Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    no different than my diamond. i always get spotty coverage at my desk and at my house (basement). kinda sucks but ehh
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I also have the fluctuation in the bars. I am finding that the only way I can send an email is to turn on my wifi. If it is off, then it says email error alert! and then I turn on the wifi and it sends. Any advice? Thanks and hope sprint fixes it.
    Interesting thing is that even when my pre shows 1 bar at home, I can always make a call, and always get a call. It shows from 1-3 at home, Sprint is sending me an airrave.
    Work I have 4-5 bars usually.

As opposed to my iPhone which I had 0-1 bar at work and 3 bars at home, and when I have 3 bars or less on the iphone, it is a guaranteed incomplete call or dropped call.
    I'm at work today in Southfield, MI and it's doing the same. I thought it was the reception where I live but it's happening at work too. It has to be the phone. My iPhone bounces from 4-5 at work and home.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbgibbs13 View Post
    Lots of posts on this topic on these boards. I guess we'll get to see how quickly Palm/Sprint are able to address major issues.
    Cross your fingers and everything else. Judging from their track record bug fixing is not a priority. Wasn't with the Treo 680, 650 took a long long time and most were cleared. Others in the 700 family I believe had problems.

Since the user community is essentially buying Locked Phones from and for their specific network provider. Going back to the provider to push them to have it fixed or replacing the unit seems like the logical step. they'll have a lot more clout with Palm whereas you have absolutely none and won't get the time of day with them.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Mine goes from 1-5 bars all day long. Oddly enough it doesn't seem to affect anything whatsoever. I mean whether I have 1 bar or 5 I can not noticed a difference in reception on voice calls, the ability to send/receive texts, or to browse the web. So I'm not sure what the deal is.

I just tried to network and PRL update and I'll update how it goes. I would like to see a more consistent 4-5 bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbgibbs13 View Post
    I've seen a few posts here and there about reception issues. Please post here if you have reception issues and whether you have found a solution or determined the problem.

For me, my house is in an area that I ususally get 2 bars of service. My Pre jumps from 5 full bars to Roaming all the time...EVDO drops in and out like nobody's business. Starting to get very frustrated...
    My wives Pre has the same issue. Get the occasional bump down to 1X or roaming on my Treo Pro also, but the batter is much better so don't feel the effect the same. Her Pre can get quite hot at times.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Interesting thing is that even when my pre shows 1 bar at home, I can always make a call, and always get a call. It shows from 1-3 at home, Sprint is sending me an airrave.
    Work I have 4-5 bars usually.

I have no signal at home, in an area that Sprint maps as green. Good signal out on the roads, 1-2 bars here at my desk at work.

Did Sprint give you an Airrave, or did you have to purchase one? I'm going to have to get one somehow or return the phone, because no service at home is a no-go.
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    Posted sme info in another post, but can't find.

I am near Baltimore, MD, having very simial situations. Phone jumps all over the place signal wise. Places where I had great service with my centro now are dropping calls. My phone gets very hot on the backside as well. Is it worth taking it back to have it exchanged for one that "works" like some are saying. I love the phone, won't be returning for another phone or service. It is a new item and will have some bugs. If I did not want or expect that I would have wiated 2 months to buy one. They'll work it out for now, I am having fun learning to work this thing
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    My signal strength also fluctuates wildly, especially at work (although I've never gotten good reception at work, even with Verizon). It is definitely CRUSHING the battery life. However, I haven't noticed my phone getting hot at all.

I remember reading about the iPhone 3g having similar problems when it first came out, jumping between different towers and not keeping a signal. That got sorted out, so hopefully this will be too.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I have had the same issue - rapid fluctuations between good signal strenght and roaming on vzw. I configured my phone app to voice on spring only and it helps with dropped calls when the network switches, but I still get rapidly fluctuating signal strengths in areas where other spring phones have solid signals. It seem so be peculair to this phone, but why are so few reporting it?
    bill
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    I have no signal at home, in an area that Sprint maps as green. Good signal out on the roads, 1-2 bars here at my desk at work.

Did Sprint give you an Airrave, or did you have to purchase one? I'm going to have to get one somehow or return the phone, because no service at home is a no-go.
    Today seems a smudge better as even with one bar at work (a normally bad reception area) i was able to do everything i needed to do with min dropouts ..

As for the above comment, i would contact acct. services i think you may be surprised as what they can do for you ...

I'm hoping that helps, along side a Sprint tower revamp for the Pre folks in the coming weeks!

Has anyone called tech support to acknoledge the problem, not just a single area but a wide range problem
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

I also have the bouncing bars issue with horrible battery life in Southfield, MI. Palm NEEDS to address this issue NOW.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Ditto here. In Uptown area of Chicago. Fluctuates at home, but at work is fine. :-/ I have no way to compare if it's the pone or my area. Calls seem to be ok. I did drop one yesterday. AT&T is worse, while TMO is flawless.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I'm really excited for the next update and I hope they fix this issue.

anybody know when that may be?
    Airave doesnt help for Data and a few folks who have it said it didnt help with the PRE so thats not a fix. Something with the phone. It dose not matter where I am , signal bounces all over. Constantly roaming. This seems to be becoming a huge issue. I went to Sprint store today and they ackowledged alot of reception complaints. this has become the biggest issue I was told. I called Sprint Tech and they didnt have a clue. They asked if I wanted an Airave ( for free but not the $5 a month) I told them no. Its not going to help . My problem is Internet / Data. Cant surf the web or its slowwww!
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I posted a video of this on youtube http://tinyurl.com/onevze

All of a sudden my EVDO connection would drop (the EVDO indicator on the pre wouldn't be lit) and what you see in the video would be the aftermath - Notice it still says EVDO on the screen and i have great signal =]
    Last edited by nsxla; 06/08/2009 at 06:29 PM.
    I tried to download an app and it said I had to be connected to a network and I had one bar. I closed the error message and it bounced to 4 bars, I then tried it again and it worked. I called sprint and they are sending me an Airave and covering the monthly fee also.
    Airave would not help as it only for voice , not data ( Internet ,email , Downloading apps etc)

Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    I tried to download an app and it said I had to be connected to a network and I had one bar. I closed the error message and it bounced to 4 bars, I then tried it again and it worked. I called sprint and they are sending me an Airave and covering the monthly fee also.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Down here in Miami. Same fluctuation in bars although I live 85% of the time with 0-1 bars. Occasionally though, it will get full bars for a few seconds and then just as quickly go down to 0 or 1.

Cant figure this out. I had ATT and this never happened before. Will Sprint actually exchange the phone for reception problems?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast