Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast
    we'll I just got back from a get together about 15 minutes from where I live and I had an X on the bar section that shows you how many bars you have on yor phone . A lot of other people there had IPhones was giving me S%%t about how I had a x for a singal , I have never seen that befor and my wifes instink has 3 bars on it , lol, I just dont understand whats the problem with this phone getting a good singal
    At least at home I'm getting Airrave Monday.
    My reception is great, but it was great in my area(s) with my old Treo and Samsung Uproar prior to that as well. Have I been here long enough to comment, chodaboy?

I think it's fair that when a thread develops with the title "horrible reception" for those who do not have said problem to comment thusly. No point whinging on about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    REALLY?!!! I have been a Sprint customer for at least a decade and have not only NEVER HEARD THAT BEFORE, but I have NEVER HAD THIS RECEPTION PROBLEM WITH ANY OTHER PHONE.
    I always put my Sprint phones in Sprint Only mode. Maybe's it's not so 'well known'. It seems like it just works better for me no matter what the device. I don't want to roam if I don't have have to and it just seems like the device will lock in better if you force it to. I don't have any reception issue with the Pre. I just do this as a general rule. My area is in full Sprint coverage and there should be NO reason to even bother looking for another network.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Well I tried some of the suggestions to no avail. I enabled Sprint Only mode and then kept losing service so I put it back on automatic. I deleted my google calendar account and nothing changed either. I'm tempted to erase my gmail acct but then what's the point. To the gentleman getting on my case for having 1 post....I've been with sprint for over 10 years and never experienced this amount of dropped calls/poor reception or having to reset my phone to get my internet connection working. I have always used high end phones ( sanyo mm9000, treo 755p, etc) and expected similar performance from the Pre.
    My pre has been awful as far as reception goes. And not just bad or something that has been a hassle...I mean awful.

My gf lives with me and has sprint on her cell phone (non palm) and she gets great reception at our place. My last phone was great. I always...literally, always as in can't think of a time when I didn't have service in my hometown, had reception. The pre bounces around from little to no bars to roaming all while I'll be next to my girlfriends phone and she has perfect reception.

Just got back from a trip to Kentucky, had both phones in the car ride. 8 hour trip and I was on roaming for just about the whole leg. Meanwhile her phone had service after we got 20 minutes out past the lake.

This phone has let me down in a few ways. I have a replacement ordered and ready to pick up. Hopefully I'll notice a difference, I doubt I will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sc000t View Post
    My pre has been awful as far as reception goes. And not just bad or something that has been a hassle...I mean awful.

My gf lives with me and has sprint on her cell phone (non palm) and she gets great reception at our place. My last phone was great. I always...literally, always as in can't think of a time when I didn't have service in my hometown, had reception. The pre bounces around from little to no bars to roaming all while I'll be next to my girlfriends phone and she has perfect reception.

Just got back from a trip to Kentucky, had both phones in the car ride. 8 hour trip and I was on roaming for just about the whole leg. Meanwhile her phone had service after we got 20 minutes out past the lake.

This phone has let me down in a few ways. I have a replacement ordered and ready to pick up. Hopefully I'll notice a difference, I doubt I will.
    This definitely sounds like a bad individual hardware unit. Let us know how the new one does.
    The reception on my Pre isn't near as good as my old HTC Touch from Sprint was. Mine was constantly jumping back and forth between roaming and Ev... with firmware 1.0.2 the battery wouldn't last more than 3 hours when this was happening (after a full charge)!

I upgraded it to 1.0.3 and that fixed the battery consumption issue but it still roams a ton. I'll have to try the "Sprint Only" option when i get my replacement for the cracked screen issue.

What is an AirRave? <--- nevermind found out what that is.
    Last edited by Hemi345; 07/06/2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: found details on Airave.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    My reception actually got better after I got my Pre. With my last phone, it got to the point where I could only make calls standing next to the windows of my apartment, and then not at all.

With the Pre, I can walk anywhere in my apartment, and get a signal. So, I don't have any issues.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    So I make this trip from Lafayette, LA to Ocala, FL every months. Twelve hours each way. Been doing this for four years or so. I used to tether my MacBook Pro to my Treo via USB Modem and worked along the way. Built an entire website on a stretch of highway between Tallahassee and Lake City, Fla.

I tried to check the weather last week on my Pre. No bars - no dice. Tried to get to the web. It asked me to invoke Wifi. I could roam, but I couldn't get online.

Quite frustrating to see the reception so poor on the phone. I remember when I got my Treo how exciting it was to see full bars almost everywhere. I've certainly stepped up in computer gadgetry but taken a giant step backwards in telecommunications.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    While looking for any kind of solution (or evidence to place blame) about the reception issues, I came across this page that describes something to the reception problems many of us seem to have. For those that are more knowledgeable about CDMA implementation, does this seem like it could explain some of the reception issues some people are having?

CDMA faq

Some excerpts I found applicable:
    A big problem facing CDMA systems is channel pollution. This occurs when signals from too many base stations are present at the subscriber's phone, but none are dominant. When this situation occurs the audio quality degrades rapidly, even when the signal seem otherwise very strong. Pollution occurs frequently in densely populated urban environments where service providers must build many sites in close proximity. Channel pollution can also result from massive multipath problems caused by many tall buildings. Taming pollution is a tuning and system design issue. It is up to the service provider to reduce this phenomenon as much as possible.

CDMA does have one peculiarity concerning in-building penetration that does not affect TDMA. When the number of users on a channel goes up, the general level of signal pollution goes up in tandem. To compensate for this the CDMA system directs each phone to transmit with slightly more power. However, if a phone is already at its limit (such as might be the case inside a building) it cannot do anything to "keep up with the pack". This condition is known as "the shrinking coverage phenomenon" or "site breathing". During slow periods of the day you might find coverage inside a specific building quite good. During rush hour however, you might find it exceedingly poor (or non-existent). Think of this as the difference between one person calling a number and an entire call center calling the number. The less people using the system, the more likely the call will go through
    I just started having the network connection issue yesterday afternoon. I thought I was just in a deadzone. FYI - I live just outside of Washington DC where Sprint signal is VERY good. I soon realized the problem is with the phone and not the network. My phone keeps going off the network. It goes from 5 bars with EV to Phone Offline to No Service to 5 Bars with or without EV...repeat. Meanwhile my battery is going dead after about 3 hours of it being off the charger. I called tech support and they told me to basically just exchange the phone. I just swapped the phone with no hassles in the Sprint store where I purchased the phone. My new phone is on the charger and the SAME EXACT ISSUE is happening. I can't even do the 1.0.4 update, Google Synching, PRL updates, or Network Settings updates. It goes offline every 20 seconds and is only only for about 10 - 20 seconds. Switching between AM and regular does not help. This issue needs to get high visibility and be escalated immediately. Please let me know if anyone finds a solution on their own. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I've been following my signal strength issues continuously. The odd thing I see is that signal strength varies from day to day. Fridays have generally been good. This would fit the theory in my post above as its probably the day the most people are out of the office and business is slower. That has been consistent until today. I couldn't even get a fleeting 4 or 5 bar signal, not even for a few seconds, today. Just yesterday my Pre spent most of the day with 3-5 bars. RSSI yesterday was consistently around -100 and ic/ec was below -10. Today RSSI is consistently -110 and ic/ec is -10 or worse. This is all in the exact same place as my phone sits every day. As a result I went from 100% battery at 7:15 when I took it off the charger to 10% at 12:45.
    Independence, MO area, which is a suburb of Kansas City. My Pre lives on mostly 1 bar. I can still make calls and surf. However, its killing my battery life. I've done the network update, PRL update, changed to Sprint only, all to no avail. Got mine on 7/1. Love the phone but may have to go back to my Curve. At least I didn't have to worry about battery life with it.
    Yeah, that's the biggie on this phone: calls drop in fringe areas. I was actually very relieved for the better part of a year with network improvements as I hadn't dropped a call in more than a year regardless of where I went. There were areas with low signal but most of the previous phones I tried held the signal clearly and didn't drop the calls. The Pre definitely drops calls. Not much I can do today but I will be giving the Tour a try in the next couple of days. Even that is a hard choice as the Pre browser and multitasking is almost impossible to give up especially compared to the Blackberry platform and browser limitations. I may end up having two phones: one for voice calls and one for SMS/data/PDA.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Called Sprint support this afternoon and advanced tech said that signal issue likely is a hardware problem with the Pre. He sent me to my local store which has a repair center. The repair tech indicated that he was familiar with the reception issues on the Pre. I was given a new one since I'm within my 30 days. I'm hoping to fare better this time. I really like the webOS and the Pre hardware, and don't really want to go back to my Curve.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    Called Sprint support this afternoon and advanced tech said that signal issue likely is a hardware problem with the Pre. He sent me to my local store which has a repair center. The repair tech indicated that he was familiar with the reception issues on the Pre. I was given a new one since I'm within my 30 days. I'm hoping to fare better this time. I really like the webOS and the Pre hardware, and don't really want to go back to my Curve.

Please let us know how the new one does for you.
    I also get terrible reception on my Pre at home. My phone switches from no signal at all to roaming with no bars. I can't even send a text message, or receive one at that. But with my Centro I didn't have that problem at all. I could use my phone throughout the house. Its very annoying!!
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Always have good reception here in yhe mid west!!!!
    Same type of thing has happened with me. I've previously had a BB and a 755p, both of which had great signals all the time. This phone has a poor signal 50% of the time, and it fluctuates between EVDO and 1x, which also makes my phone heat up pretty badly. This also happens with my phone when I open multiple cards on my phone (about 3 to 5), which is odd, but what can I do. This is my third phone, and it is a lot better than the other ones.