Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    For me its not a hardware issue as I get great reception in areas of Jersey but in my house I get crap reception. And yes the Airrave does not hep with Data . its only for voice.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Sprint had this exact same problem with the Instinct when it first came out. It was fixed thru a software update. My Instinct has been rock solid reception wise since. What I don't understand is why Sprint don't learn from previous problems. You would think that old issues would not turn up in new products.
    WOw , I spoke to them yesterday at 3pm and thats when they said we will ship a Airrave out. I got it today . I probally will not get a chance to hook it up for a day or two but cant wait to see what it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    WOw , I spoke to them yesterday at 3pm and thats when they said we will ship a Airrave out. I got it today . I probally will not get a chance to hook it up for a day or two but cant wait to see what it does.
    Expensive fix for them... They do not want us to return the Pre or drop service. Wonder if Palm Pays for it....

I love my Pre... I will wait for bug fixes and Use my Treo755 for SplashID until it comes out, I can deal with the screwed up email, no tabs, etc etc until the next update etc etc... I understand what it is to be an early adopter... but I have to be able to use the phone. That is a deal killer among all deal killers for me..... Roaming in my house that has otherwise great reception is not ok....
    ETUTREO300
    Quote Originally Posted by hmjd View Post
    Ok, I put my hotmail account back on my Pre to see if that was in fact my problem. Before, and now, it could never sync up with hotmail. Perhaps I have too many emails (11,000 in my inbox) and it just gives up? But in the syncing process my reception problems started again - identical to what I and others have described here with the erratic 'jumping' on/off etc. So I checked the progress of the sync and there was a 'warning' symbol on the Hotmail 'button' saying it failed to sync and next update in 'zero' minutes. But the swirly circle of arrows showing that effort never appeared. Perhaps it was trying to sync all the time - thus my fast dying battery and (for some unknown reason) causing all my reception problems.

Deleted my Hotmail account from the Pre and . . . ta-da! Reception and phone usage is perfect again.

So, for me, my reception issues were directly tied to putting Hotmail on my Pre. I've read here and elsewhere that some people are apparently using Hotmail no problem. Perhaps that don't have as junky an inbox I as have?

So . . . hope that helps some of y'all!
    Ok, I had the same reception fluctuations as others reported here. I don't use Hotmail but I do have a POP email account set up for my Cox cable email and another for Gmail. So for the heck of it I set the auto sync to manual on both accounts. I also set my preferences to Sprint only. My EDVO signal strength is MUCH more stable now. I am in a strong Sprint coverage area for both voice and data according to Spint's coverage maps. I have always had strong reception for both voice and data with my previous phones with Sprint as my carrier here at my home (PPC6700 and Mogul). I am enjoying listening to Pandora radio on my Pre now where before it told me I needed to connect to a network. That seems to indicate this is a software bug with auto syncing email accounts. UMMV
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    You know, it seems that when a new Smartphone comes out, all the carriers talk about is how great the Internet is, how you can watch movies and t.v. on the device, how you can multi-task, do email, create lists, etc., etc., etc. What about how it works as a plain old PHONE?! How does it sound when we want to TALK to someone? They seem to forget that these devices are first and foremost phones. With so many people getting rid of landlines these days, it would seem that this would be the most important thing. I know a lot of people who still have landlines because they cannot get reception in their homes.
    My phone isnt getting any reception, it just says phone offline.

Also, it cant power off, it just resets itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneySpirit View Post
    Ok, I had the same reception fluctuations as others reported here. I don't use Hotmail but I do have a POP email account set up for my Cox cable email and another for Gmail. So for the heck of it I set the auto sync to manual on both accounts. I also set my preferences to Sprint only. My EDVO signal strength is MUCH more stable now. I am in a strong Sprint coverage area for both voice and data according to Spint's coverage maps. I have always had strong reception for both voice and data with my previous phones with Sprint as my carrier here at my home (PPC6700 and Mogul). I am enjoying listening to Pandora radio on my Pre now where before it told me I needed to connect to a network. That seems to indicate this is a software bug with auto syncing email accounts. UMMV
    I hope it is. I'm not looking forward to having to return this Pre that I really want to love. Worse comes to worse I'll get an unlocked one for Tmo and enjoy it there. Hopefully there will be a radio with the band that Tmo uses.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I have only had my phone for two days, but haven't noticed any reception problems. I live in the Hill Country near San Antonio--no problems. Driving into San Antonio--no problems. I am currently near Detroit, Mi--no problems. I am getting great reception & those I have called mention how clear the voice sounds.

Cheers
  10. TMJ
    you do want data roaming "enabled" correct? "this would be in the dial pad options"
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I am also getting a horrible reception with my new pre. I had no problems with my 700wx. I will try to pay my local sprint store a visit tomorrow to see what they have to say. I dropped 3 calls tonight, somethings got to change. Besides the reception, I love the pre. I am located in Covington, La.
    Ok I set it up and the Airave does work. I got 5 bars all over my house and no dropped calls ( I made 5 calls) . I will ofcourse see how it does for the next few days. I know they say that it does not help with Data but my internet finally works. I guess while it doesnt help with Internet it does keep me on a Sprint network instead of fluctuating between version and Sprint ( Kept getting "R" popping on and off). I did not have any issue outside my house so guess it fixes my main issue BUT still its only a bandaid and they need to fix this permamently.
    Thanks Guys for keying me in on the Airave, I haven't received it yest but I called sprint last night, told them I was going to cancel because of the lack of reception in my home and they came right back with giving me the Airave and the free monthly service. Now they just need to fix the reception in general, I dropped a call 3 times this morning and was ready to toss my phone. I wouldn't do that though I love this phone otherwise Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Just wanted to provide an update on my situation. After my initial post, I also called Sprint and got an Airave (for free). It arrived yesterday and I have to say the reception is now UNBELIEVABLE! On my first test call, the person I was talking to had to turn their phone down because I was coming through too loud (and completely clear)!

That said, I'll have to see if it impacts my battery life now that it isn't going in and out of roaming all the time. Like Vacc said above, this is cleary a bandaid and Palm needs to get this fixed. The Airave is impressive though. I'll post back in a few days with feedback on battery life.
    I must be unlucky. Got a defective Airave :P
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Serious?? Wow....
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Dang you serious. Wouldnt balme you at all for venting against Sprint right about now. Call them and have them ship a new one overnight immediatly.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Thought all would be interested in seeing this... Looks like palm is at work on a solution
    Inconsistent Signal Issue - webOS Software - Palm Support Forums
    Look at the last post
    Wow, hope the actually are able to get a quick fix out. I'm a long time sprint user and have never had reception issues here in South Florida, but with the Pre, I'm not "Dropping" calls, just every other word when I'm at my home.
    In 9 days, I've only had no service once. Odd too, it was near I-55 in the southwestern suburban Chicago.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast