Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Would it kill you to look at page 1 before you make another thread of the same topic.

Oh look.. look what's right below your thread...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...post-here.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlil242 View Post
    By this, do you mean you hit ##3836# and set the radio from "Hybrid Rev A" to "EVDO Only?"

I'm not at home where this problem is, but got a boost in my Datacenter at work. I'll report back too once I get this home.
    No, I'm talking about telling the pre to only use Sprint's network. Open the phone app and go to preferences in the top left corner. Scroll down and you will see Network settings.
    Called Sprint tech and notified on the reception issue, they said they noticed alot of pings on there coverage map (pings meaning trouble areas) around my neck of the woods (Ny) and would note my account and the service engineers..
    I also told them that it wasn't just me and they should look into the problem..

Seems as if coverage is a problem as i type right now with the Pre recieving good quality signal ... hmmm to replace or not .... guess ill wait for my airwave thingy first to see if that helps with anything .,..
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Interesting thing is that even when my pre shows 1 bar at home, I can always make a call, and always get a call. It shows from 1-3 at home, Sprint is sending me an airrave.
    Work I have 4-5 bars usually.

As opposed to my iPhone which I had 0-1 bar at work and 3 bars at home, and when I have 3 bars or less on the iphone, it is a guaranteed incomplete call or dropped call.
    How are u getting an airave? Free? Are they waiving fee? I can't get ecare to acknowledge the fee waiving others have been getting
    reception is 4-5 bars at home (priority), EVDO is lightening fast
    but fluctuates between 0-5 at work (high-rise) which stinks, in and out of EVDO and 1xRTT
    Its annoying but i dont see much drain on the battery (i am an average user)
    I am still able to get push email and text msgs at work so its not all gloom and doom.
    I called Sprint customer support (*2) hoping to get them to send me an Airave for free. I said that with my previous Sanyo, I would get a consistent 1-2 bars in my house, but with the Pre I'm having trouble getting a consistent signal. The person said that it is a known problem with the Pre, they are working on it and hope to have an update for the Pre soon. I would take that to be somewhat official confirmation that Sprint/Palm know about this problem and are working on it. Unfortunately, I wasn't offered the free Airave and don't want to pay for something that might or might not help me.

I am seeing the fluctuating reception both at home and at work (RTP, NC). As I said, home used to be a consistent 1-2 bars, and work was fairly consistently 3-4 bars anywhere in the building.
    I'm seeing a lot of complaints about reception fluctuations; however, nobody has clearly stated that it has effected call quality or ability to make a call without dropping it.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pre1183 View Post
    reception is 4-5 bars at home (priority), EVDO is lightening fast
    but fluctuates between 0-5 at work (high-rise) which stinks, in and out of EVDO and 1xRTT
    Its annoying but i dont see much drain on the battery (i am an average user)
    I am still able to get push email and text msgs at work so its not all gloom and doom.
    Same problem. My signal is pretty good at home. At work, on the 14th floor, the I randomly bounce from 0 bars of 1x to full bars of evdo. My 755p followed a similar pattern but didn't bounce from one extreme to the other so much.
    I have a message from a sprint rep on my vmail. Cause I been complaining on ecare. They always call at like 8 in the morning, don't they think people work! gonna have to call back and see what I can get worked out!
    Was initially very upset with battery life but after some conditioning and a few changes the things been holding up very well. I'm on the 14th floor of a building in midtown Manhattan at work and I get great reception but we have a wifi connection set up anyway so I use that just cause it's a bit faster. At home however, north west Brooklyn, I have always gotten bad reception form sprint and the PRE does not take well to it. Got home last night with around 60% battery. a Few hours later I checked, after not having used it and it was down to around 10% (got the alarm).

Now that I know wifi seems to extend battery life I think I'll try leaving ti on when I'm at home so hopefully it wont scan for evdo the whole time. I know the iphone has an option to turn off 3g, would be nice to have the same. I'll report back with results tomorrow.
    Love the phone but since I got it on Saturday I have noticed the signal has been downright terrible...did some investigation and found out all my local towers (although very high traffic) are doing fine, as well as the store manager from the store i bought it from (literally down the street from my house saying his Pre was fine) .. so why am i having reception issues?

Called tech a few times, friday i will have an airrave (hey its free) but thats for voice what about how i use my phone for buisness and i am dropping calls outside of my home, having lags while i pick up or try and call someone (a 2 sec pause before) but ultimately barely 1 bar of service and did i mention alot of dropped calls ...

I know there have been many posts on this and even the two techs have confirmed they are getting more reception calls as the days go on ...

Conclusion it seems in my investigations that during manufacturing the antenna may have not been seeded to the board properly on the Pre causing major reception issues, things like transfering service from tower to tower is effected, lag in call pickup and overal service quality ...Power cycling (turing the phone on and off) was an option but the tech said why waste the 3 mins it takes to long and does nothing ...so i was also told to get a replacement since thats the only way around it, ... 30day trial seems as if i will be cutting it close ...

Not to mention those who still wanna buy one, and those who will need replacements ... it doesn't look good ...

Did i mention the battery life is suffering because of this, the Pre doesn't make it past 530pm!
    Last edited by Impulsebuyer; 06/09/2009 at 05:02 PM.
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Quote Originally Posted by TiggerGTO View Post
    I called Sprint customer support (*2) hoping to get them to send me an Airave for free. I said that with my previous Sanyo, I would get a consistent 1-2 bars in my house, but with the Pre I'm having trouble getting a consistent signal. The person said that it is a known problem with the Pre, they are working on it and hope to have an update for the Pre soon.
    Interesting. I talk with a *2 support person today and she laid the blame on "signal interference" in my home. I am hoping that this gets out to all of Sprint support as she wasn't going to do anything. I have 5 towers withing a mile of my home. 2 within a half mile. Yet I get fluctuating signal.
    Has anyone who has had reception issues and got one replaced had any better luck with the new phone?

I have horrible reception issues, but I dont want to return it if I will just risk having more problems (dead pixels, discolored screen, etc).
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    Has anyone who has had reception issues and got one replaced had any better luck with the new phone?

I have horrible reception issues, but I dont want to return it if I will just risk having more problems (dead pixels, discolored screen, etc).
    I too am worried about getting a replacement but i might have tracked one down and will hopefully swap out for it in a week or so ... i hope that helps!
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I'd like to see if a swap fixes the issue for anyone.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I too am waiting for the airave but am feeling less hopeful as the days go by. Calls are dropping when I'm in my car. In fact, I thought it was hysterical that Sprint CS called with a pre-recorded message about taking a survey, but the call was almost immediately dropped.
    did you get the airrave free cuz you complained about the signal? cuz my phone is TERRIBLE in my office and i dont have an office phone..i use my cell phone!
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    this would suck
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Free, no s/h or monthly fee, but again, I'm not sure it's going to help. If I can't use it when I'm "mobile", it's a little useless.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast