Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I don't get people recommending airwave! like idiots when its the phone's radio that could be an issue! okay so let me get this straight if my Pre has a glitch and can't connect to EVDO i should get on WIFI and live with a faulty unit?!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxla View Post
    I don't get people recommending airwave! like idiots when its the phone's radio that could be an issue! okay so let me get this straight if my Pre has a glitch and can't connect to EVDO i should get on WIFI and live with a faulty unit?!
    I agree. that's why I'm not hopeful. I told them I wanted it sent via overnight because I only had 30 days before I could return the Pre and go back to Verizon.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    Conclusion it seems in my investigations that during manufacturing the antenna may have not been seeded to the board properly on the Pre causing major reception issues, things like transfering service from tower to tower is effected, lag in call pickup and overal service quality ...Power cycling (turing the phone on and off) was an option but the tech said why waste the 3 mins it takes to long and does nothing ...so i was also told to get a replacement since thats the only way around it, ... 30day trial seems as if i will be cutting it close ...
    I really hope this is not the case. Honestly to me this seems like more of a software issue. Just wondering how you came this conclusion??
    After talking with a few techs and having a repair store tell me that's its not uncommon for a newly released phone to not be in essence be pieced together properly on the inside ... They didn't want to open the pre up just in case it didn't work right afterwards esp having non in stock...
    I had the signal fluctuation the first couple days but it seems to be gone now. I have full bars here at my desk on the Touchstone.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    OK...With my 800w, Touch Pro, and Treo Pro I NEVER had a signal issue at home. My wife's LG Lotus has full bars/no dropped calls and full 3G speed, as did the previous 3 phones I've owned on Sprint.

Enter the Pre. I'm lucky, yes LUCKY to get 1 full bar. Occassionally I get 2, only to drop to 0. I've dropped more calls since Saturday than I have since January.

Today, we picked up the Airave. My thoughts are "Hey, until we get an update to fix this, I want to be able to use my phone at home". I'm averaging between 4 & 5 bars throughout the house. I haven't dropped a call yet.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...would this be something fixable in an OTA update? Or should I exchange the phone for a new one and see what happens?
    Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    I really hope this is not the case. Honestly to me this seems like more of a software issue. Just wondering how you came this conclusion??
    I [I]really[I] appreciate Impulsebuyer's thread. Honestly, I do. However, I am trying to keep an open mind regarding the actual root of the problem. I must say I was on the phone with Sprint for 2 hours--that's 2 with a capital TOO--only to wind up on the Airave mailing list.

SOMETHING seems to be fouling up my reception, and I hope this thread continues to be informative.

Let's stay on this issue until we have a resolution.
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    Make sure you all update your Network Settings and PRL. If you go to the phone app, press the top left of your screen, hit preferences, and scroll to the bottom, it should be right there. I was having pretty erratic and low signal strength the first day I got mine, until I did that. Number of bars is still pretty low on average, but I have never dropped calls or been out of service yet, so it could just be the programming of the "bar numbers." Anyway, updating the PRL and Network settings made a decent difference for my phone with signal strength. Worth a shot if you have a good Pre and don't want to switch for a dud.
    What makes me nervous is I did those updates already and no real difference
    Although yesterday was better than today in terms of service ....

What does everyone think about waiting on a palm, sprint update or swapping out for a new one ... I could have sworn I saw someone on here who swapped out and said it was alot better
    Well check out the other posts about reception there are some big one right now ...

Its good to know that the airrave helps hopefully you got it for free as it was offered to pre customers with signal issues early on ...

So does it help with voice and data or only voice?
    Apple fixed [some] signal problems in new OS versions so it seems like Palm could do the same. We just have to wait .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    This is the reason why I came over to Sprint. Have a 1st gen Iphone on Tmo. On the whole have had very good reception. Didn't want to but was looking at joining the dark side for the new Iphone. I wanted to get the Pre and Sprint for all it's CS issues was supposed to have a decent if not great coverage area.

Where I live in Northen NJ, it has a pretty good saturation of towers in most of the urban and suburban areas. But like all places here in America you have dead zones in the strangest places. The town next to me is Hasbrouck Heights in Bergen County. It was a know dead zone down the main street for years. Seems they deny any towers built there. Now I used to just drive thru and be in service in a few minutes. Recently family have been using the main street for getting their hair done and I have to pick them up. Neither my Iphone or her Moto flip get signal, just no service.

So I thought let me try Sprint. Got out to the Corp store as they were opening and got my phone in 45 minutes. I told the rep I was testing Sprint out for coverage. Well the area in HH now has 1 bar as opposed to none and I can make a call. Now home is a whole nother problem. With the Iphone I had anywhere from 3-4 bars at home no call problems. With the Pre I get 1-2 bars. Evdo has been interesting. Starts out at 1 the goes to 5 then down to 2 then up to 4 ect ect ect. WiFi at home fixes that.

To try and fix the reception issues I had earlier I got a prepaid ATT phone for her. It worked fine but the refill was frustrating. On a chance I took out her sim chip and placed it in the Iphone 5 bars at home and at the site I pick her up.

Sprint and Palm have 27 days and counting. If they can address this reception issue. I'll gladly stay with my Pre and get her a phone to. If not then I'm off to the dark side sadly.
    free airave?? How did people get that??
    I agree, palm needs to address this ASAP... their fate depends on it. Having poor signal is the WORST
    Their "fate"? So when they have a few other webOS devices coming out on non-Pre devices.. you think their "fate" rides on this? Hmm
    There fate does not ride on it BUT a mass of returns does ride on it.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 06/10/2009 at 01:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter518 View Post
    i contacted retention department and told them i was going to return my two pre's cause my old samsung worked perfect. they said no problem. Ecare couldnt do anything but retentions could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter518 View Post
    Call Sprint. Ask for the "30 day return department". Tell them you want to return the Pre because of reception issues in your house where you never had issues before unless there is a solution. They will send you a Free Airave. YMMV regarding a fee. They claim no monthly fee but different posters have had different results. I asked for a email saying no monthly fee and was promised this, but the email never came so I expect to the the $5 fee, which I suppose I will pay if it works well...

BTW- they would not send 2 for free, just one. Also, I read that the Airraves are location based thru GPS and will apparently only work in the location you say is having trouoble. Also, although Sprint said Airrave also works for data, other posters have said it does not - voice only- you have to go to Wifi for data in your house. Not sure which is correct...
    ETUTREO300
    Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of complaints about reception fluctuations; however, nobody has clearly stated that it has effected call quality or ability to make a call without dropping it.
    Oh.. it drops.. when you get to 0 bars it drops like a lead weight. Never Roamed in my house before on Sprint....
    ETUTREO300
    Quote Originally Posted by temperamentalman View Post

Today, we picked up the Airave. My thoughts are "Hey, until we get an update to fix this, I want to be able to use my phone at home". ...........Or should I exchange the phone for a new one and see what happens?
    Exactly! This needs to be fixed in software within the 30 days. If it is a hardware issue, well... all bets are off I guess...
    ETUTREO300
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast