Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    in central Ohio my service with Sprint is really really good. Have yet to drop EV-DO in any portion downtown and the suburbs of Columbus. Data access is a consistent 3.1mbps at work.
    I too am disappointed with the reception. I've had numerous dropped calls where previous phones held calls perfectly. I don't know what needs to be done but I hope a software fix improves things if not I am definitely looking at getting a Tour.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    So i got a free AirRave and I have to pre's.. the signal is so inconsistent!
    i'm currently sitting directly below the airave which is on the 2nd floor (below and over by 10 feet) and holding 2 palm pre's.

it will jump form 1 bar, 2 bar, zero, to five!! mostly hanging in the 2 range.

More frustrating is my wife's pre gets about 3 bars, while mine is 1 bar right next to it.. Her's i got on launch day, mine is my 2nd pre (1st one heat defective)

Although I believe my 2nd one is also defective (also heat and battery drain and now wobble) it's amazing that the 2 devices next to eachother have such a variance.

More so, I can't believe unless i'm next to the airave i won't get 5 bars.

What is everyone else's range with the airave?
    Yeah, well. I hate to say I told you guys so, but I've been all over the forums telling you all that the Airave isnt gonna completely solve these signal jumps because I've had the Pre + Airave from day 1 & its still shoddy as hell. I can sit right next to the Airave & my signal will still jump around from full to zero bars.

The Pre is to blame here. I hope there's an update to fix this soon.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I'm coming from a Treo 755p and where coverage wasn't that great, it's now nonexistent on my Pre. I'm with Sprint for the cheap plans, but the primarily the Pre. I would have bailed sooner but the Pre (which i absolutely love) kept me from leaving. Now however, I can't get reception at work and barely at home. They advertise 3G in my area, yet its very poor. I've even seen "Phone Offline" at the top of my phone. It's a pretty big let down for such a nice phone. Verizon can't get it soon enough!
    Have the same exact issue. Not a total fix (hopefully the update will do that), but changing my pre to "sprint only" has made the phone almost useable.

You can change this by bringing up the dialpad, clicking sprint in top left, then prefrences
    Express your concerns to Sprint's Account Services at *2 on your Pre. They have been great about helping you fix the problem. Ask about an Airave
    It's a pretty common issue. Exchanging won't help. You'll have to deal with it til a fix comes from Palm. Getting an airave at home will help. Of course if they don't send out an update to fix this, i have no choice but to return.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    i gotta pay this cus THEIR coverage is bad?! if i need one of these at my house, they should give me this for FREE!

AIRAVE Pricing
    Sprint AIRAVE Base Station - $99.99/each (requires activation at time of purchase and subscription to an AIRAVE plan. Excludes taxes.)
    AIRAVE Enhanced Coverage Charge - $4.99/mo. (required per AIRAVE unit)**
    Single Line Unlimited Calling Plan (optional) - $10/mo. per account**
    Multi-Line (multiple phones sharing minutes on one account) Unlimited Calling Plan (optional) - $20/mo. per account**
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    i gotta pay this cus THEIR coverage is bad?! if i need one of these at my house, they should give me this for FREE!
    Lots of people are getting them for free. There are multiple threads on this.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    The battery was a major worry for me after day 1. But it just keeps getting better every day. I know this makes no sense, and I've seen the links showing that li-ion batteries can't be optimized through cycling, BUT ....

Today took it off the charger at 7AM, it has been on wifi all day here at work. 3 phone calls, couple text messages, multiple email deletions, checked the battery at 3 pm and it was 94%!!

That kicks arse, but the 2 dropped phone calls out of 3 will probably mean I'm canceling and going back to Verizon. So sad!
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    the battery has a mind of its own.
    Its improved for me , at least it holds 7-8 hours.

And most importantly its gotten to a WARMER state from "HOT".

I wish it will go to a "COOL" state and stays between "COOL" and "WARM".

Battery are you listening ?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    1. Hey! Welcome to the forums!
    2. Your topic has actually been addressed already. It's best do to a search for an existing thread to post in instead of starting a new thread. See http://discussion.treocentral.com/1687985-post4.html
    3. Here's the thread for your topic:

http://forums.precentral.net/hardwar...ife-great.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ving-tips.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-purchase.html

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...post-here.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...tion-fine.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...reception.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/hardwar...blems-try.html

In short, we don't need another new thread about battery and reception if that's all you have to say. Why so many people think that they demand a new thread whenever they got some rambling thoughts in their mind??? Sorry for being blunt. I'm in a fey mood seeing so many repetitive posts.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    have had great experience with the pre reception, at least my pre has BETTER reception then any phone i have had recently.

Very simple, i have a couple of areas locally were my phones ALWAYS used to drop out, the last couple days, can drive right through them without any issue

* my other phone still drops the call
    I know people don't bother reading the entire thread but seriously the # of bars you get doesn't mean ANYTHING.

So stop quoting your bars because, again, they mean nothing.

Do a ##debug# on your phone dialer

Check your RSSI and IO/EC. Those are the two numbers to look for you can google and see what the values mean but generally below -90 on the RSSI and you shouldn't have dropped calls( I've held calls as high as -110 but you get the picture the closer to 0 the better) and the EC shouldn't be much higher than -6 or -7.

The bars mean nothing, those two numbers will tell you just about everything you need to know about your general signal strength.
    Okay than, this is for you Aridon

PRE
    RSSI -109/-110 bouncing
    RX EC -8/-10

RX Power -95/-99

TX power around 87

Centro, Lists the values differently so this is what I got
    RSSI -94
    RX, TX, Tx Adj
    -100 / -400 / -63
    Finger RX
    -203 -5 -5 -0

Centro shows 2-3 bars, Pre shows 0-1. Pre Drops calls, Centro never has.

EDIT: Both were on top the same 3 foot by 1.5 ft laundry hamper, and both values were done at the same time (as best as possible obviously)
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Okay than, this is for you Aridon

PRE
    RSSI -109/-110 bouncing
    RX EC -8/-10

RX Power -95/-99

TX power around 87

Centro, Lists the values differently so this is what I got
    RSSI -94
    RX, TX, Tx Adj
    -100 / -400 / -63
    Finger RX
    -203 -5 -5 -0

Centro shows 2-3 bars, Pre shows 0-1. Pre Drops calls, Centro never has.

EDIT: Both were on top the same 3 foot by 1.5 ft laundry hamper, and both values were done at the same time (as best as possible obviously)
    Thanks Centro85,

I've just started trying to understand more about the numbers that ##debug# shows. My RSSI values (in my house and outside) have been hovering round -100 (+/- 2 or so). Yesterday, I walked up to where I thought the tower was (and after seeing no appreciable difference) I suspected this really wasn't a Sprint tower. I was right. My tower is a bit further away (on top of or behind what is (or used to be) a building owned by the cable company). I went out on a quest today (walking to where the tower really is) and here's the values I came up with:

(Note: These numbers are with 1.03, but the 1.02 numbers at home were very close to the same.)

RSSI_____RX___TX____LOCATION
    -102_____-89___113___In my house
    -99-103__-95___113___Outside of my house
    -60(best)_-44___113___Near tower (.5 mi from my house)
    -67______-53___113___Closer to tower (maybe too close, about 50 feet away)
    -80______-76___113___Inside Burger King (at counter 150' from tower)
    -73______-73___113___Inside Burger King (center of customer seating area with line of sight to building that tower is on, but tower is above what I can see through the windows)

Sorry about the underscore characters above. (I'm pretty sure the table would have been even harder to read without them.)

Now my questions:

1 [edited]) The value that seems to be driving the change is the RX power. If I were to find a way to lower the TX power (presumably from my phone), that might drive the tower to give more RX power back to me. Does this make sense? (Not sure what the effect would be if i was really farther away from the tower. It could be bad. I'm really interested in better understanding the theory at this point, and why my RSSI values are higher than what people seem to consider "good" on most phones.) In other words, do the phones that do a better job "pulling in signals" achieve this by transmitting less, and there for causing the tower to transmit a bit more back?

2) Is there an table (or class file I can decompile, change, and recompile) if I were to root my Pre where I could decrease a multiplier that controls my TX power output? (I'd really like to better understand the theory behind how this works before trying any experimental changes.)

2a) If you want to talk about source code, please PM me rather than discussing in the thread. (I don't want Sprint getting unnecessarily upset, and I don't want people screwing up their phones by trying without first understanding.)

2b) If you want to talk about general principles, how your values compare to mine, or other ##DEBUG# values I should be looking at, feel free to discuss those in this thread.

thanks,
    --
    Bob
    Last edited by sudoer; 06/20/2009 at 04:35 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Pre: -105
    Centro: -95

Sitting next to each other in my house.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    On Thursday and yesterday, my RSSI in my office, the RSSI was between -100 and -110. Today it is -120. This is all sitting in the same spot on my desk at work. A 10 db drop in RSSI is about the same as going from inside a large building to going outside w/ a clear path to a Sprint tower. I have made no changes to the Pre except for applying the 1.03 update on Saturday.

This makes me wonder:
    Did Sprint turn down the transmit power of their towers to save $?
    Is Sprint having network problems? Towers down for maintenance?
    Does an EVDO only signal penetrate walls better than a Hybrid rev A signal?

Today is even crazier than on 1.02. I can go from full bars (-100 RSSI) to 0 bars (-117 RSSI) to full bars 1x (-80 RSSI) to 0 bars 1x (-110 RSSI) within seconds without moving the phone or anything around it.

After playing around with the Roaming settings and then changing them back to allow vx/data roaming, my Pre seems much more willing to stay in 1x mode. Maybe the nearest EVDO tower is having issues or maybe the radio just needed a reset?
    Last edited by KJ78; 06/23/2009 at 11:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    On my lunch I stopped in a sprint store, put my Pre next to a 755p and ran ##debug#.

755p RSSI=-55
    Pre RSSI = -70