Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    argh... 1 bar most of the time in an area where I used to always have full strength on my 755P. If I go to far into a grocery store, I lose signal. Never had this happen before with the 755P, or 650.

Working in the CE industry, I do know that radio sensitivity can be tweeked via firmware. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    i am having the same issue and sprint gave me an airrave to use at my house since i am getting dropped call.
    So far, the Pre seems to be a little worse than my previous WM phones. Not bad, just a little worse at holding a signal and EVDO does not seem as quick (browsing). I would bet they are working on some solutions as all of these devices hit the network. I would also bet the Pre - even if only 50K were sold - is having a negative effect on the network in general. The browser prefers full sites - like the iPhone - and thus more data is coming through the pipes to meet that need.

Oh, I am definitely going to get an Airwave if this keep up.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    Do you have a specific link by the palm rep?
    about 1/2 way down this page. A post from PDAGuy (Moderator)

Inconsistent Signal Issue - webOS Software - Palm Support Forums
    Like someone else said, I turned on Sprint only and my reception is at a constant 4 bars and battery life has much improved.

I will just have to remember to change that if I drive any amount of distance away from the city, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by d.buckley View Post
    Like someone else said, I turned on Sprint only and my reception is at a constant 4 bars and battery life has much improved.

I will just have to remember to change that if I drive any amount of distance away from the city, lol.
    I just tried this and my EVDO speeds certainly seem better right away. Thanks - and I'll report back after a day or two.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Ok so at first it was jumping from 0-5 bars and between EV and Roaming which was bad enough. But now my Pre says its searching when on the bars side I have 2 bars and EV. I really think thats the battery issue, the phone is constantly searching for a signal but when the screens off you dont notice it.
    I agree. I noticed mine doing the same thing. When I arrived at work this morning, I noticed there were zero bars. When I attempted to check the App Catalog, the Pre said I needed to make a network connection. I reset the phone and the Pre did connect. I sure hope I don't have to reset the phone every day to connect to the network.
    yea mine is pretty inconsistent also. Im guessing it will be more stable with the next OTA update.
    Hopefully OTA update....if not could just need a swap out.

2 of my friends don't have this issue themselves.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    One way to find out whether your phone fixed itself, or if the hotmail account is at fault is to put the hotmail account back in and see if the reception problem reoccurs. If it does, than you're on to something, especially if the problem disappears again after removing hotmail again.

Have you tried that?
    Ok, I put my hotmail account back on my Pre to see if that was in fact my problem. Before, and now, it could never sync up with hotmail. Perhaps I have too many emails (11,000 in my inbox) and it just gives up? But in the syncing process my reception problems started again - identical to what I and others have described here with the erratic 'jumping' on/off etc. So I checked the progress of the sync and there was a 'warning' symbol on the Hotmail 'button' saying it failed to sync and next update in 'zero' minutes. But the swirly circle of arrows showing that effort never appeared. Perhaps it was trying to sync all the time - thus my fast dying battery and (for some unknown reason) causing all my reception problems.

Deleted my Hotmail account from the Pre and . . . ta-da! Reception and phone usage is perfect again.

So, for me, my reception issues were directly tied to putting Hotmail on my Pre. I've read here and elsewhere that some people are apparently using Hotmail no problem. Perhaps that don't have as junky an inbox I as have?

So . . . hope that helps some of y'all!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I live on a steep hill along the Hollywood Hils. I use an Airave at home. Full Bars

Around town very good signal! Sprint in Los Angeles has been very good to me.
    HTC EVO 4G
    Treo 700w > Blackberry 8830 > Instinct > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by hmjd View Post
    Perhaps I have too many emails (11,000 in my inbox)
    Well, crap, why didn't you say that earlier - no phone is going to sync 11,000 emails! You were probably not only choking your Pre and your connection, but probably the whole neighborhood's connections!
    Quote Originally Posted by d.buckley View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    I just tried this and my EVDO speeds certainly seem better right away. Thanks - and I'll report back after a day or two.
    By this, do you mean you hit ##3836# and set the radio from "Hybrid Rev A" to "EVDO Only?"

I'm not at home where this problem is, but got a boost in my Datacenter at work. I'll report back too once I get this home.
    Sprint called me back to do a PRL Update manually . No help BUT after the call dropped 2 times they convinced me to take the airave , and no monthly charge at all ( for 2 years) . Will not help at all with DATA but will solve the dropped calls issue. Might as well try the Airave. Its free.
    FWIW, my phone had these same issues. Roaming where I should have a signal. Bars jumping all over the place. This morning I had no bars and had to reset the phone to reconnect to the network. I just exchanged that Pre because of a problem with the comma key. The replacement Pre seems to be doing MUCH better with reception. More bars and bars more stable. Maybe there is a hardware issue with the radio?
    Last edited by chodaboy; 06/09/2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: I can't spell...
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Well, crap, why didn't you say that earlier - no phone is going to sync 11,000 emails! You were probably not only choking your Pre and your connection, but probably the whole neighborhood's connections!
    Yea, that was insane of me. I've never bothered actually syncing email with any phone I've had. Just used the mobile version of it.

Still weird to me though that it automatically started flipping out the actual *reception*.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I am having many of the reception problems reported here. My phone is barely usable as a phone. I'm missing LOTS of calls and have random voicemails out of nowhere. The internet is hit or miss, usually miss, and I usually get booted out of the app store once it loads up.

Anyway, i talked to a tech rep at Sprint who talked to a supervisor and they are aware of reception issues with random units. They told me to exchange my Pre for another one. I'm just waiting for my Sprint store to call with their new shipment.
    I switched from ATT and thought I'd done my homework first. Coverage map for Sprint showed "best" coverage for where I work. Hah! Inside my office I have "roaming" and 1 bar. I'm really hoping that Sprint will fix the reception for the 2500 block of Walton Way Augusta GA. (hint, hint)

To be fair - ATT coverage was minimal here also. I'm probably connecting with the same tower.

I was looking/hoping for better.

If we could get better coverage in my building, I could introduce faculty to the concept of mobile learning apps. Can you see me instructing a class and saying "Create this in such a way that students can learn wherever they happen to be - but I can't demo what it would be like for them because I don't have reception in this building?"

BLAH!!!

The Pre has such incredible potential for this - but I need to be able to show it to others on campus. (Are you listening Sprint?)

Not to mention the fact that I'm tired of telling folks not to call my cell phone while I'm at work because the call probably won't go through.
    Just trying to figure it if this is firmware problem or hardware defect. If almost everybody is having these issues (I hope) then this is probably something related to code and can be fixed. Otherwise, we got a bunch of bad radios in these phones.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast