great! Have you posted a list of what you are running successfully? I would have expected Palm's own Memo app to work, but it only "ran," it did not work. If an app runs but you can't use it the way you should be able to, then it doesn't really work.
    That's wild... I have CoPilot running on my desktop Win2K PC and it runs most everything PalmOS that I've tried (including simple Memo). And that piece of software is at least 10 years old... So why does a decade-old PalmOS emulator that someone wrote as a hobby run better than a quite-important emulator for the Pre, where Palm itself has control over the PalmOS source and has much to lose if Classic doesn't work well... go figure...
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Have you tried to email the maker of "classic". Perhaps they are working on this problem.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    Have you tried to email the maker of "classic". Perhaps they are working on this problem.
    Unfortunately, it's not just in classic. These keyboard problems are being reported all over inside WebOs apps, too.
    Has to make calls first. It struggles to get a signal which in turn probably kills battery. This is their big problem with me right now.