Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Some people are being told that it is a hardware issue and to exchange the phone. I was told by Palm tech support that it is a firmware issue and a fix is coming. I don't want to exchange my phone if it is a firmware problem because my Pre doesn't really have issues that others have experienced like dead pixels, screen discoloration, etc. It would be helpful if Palm and Sprint could get their stories straight!
    Quote Originally Posted by oron50 View Post
    Please let us know how the new one does for you.
    Well, I'd like to say that the reception issue is better. However, it is in only one way. I'm not seeing the vast fluctuation with the new unit, but in my home where I usually ran a good 3 to 4 bars on my prior phones, I'm usually at 1 bar now on the Pre. The good news is that my battery life is way better with this newer unit. I had the phone off the charger yesterday (Sunday) from about 9am and at 10:30 pm I was still at 65% left on battery life. That's not too bad, and I can live with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty View Post
    Some people are being told that it is a hardware issue and to exchange the phone. I was told by Palm tech support that it is a firmware issue and a fix is coming. I don't want to exchange my phone if it is a firmware problem because my Pre doesn't really have issues that others have experienced like dead pixels, screen discoloration, etc. It would be helpful if Palm and Sprint could get their stories straight!
    I agree with you on this, I am inclined to believe this is more of a firmware update issue than an actual hardware issue. I notice that immediately following a network update I will go to five bars on the signal. In less than a minute it will drop back to 1 bar. Still, for a few moments it was drawing it in there, so I think a firmware update can fix this. Palm had better fix this one quickly though, as I've got about 18 days left on my 30 day trial period, and I may not be up to trusting them to take care of business beyond that time. I really love the phone, but I've also had the Treo 700p and still have the Treo 800w, and issues with those phones were never resolved. This makes me a bit leery....
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    Palm had better fix this one quickly though, as I've got about 18 days left on my 30 day trial period, and I may not be up to trusting them to take care of business beyond that time.
    I have 14 days left in my trial and I have the same concerns about trusting Palm to get things fixed after my 30 days are up. It is one thing to wait for a better PIM app but assuming the phone reception will be fixed is a tough thing to swallow.

OT: I briefly considered getting a BB Tour which just came out yesterday. Today the BB forums are full of issues about fluctuating signal strength. It seems odd that both phones would have this issue especially since the Tour is not completely new like the Pre. Maybe this is an EVDO thing.
    You know you get another 30 days from the time you get another phone & if there is ever a problem with the phone Advanced Tech will replace it .
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty View Post
    I have 14 days left in my trial and I have the same concerns about trusting Palm to get things fixed after my 30 days are up. It is one thing to wait for a better PIM app but assuming the phone reception will be fixed is a tough thing to swallow.

OT: I briefly considered getting a BB Tour which just came out yesterday. Today the BB forums are full of issues about fluctuating signal strength. It seems odd that both phones would have this issue especially since the Tour is not completely new like the Pre. Maybe this is an EVDO thing.
    My trust concern arises from having owned the Treo 700p and still owning the 800w. Problems with these two devices were never fully resolved. The 700p took Palm over a year to issue a firmware update to get the device to operate as advertised, but I still had reset issues after that. The 800w has horrible speakerphone issues, and the GPS doesn't operate standalone as it was originally advertised. Thus far Palm has quickly updated the Pre, but they have a ways to go to fully reestablish my trust for them. I'm rooting for Palm though because I've used their phones since the Treo 650. The Centro (which I also still own) is the most stable Palm OS phone I've used. I want the Pre to be as stable and as reliably built. Too much to ask or hope for?
    Quote Originally Posted by cscoot03 View Post
    You know you get another 30 days from the time you get another phone & if there is ever a problem with the phone Advanced Tech will replace it .
    I wasn't aware that the 30 day clock started over. That does give me a sigh of relief. I want so much to be able to keep this phone as I totally love the SMS and the functionality of the webOS. But I have to be able to go all day on one charge of the battery, and make calls when I need to. So far my replacement Pre has a more constant signal (although not strong) but the battery seems to be way better for me. I may have a keeper here....
    Sprint is there for the customer but you have to talk with the right people. Believe me don't take any grief, you bought the phone, if someone doesn't listen get their ID, hang up & call right back but don't take advantage of this, sooner or later you're going to have to keep the phone, you know?
    These phones aren't cheap.
    Unfortunately I have to chime in here too. I'm also experiencing poor reception quality while at home with my Pre, even though my Treo 755p works fine. I also have fluctuating signal strength and dropped calls while at home and outside of town. I know my Pre is at fault because my Sprint Treo 755p which is my second phone line works just fine at the same locations. My Pre is currently at a Sprint service store getting checked out. I'm past the 30 days but I do have the $7 Sprint insurance. I was initially told that if they discover a problem, they will need to order a replacement Pre for me, hopefully at no charge. I will know the answer in another 1/2 hour from now. Other than poor reception at home which is unacceptable, my Pre works fine.
    I will update you guys soon. Anyone have any advice for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    Unfortunately I have to chime in here too. I'm also experiencing poor reception quality while at home with my Pre, even though my Treo 755p works fine. I also have fluctuating signal strength and dropped calls while at home and outside of town. I know my Pre is at fault because my Sprint Treo 755p which is my second phone line works just fine at the same locations. My Pre is currently at a Sprint service store getting checked out. I'm past the 30 days but I do have the $7 Sprint insurance. I was initially told that if they discover a problem, they will need to order a replacement Pre for me, hopefully at no charge. I will know the answer in another 1/2 hour from now. Other than poor reception at home which is unacceptable, my Pre works fine.
    Ask the Airave group what one phone is causing them to be flooded with new Airave requests...

They will tell you that they now spend their days talking to Sprint customers who never had a reception issue at home or work until they got their Pre.

Conjecture has also been that other Sprint phones will go to roaming more quickly before the signal is dropped.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post

Okay, here's my update:

The service person tells me there is nothing wrong with the reception on my Pre, and everything is within normal parameters. Oh great, now what? I do have the Sprint insurance. Should I just break my phone and pay the $100 deductible to get a replacement?
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    My Pre goes from 5 bars and EVDO to 1 bar and 1x as I sit still. I drop calls now where my Sprint BB Curve had strong reception. Not happy with Palm.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Ok, here's my update: I got a new device about a week and a half ago. I seem to be getting the same reception as before at my house. That said_ I have made 3 trips in the past 10 days and the phone has worked flawlessly (Chicago, South Bend and Dallas). So, it appears that the Pre really struggles when the signal is weak (ie. my house) but does fine in areas with very strong signal.

That should be something they can fix with a fw update..
    Quote Originally Posted by mbgibbs13 View Post
    So, it appears that the Pre really struggles when the signal is weak (ie. my house) but does fine in areas with very strong signal.

That should be something they can fix with a fw update..
    Thought we established this long ago? You can bet Palm/Sprint know this by now.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I have been concerned about how "fuzzy" my calls sounded, regardless of how many bars I had showing. Yesterday I tried changing my network setting to "Sprint Only" and my calls now appear to be much clearer. People I am talking to notice it as well. I am not sure yet, but it seems that my battery life may also be longer. I live in PHX and there is generally OK Sprint coverage, so I am probably OK only turning on the roaming option if I leave town.
    Quote Originally Posted by hjmillre View Post
    I have been concerned about how "fuzzy" my calls sounded, regardless of how many bars I had showing. Yesterday I tried changing my network setting to "Sprint Only" and my calls now appear to be much clearer. People I am talking to notice it as well. I am not sure yet, but it seems that my battery life may also be longer. I live in PHX and there is generally OK Sprint coverage, so I am probably OK only turning on the roaming option if I leave town.
    The question is, now that you're using the Sprint network only, can you hear the pin drop?
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    This reception issue continues to baffle me. Yesterday I had perhaps the best signal strength I have ever had. Naturally the battery life followed right along with it. Today is probably the worst reception I have ever had. I've already done a few warm resets and it makes no difference. Enabling roaming didn't help either. I had a strong Vzn signal for a minute but my Pre decided that a 0-1 bar Sprint signal was better, until it decides the Vzn signal is better....
    I just finally got my Pre after a long wait (mainly do to a Sprint F up). I considered waiting because of all the complaints of reception and other issues. However, I bit the bullet. They day I got my phone, got a call of a family emergency. Before I left to trek across rural ND, updated network and PRL. On the trip, I received just as good if not better signal/reception than I have had on my Treo 700w.
    Yep, I think the PRL is key. Just tried updating mine and am hoping to get better then 1-2 bars at home.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    is anyone able to update their prl without getting the 'turn off airplane mode' message?
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I've had similar reception issues and only way I could keep the signal from jumping all over the place was to turn off roaming. If I'm in an area where I have no Sprint signal, I'll turn roaming on, but it seems like the pre tries to jump between home and roaming way too much.

If I had to guess, I think there are actually 2 issues:

1) When the battery gets lower, the phone throttles power the antenna in an attempt to conserve battery strength (the best analogy I can think of goes back to Intel laptop processors from a few years back that used to lower the speed of the CPU when the laptop was running on battery power)

2) The Pre jumps back and forth between a weak Sprint signal and a roaming signal way too much. This seems to have a big impact on battery life.

Please note that the issues above are simply observations of mine and are not based on anything other than me playing around with my Pre. I'm a software developer, not into hardware, so I could just be talking out of my a** !

Even if I don't know what I'm talking about, I've noticed that the Pre is capable of getting great reception. Therefore, I am pretty optimistic that reception can be improved via a firmware update.

This is my first Palm device so all these Palm veterans mentioning how slow Palm has historically been doing firmware updates makes me a little nervous. However, I think that Palm has way too much riding on webOS to be slow in updating the OS.

My guess is that by the time webOS is with more carriers than Sprint, the OS will be solid.....welcome to life as an early adapter (aka beta tester) !