Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast
    Although my personal experience has shown that the Pre has a weaker signal than other Sprint phones let's make sure we are comparing apples to apples. There are different values for 1X and EVDO. When doing ##DEBUG# both signal strengths are shown with 1X being shown first and then EVDO signal strength being shown while scrolling further down on this screen.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Dallas Tx, 1 to 5 bars called yesterday and of course they are going to check the tower (WHATEVER LIKE THEY HAVE ONE OF THOSE OLD ANTINA MOVERS WE USE TO HAVE ON THE TOP OF THE TV TO ROTATE THE TOWER MORE TO MY SIDE OF THE STREET) , I did the changes in the prefs and a little better today
    I have almost never lose signal at home or work with my Treo 755p, but now it happens all the time. I've always have bad signal in my parents house, but now it is worst. I get 0 signal and constantly roaming. Palm needs to fix this ASAP because it is very frustrating.
    I haven't read the posts, but want to add mine to this so Sprint and Palm see this.
    I love this phone, but it has the worst reception I have ever had in 11 years with Nextel/Sprint. I feel I'm back on Nextel early on.
    Service sucks, dropping calls, no signal, 1x to Roam. It is my phone, not Sprint, I set and try it next to 4 other Sprint phones, all working.

I have updated to 1.03, network, prl, nothing is helping.

Sprint and Palm need to address this, I want them to address this, state problem and what will be done in a timely manner.

This is a phone, it must work, everything else is just fun or useful, cool to have. That is why they are called smartphones, but note name.

If there is a problem, acknowledge and fix it. That is no big deal, you will lose a few customers, but make a lot of us happy.

Airaves are not the answer, only a bandaid, how many of these are now floating. And they aren't the answer to a cell phone problem, which is used everywhere.

If this doesn't happen, I'm afraid there will be an influx of returns. This is not good for either of them. We have patience, we are waiting on other issues, app store, etc. We can play with our new toys, but this must be handled!!

Mum is not the word, this will cause long term problems and not what I want to see happen.

Forget the little things, they will be addressed, get service to top priority!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    After exchanging my pre because of the signal issue, sprint called me yesterday to do a follow up. I told him that I am still having a signal problem, and he sent me a free airave with the free service. It came in today and now everything is great. I was only having a signal problem in my house. It works just about every where else. The service at my local sprint store and over the phone have been amazing. Great job Sprint.
    Service still bad where I live and work. They have about 13 days to fix it on I am off to get an Iphone.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Do you think palm will ever fix the signal issues? I'm finding the pre to be the worst as far as reception is concerned. My 755p was rock solid with its internal antenna, never ever dropped a call....my Pre on the other hand has dropped a handful of calls and throws fits looking for a signal. I spend more time on roaming than ever before. I hope ur viewing this thread Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    Do you think palm will ever fix the signal issues? I'm finding the pre to be the worst as far as reception is concerned. My 755p was rock solid with its internal antenna, never ever dropped a call....my Pre on the other hand has dropped a handful of calls and throws fits looking for a signal. I spend more time on roaming than ever before. I hope ur viewing this thread Palm.
    I to came from a 755 that had awesome reception, as I sit at my desk now my Pre is in 1x R with jumping signal strength, as I'm typing this it's switched to 3G with no bars to 1x to 3G with full bars back to 1x. This is crazy and the only real reason I'm thinking about returning my Pre and getting a Treo Pro or a used 755 off ebay (I sent mine into Sprint for buy back)
    They say "the first step in solving a problem is admitting that you have one"....I went through 4 handsets before finally giving up. EVERYONE I talked to at palm and at sprint gave me the same "wow, this is the first we've ever heard of this" speech......would be kind of humorous if there weren't so many people involved......
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I've had the Pre since launch day and haven't dropped a call yet or lost my EVDO signal, so I'm not sure what it is you want Palm to fix. Granted it might be a quality control issue with your phone(s), but since mine works perfectly, and so do a clear majority of Pres. it doesn't seem to be a design issue at all. I'm really happy with the phone and am ready to buy two more.
    Last edited by fredc1; 07/02/2009 at 11:25 AM.
    the reception for me has been getting better and better as the weeks go by. I now have full service or no less then 3 bars whereever i go. The launch week was a disaster i had 1 bar i think tops all week.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Switch the phone to Sprint only. Problem solved.

Phone app -> preferences -> Sprint Only.

Personally, I never have problems, but I do notice strong signal fluctuations when data is being used. Don't know what it is, but I can be using the browser or something, and when data is transferring, the signal will fluctuate from full to 2 bars to full to no bars.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    You should post this on the Palm support Forums, they are probably more likely to see the thread there.

I've had no problems with my reception, I get better reception in NY with Sprint than I did with Verizon.
    I came from a Centro and there is no question that the Pre is worse, just about everywhere I go. I had the Centro for 8-9 months and dropped maybe 5 calls. I've dropped a dozen calls in the Pre in a month's time and I've had horrible reception even more frequently.

If it wasn't for my addiction to webOS I'd probably bail on it. I will stick with it though.
    The Pre is strange. Sitting in my dad's apartment, it sits at 5 bars then occasionally goes to 3, then 4, then 5. No rhyme or reason. It gets annoying
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
    The Pre is strange. Sitting in my dad's apartment, it sits at 5 bars then occasionally goes to 3, then 4, then 5. No rhyme or reason. It gets annoying
    Most phones don't stay at one constant signal, all the time; they fluctuate. It's not weird, and the only way I could think it was annoying is if the phone stopped working. Are you unable to make or receive calls?
    It would seem some people around here do not understand the problem. I can put my Treo 700p next to my Pre. Both are Sprint, so both are using the same network. Both are EVDO, but the Treo is Rev 0 and the Pre is Rev A. The 700p shows 4 or 5 bars and the bars do not come and go. The number of bars stays steady. The Pre shows 2, 3, ROAM, 5, 3, 2, ROAM, 3, 5, etc. bars.

Two different phones in the same location using the exact same network. The Pre shows at least one to two bars less than the Treo. The RSSI value is 10db worse for the Pre.

Hopefully, this is something that can be corrected OTA, but there definitely is a problem for many Pre owners around here, maybe not all.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I concur with the horrible reception. We have superb Sprint reception in our town. The Pre shows the same behavior as the previous poster. Crazy flucuations and many dropped calls.

I don't recall ever dropping a call in the past with Sprint. The problem is that this issue needs to be more public on websites. I know at least 10 people across the county having the behavior I am.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I am at a loss on the reception issues. My Pre gets much worse reception than my 755p and 700p while sitting in the exact same spot on my desk at work as the others. I've tried Sprint only, Sprint/Roam and all the different ##EVDO# settings. Sometimes my signal improves for a few minutes or hours. Some days my signal is pretty good all day, like last Friday. Some days, like today, it was a challenge to get any connection on any setting. Soft resets don't make a difference. I've missed more calls and texts in the last month than I have in 8 prior years of Sprint service. I love the phone but if I can't get a signal half the time, and its dead the other half from looking for said non-existent signal, what use is it to me?
    I can see the HORRIBLE BAD UNJUSTIFIED reception as the main issue with the Palm Pre. I hope Palm is working on a fix for this even if it means less battery life.

Do we need to start a petition so that they can come out and tell us that they are fixing this issue? or we are just screwed?