Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    I am at a loss on the reception issues. My Pre gets much worse reception than my 755p and 700p while sitting in the exact same spot on my desk at work as the others. I've tried Sprint only, Sprint/Roam and all the different ##EVDO# settings. Sometimes my signal improves for a few minutes or hours. Some days my signal is pretty good all day, like last Friday. Some days, like today, it was a challenge to get any connection on any setting. Soft resets don't make a difference. I've missed more calls and texts in the last month than I have in 8 prior years of Sprint service. I love the phone but if I can't get a signal half the time, and its dead the other half from looking for said non-existent signal, what use is it to me?
    That's the same boat I'm in. I've tried the set it to sprint only (thats how I had my treo 755 set) and I all I ended up with was a phone that couldn't pick up a signal. Now I've sat at the same desk for the last year years and I've never had these reception issues with my treo. So in my eyes this is a Pre issue. I've called both Sprint and Palm and they both suggest me exchanging the phone. The time I went in a store to do the exchange the pre they wanted to give me had a crazy wobbly screen so I got put on a list.
    Interestingly, while I can't vouch for the reception bars issue (mine do fluctuate), not only have I never dropped a call with my Pre but I've also had some of the best reception I can remember having with a cell phone. At the other end of the spectrum, my worst reception hasn't been any worse than I can remember with other phones.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I've compared RSSI values between my 755 and Pre - no significant difference. Over the years, the treo signal quality kept improving between handsets, at least from my experience. Sprint coverage in the Bay Area is superb, so I never have complaints. Could it be a bad batch of antenna assemblies on some Pres?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    It's your service area or YOUR pre.
    I had perfect service with my mogul @ home and same with the pre
    I had NO service with my mogul @ work and same with the pre
    im so sick of people thinking palm shipped a flagship phone with a mass defective cellular radio. It isn't the phone. /end
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    im so sick of people thinking palm shipped a flagship phone with a mass defective cellular radio. It isn't the phone. /end
    How do you know it's not the phone? I've sat at the same desk for the last year years and I never had a problem with reception, but not all of sudden my desk is a dead zone? I'm a huge palm fan, but the Pre has problems. You don't have to be blind to enjoy your product or love a brand just be real about what going on. Do you think people spent $327.00 on a phone with hopes of getting to ***** about it on the internet? Think about it...
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I just went on a trip to NM and souther CO. I actually had pretty good reception. My wife has a Samsung Rumor and I was able to receive and make calls while she couldn't. I was rather suprised by this. So it would appear I have pretty good reception with my Pre. Seems to be at least as good as my previous Sanyo .
    My service SUCKED. I called Palm, I called Sprint Tech Support, I took it to the store, supposedly within perameters.

At home area, it is usually okay, but summer lake home is in Good area. Couldn't make or receive calls where I always have, where other Sprint phones worked, etc.

Everytime, its "first time we have heard of this" but got a guy in Tier 2 who tested, changed towers, told me to go have Service do antenna test. It failed so swapped out.

New phone, newer build does seem to have better signal at home so far, but the test is tomorrow when I go back to lake. Will see if it works.

I do honestly feel this is a Pre issue. Love my phone, will use my husband's while at lake, and whine under my breath, but I honestly do feel it is worse coverage in areas that aren't "major" cities, meaning outlying areas where a lot of folks live, vacation, and drive through. Service is important
    I too am in the SF Bay Area and Sprint is wonderful out here. I don't really have any reception problems but it was nice being able to use my Centro in underground garages and such.

My Pre and Centro, side by side, show exactly the same db signal level in 1x. EVDO on the Centro shows about 10db better. So obviously the Treo/Centro EVDO rev 0 radio has better reception. The Pre's radio is a different chip. (EVDO rev A)

Since 1x seems to be holding just as strong as a signal as my Centro, I think Palm/Sprint have some work to do one the EVDO to 1x handoff and vice versa. This is where the problem is coming from I believe.

You will also notice the bars on the phone maybe go from 1-2 bars to full bars when you use data. This is because the radio in the Pre is boosting it's power to get a better signal. This is tough to program for because you want the phone to have a good signal, but you also want the battery life to be good.

Give it time. That's easy for me to say, as I am not having any serious reception problems here in the bay.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Interestingly, while I can't vouch for the reception bars issue (mine do fluctuate), not only have I never dropped a call with my Pre but I've also had some of the best reception I can remember having with a cell phone. At the other end of the spectrum, my worst reception hasn't been any worse than I can remember with other phones.
    How did you post here from the Bizarro universe?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Hi all. First time poster, but long time lurker and Pre owner since launch day. Like some of you, I am having horrible reception problems as well. First off, I love my Pre. Admittedly, this is my first smart phone, so I don't have anything to compare it to. As far as the recption goes, my last phone (Sanyo) did not have any reception problems in my house. In fact, I don't recall a call ever dropping at home. However, with my Pre, I range from 0 to 2 bars, mostly 0 in my house.

I called Sprint, and made it to a 2nd level rep. She tested the towers in my area and all was well. She suggested that I switch to Sprint only (no roam) and this did not make any difference. She then recommended that I go exchange the phone, but my wife's pre gets the exact same reception, so the rep agreed that it was probably not a hardware problem. Ultimately, she sent me to retentions, and they are sending me an airrave.

While I appreciate the fact that they are sending me an airrave, the fact that I have to have another device to get me service is a bit unsettling. I don't understand how this phone, which is supposedly a better technology phone, is performing worse, reception wise, that a phone that not only has older technology, but is also about the 3rd of the cost.

I plan on keeping my phone and hope that Sprint/Palm are able to figure out this issue.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    There are so many threads on this subject that there must be a solid basis for it. I posted two polls trying to understand if this was a quality control issue or a handset issue

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...al-issues.html

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...onnection.html

I used the pre for 27 days, and found that I had an unacceptable dropped call/missed call/unable to make call rate that I did not have with other phones. I am a vzw user and returned the pre and am back to my treo 700p. However, prior to the pre's release, I borrowed a sprint phone from my local sprint store to determine if reception was adequate. I used that phone for a week, and did not have the issues that I have with the pre.

Sprint CS (called 4 times) and Palm CS (called twice) denied that this problem exists. My store claims I am the first one who has returned it for this reason, but the sprint advocate herself says she has similar issues with it. To this day I am not sure if this is a quality control issue vs hardware vs software issue. Oh, and BTW, I tried just about everything (Sprint only, network and PRL updates often, resets, etc...) except the Roam Only Hack, as I have not rooted my pre. I continue to follow these forums closely, patiently awaiting the day when I can return to the pre, because I love the phone and o.s.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    I am so sick of people (especially ones with a one or two month old membership here) with such a nasty attitude -- especially toward people who HAVE a problem and are seeking help resolving it.

JUST BECAUSE YOU DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM, IT DOES NOT MEAN OTHER PEOPLE CANNOT. IF YOUR PHONE IS PERFECT, ENJOY IT IN PEACE AND LEAVE THE OTHERS ALONE!
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    Do you think palm will ever fix the signal issues? I'm finding the pre to be the worst as far as reception is concerned. My 755p was rock solid with its internal antenna, never ever dropped a call....my Pre on the other hand has dropped a handful of calls and throws fits looking for a signal. I spend more time on roaming than ever before. I hope ur viewing this thread Palm.

Why do people with like 1 post feel the need to post a thread with such a ridiculous title. I guess it's a good way to get attention. It's pretty well known that it's all most always better to put any Sprint phone in Sprint only mode. You only have one post so why bother asking questions...just come on in and tell everyone how things are.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post
    It's pretty well known that it's all most always better to put any Sprint phone in Sprint only mode.
    REALLY?!!! I have been a Sprint customer for at least a decade and have not only NEVER HEARD THAT BEFORE, but I have NEVER HAD THIS RECEPTION PROBLEM WITH ANY OTHER PHONE.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    +1

15 years with Sprint. Never had a noticible reception problem with any phone prior to the PRE. I love the phone and the Sprint plan I'm on. However, I'm taking the phone back on Monday. Hopefully a revised model will be out in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    REALLY?!!! I have been a Sprint customer for at least a decade and have not only NEVER HEARD THAT BEFORE, but I have NEVER HAD THIS RECEPTION PROBLEM WITH ANY OTHER PHONE.
    we also have had terrible reception at home, since getting the pre.
    I wanted to get rid of it, my other says no.
    We bought the air rave & now have full bars & I'm back to loving the Pre.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    There is a thread at the Palm Support Forum about signal issues and says that they are caused by Google sync issues and they go away if you remove the Google account.

I am curious where everyone is syncing to that has phone signal problems...Google, Palm profile or Outlook. I am going to try removing my Google account and sync to Outlook with PocketMirror to see if that fixes the problem.
    I dont wont to take the phone back , ut its getting hard to keep it with the singal problem, I was on the way home Thursday on the wide open interstate talking to the wife on her sprint phone , call between us was drop 4 time within 15 minutes . Its not the only time I have had drop calls ,bad reception , miss calls ,on this phone. The instinct I had befor it has some as well not as many . The other phones I have had in the last 9 years has never ( that I remember ) had this problem . The other thing is I just get tired of changing out phones + If I took it back a week later they might send out an Update and fix a lot of things ,
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    So I went to the Sprint store yesterday and they tested the reception on mine and my wife's phone and both came back as not functioning properly. They replaced both of them. I went back today as the reception was not better at my house to get them to recheck the phones. Again, they both came back as malfunctioning. They again replaced both of them, and I had them check the replacements, with both of them coming back again as malfunctioning. Since 6 phones came back with negative results, we quickly determined that there must be something wrong with their testing equipment.

I then had a conversation with a Sprint rep. She said that my old phone was using 2G technology, which worked perfectly at my house. The new phone is using 3G, which does not appear to be as strong where I live. This explains why my old phone seems to be getting a better signal. She said that they are suppose to be switching to the 4G network by the end of the year, which should provide better results.
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty View Post
    There is a thread at the Palm Support Forum about signal issues and says that they are caused by Google sync issues and they go away if you remove the Google account.

I am curious where everyone is syncing to that has phone signal problems...Google, Palm profile or Outlook. I am going to try removing my Google account and sync to Outlook with PocketMirror to see if that fixes the problem.
    Tried the solution there and it worked - at least so far. The real test is my poor signal at work.